Extra Credits' Portnow Launches Games For Good Rockethub

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I hope James can get this done right. It's a fantastic idea. And much better than simply procrastinating.

"Oh don't worry, it'll go away eventually"

No one can possibly know that. What if one of these anti-game bills gets passed?

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
As much as I love the idea, I detest almost all forms of Lobbyism (Save individual Citizens who come with no money in their pockets, but words in their heads and on Paper). I simply cannot support this idea.
synobal said:
Wish he was doing something good like trying to get money out of politics instead of just trying to lobby himself. We need more money in politics like we need a toothache.
This is hardly injecting more money in to politics. $50k is enough to cover sending one person to DC for one year to lobby. Compare this to the billions that corporations spend on lobbying every year and this is a drop in the bucket.

Hopefully we can start getting well-spoken, experienced people onto news talk shows supporting video games the next time some politician decries games as "murder simulators".

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
EC announced this over two weeks ago. I guess now it's becoming a little more known since they're already half-way to their goal. But regardless of that, I commend James for the effort. I hope that his campaign goes over well.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I've always rather liked these guys. If nothing else, they have some excellent ideas and definitely know what they're talking about. Best of luck to them. I'd contribute but, as is almost always the case, I'm shit broke.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I've been keeping up with EC on youtube - they really do give a fun yet intelligent and reasoned presentation on gaming and I still can't believe Escapist, a website dedicated to gaming and entertainment, pushed them out the way they did. I wouldn't expect a complete reconciliation and see EC come back here, but I feel like proper amends haven't been made yet (that I know of) and I'd feel a lot better about supporting this site if they did.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
paradox is backing this with codes for their games at some of the tiers (history and all that) which is pretty cool, and reminds my that they are one of the best game companies around

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
OT: It's good to see that he's trying to make a change for the better in the industry, so I won't knock him for trying. Although we all know what happened the last time he had a Rockethub =P
Actually... I don't. I mean, I know what all went down with them getting kicked off this site for not sharing their earnings with their bosses, but it's been ages since I heard about the actual Indie Fund being used for anything. Have they actually found a project to back with it yet? It's been, like, years now.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Oh, gods, him again. He talks a big game, but so does Peter Molyneux. Well, let's see what he has to say.

(Clicks.)

No audio. Well, that's helpful.

(Cranks up sound.) No audio.

(Different browser.) No audio.

(Different unrelated video.) LOUD audio!

Okay, I can't debate his exact words because I can't hear them. But his premise is still inherently flawed.

Portnow wants to start lobbying in DC to stop proposed anti-game legislation,
Assumes people like Leland Yee can be stopped by one man or a small group of people telling him he's wrong. They can't. People have already tried - a moral guardian will not be swerved by an agent of the Satan he fights, and a politician will not be swerved from pandering to a demographic if it doesn't lose him anything. Seriously, what are all the left-leaning 20- and 30-something gamers going to do to him? Vote for the Republican?

start a 'games for good' jam to ensure that more such games are produced,
Oh, goody, another game jam.

and start lobbying to change the way grants for educational and science games work to make sure that games you'd actually want to play get funded.
I'd like to see how that'd be doable. Change a grant system and make a playable educational game? Both are bloody difficult, trying to do two at once is impossible.

"Every year I see tens of millions of dollars wasted," says Portnow, "on games that don't engage; flash cards with 3D avatars and training simulators that are less engaging than reading the manual."
Wait, training simulators? Like flight sims for pilots? I'd want a pilot to have some hours flying a fake plane before he was put in a real one, even if what he really wants to do is fly through the air like a bird. A kid with a learners permit gets similar simulation training by tooling around back roads and in empty parking lots where they can get a feel for the controls without much risk of hitting things. Simulation is important even when it isn't very fun!

But communication is at the heart of Portnow's plan; by creating a dialogue, putting up an alternative to the 'murder simulator' trope that the mainstream media still turns to, Portnow hopes to create a better world for gamers.
Yeah, like how the Comics Code Authority, 'devil music' rock and roll panics, and D&D Satanism hysteria were defeated by constant lobbying by DC/EMI/TSR and not by gradual societal change or market forces. And slow dancing? The slow-dancing lobby sunk MILLIONS into letting fully-dressed boys and girls hold each other and move around a bit!

