Company of Heroes 2 Review: It's Very Cold in Russia

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Company of Heroes 2 Review: It's Very Cold in Russia

COH2 reminds you why the first one was so damn great.

Read Full Article

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wait, when did this suddenly get released?
i loved the first one(ok, i love everything relic does) and i had absolutely no idea this was almost out.
this must be what Stalin felt like on June 22.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Still a bit sad they're doing $60 pricing for a PC exclusive.
I love CoH and I love Relic but $60 is a lot for me to justify right now.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I liked the first COH, but I'm sitting this one out for a while until the price drops. Relic can still tide me over with Retribution.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Beta was very promising.

It's going to be interesting to see what Relic do next under the same roof as Creative Assembly. :p

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Why can't I copy parts of the article I want to quote? Dumb site features, blargh.

Anyways, in regards to why the use of weather-effects in the multiplayer didn't happen often, the reason is that pretty much none of the beta testers, including me, liked it. It slowed down gameplay too much. Most CoH multiplayer-veterans played the game for the very mobile and tactical style of play that the game rewarded, but the blizzards made that go really, really slow. It just wasn't as fun as the alternative.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I actually do like these games, but really the Dawn of War series was better. Dawn of War 2 was incredible. So i'll just be waiting for Dawn of War 3...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wait, when/how/who/why/what did this come from? I was completely unaware of a sequel!

Anyways, the first one was fun, so it's good to know the second one didn't totally crap itself.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Oh look, another WW2 game ignoring the two years of pre-Barbarossa events. As much as I'm glad that we've broke out of the old "Normandy and the Bulge were the only things that mattered!" mentality a few years back, the Eastern front has become another theme which everybody does. Where is the September Campaign? Where are France, Norway, Crete, the Baltic states, the Winter War, the Battle of Britain... ? The old unit types and tactics which were largely abandoned by 1941 (I want cavalry in my WW2 games!)? And I'm only restricting myself to the European theatre. Is it because Germany was the winning side and in popular imagination, that period is squarely entrenched as the March of the Evil Empire?

Anyway, looking good. I was pretty much sold the moment they announced it (as I adore the first game) and I'm increasingly happy that I've decided to PC out the coming generation. That is, once I get around to actually getting a desktop PC.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
teebeeohh said:
wait, when did this suddenly get released?
i loved the first one(ok, i love everything relic does) and i had absolutely no idea this was almost out.
this must be what Stalin felt like on June 22.
There's been a beta since April. Where were you?
playing Dota
i actually remember reading something about the beta but for some reason dota sucked all my rts-attention out of me.
thank god it's july soon, my gaming budget for this month is spend

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Playing through the Beta now, absolutely oving it. The new engine seems to be great, but annoying me a little bit. Blizzards seem to happen all too often in Russia...........

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
wooty said:
Playing through the Beta now, absolutely oving it. The new engine seems to be great, but annoying me a little bit. Blizzards seem to happen all too often in Russia...........
I bet that's exactly what Hitler said circa 1942: "Blizzards seem to happen all too often in Russia.." :D

Vale

May 1, 2013
Does it beat Chaos Rising and Retribution as Relic's finest though?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Excellent, I have been watching this with some hope, glad it doesn't suck...now where is my Burma campaign?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
The online portion of the game was horrible in the beta, the game depends too much on P2P connections and what usually ended up happening was huge lag that made the game unplayable. Especially during snow storms, even people who weren't lagging up until that point would start lagging as well, due to the extremely demanding graphical effect. There is zero mention of these problems in the review, so I suppose... they have been fixed? And Relic actually invested in some proper server support to handle the matchmaking? That does seem unlikely, given their past of horrendous netcodes and unforgivable issues with many router manufacturers, which they never bothered to resolve for some strange reason.

I would be cautious if I were you. The beta is still up for the next 20 hours. Download it and try an online match, throw 3 or 4 players in, see if it's playable before making a purchase. Unless you feel like spending 60$ for a single player RTS, then cool.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
No mention of control options, can you customize hotkeys?
I played the beta and it wasn't in there, saw no mention that they were going to add it, even asked in their forums and got no reply, i won't play an rts if i can't do camera control with wasd.