Let me explain something: Society is always declining. Our children are always being seduced by some evil or made lazy by some innovation. It has been at least since writing destroyed oral storytelling and probably since cave painting destroyed the time-honored tradition of sitting around the fire scratching one's ass and waiting to fall asleep.

And yet, we're still here. New demons rise every day, and old ones are subsumed into the mainstream.

"I don't want my nieces and nephews to grow up and have to fight this fight," Portnow concludes.
They won't. Because by the time they're grown up, gamers will hold high office.

"I don't want them to have to be embarrassed about their hobby
Are there still gamers embarrassed about their hobby? Really? Do we shame the people who play Angry Birds on their phones?

or live in a world that misses out on all the good games can do because we never really tried to change the conversation."
"Change the conversation" implies, to me anyway, cultural change. The main thrust of this initiative is political. Not the same thing.

Jun 23, 2008
I pretty much agree with Mr. Portnow. (I'm, after all, in the choir.) But he does kinda talk like a stoned '60s hippy talking about world peace, love, pluralism and social equality.

I hope he gets his funding. I think it can make some real difference.

238U

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Extra Credits, please, once again, I have said this before and I'll say this again:

THE WORLD IS NOT AS BAD, IGNORANT AND HOSTILE AS YOU MAKE IT OUT TO BE.

The conversation does not need changing. It only needs to be engaged in. Creating ten billion initiatives that all are too weak to have any impact is NOT going to help. There are plenty of existing political fora out there, pluralism IS a reality. Pleast get off your soap-box and start actually talking to people.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
cricket chirps said:
It's good that someone is even trying this but i feel it is already an inevitable change. We have to deal with it now just like the music industry did before and the TV industry did before that. But as generation succeedes generation the problem will no longer exist really. Just as nerd culture has become the ever popular power of the time, games will reach the same level inevitably. Just have to be patient.
Just personal opinion, but I think popular opinion on previous forms of media changed mainly because people were advocating for them as a legitimate form of media. Right now, gaming is hugely popular, spanning all sorts of different systems. More people are playing than ever before, but we still have a lot of people, many of whom are in places of power and/or influence, proclaiming that video games cause violence, that video games are making kids dumber, that video games blah blah blah blah blah.

And being in positions of power and/or influence, these views are going to stick with a lot of people who still aren't open to the idea of gaming as a legitimate form of media. The ill-informed conclusions will stay with the ones who listen, to be perpetuated until they come to a stop. Efforts like this are a step toward that.

Yes, other forms of media have garnered respect over the years, but not because they sat around waiting for the generation of opposing viewpoints to die out. They went out and earned their respect.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh god, he's still got the douchey beard :D

I haven't watched EC in long time, despite visiting Penny Arcade quite frequently.

I recall them wanting to start the whole Games for Good thing, but that was ages ago. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
His beard is similar to my beard. By insulting his beard, you have insulted my beard.

OT:
A lovely idea, too bad people that choose to ignore evidence and hate video games for simply existing aren't going to be swayed by a single damned thing. The only thing we can really do is just ignore them until they decide to target something else to have knee-jerk reactions and spout uneducated drivel towards.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
He didn't feel the call to action merited both left and right stereo channels...?

OT: the script here is pretty much an echo of the sentiment espoused in their same-titled 'Games for Good' EC episode that aired a couple weeks back. I find the notion of funding gaming evangelism a bit quaint and think maybe he should deal with the outstanding Extra Credits "Indie Fund" rockethub money they had pledged to use before ordering a second course, but if I put down my well worn goggles of internet cynicism and distrust, it does seem like a nice thing with passionate people behind it.

Tip of the hat and wishes of luck. :)

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I've always tuned in to Extra Credits every Wednesday. It's a great show that offers excellent discussion and insight into video games and the culture surrounding it. They've always had a big heart and a drive to better this industry. I hope this drive goes above and beyond its expectations because its high time we start changing the battle plans anytime video games end up as the scapegoat whenever something goes wrong.