Saints Row Gets Modded, Thanks to THQ's Demise

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Saints Row Gets Modded, Thanks to THQ's Demise

Volition's new publisher views modding as a long-term investment in the community.

While entire genres have been built around the power of modding, not everyone is so impressed. THQ, the former publisher of Saints Row, decided it wasn't worth the time to officially support modding. Now that THQ is dead, Saints Row is receiving modding tools with the official blessing of developer Volition. Andrew Groen over at [a href=http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/purple-dildos-were-just-the-beginning-the-death-of-thq-is-unleashing-saints]Penny Arcade Report[/a] tells the story of how Volition itself is leading the charge for modding in its games.

Until now, talented fans had to find their own way around the Saints Row engine. The lack of official tools restricted them to only the most basic modifications. That's all about to change.

"We are just at the beginning of things, and this is a grassroots effort within Volition," according to Studio Director of Programming Jeff Thompson. "By that I mean, right now, it's entirely fueled by people within Volition who want to do this." Those developers are helping modders on forums like [a href=http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/]saintsrowmods.com[/a] and working with the community to release a software developer kit (SDK) to allow deeper alterations in the game. This also means mod support for previous and future Saints Row titles.

According to Thompson, it has its new publishers, Koch Media and Deep Silver to thank for the change. "This is a company that has done a lot of its business with PC gamers," he said. "It's also a company that trusts us and supports us to do things that are longer-term investments like building up stronger relationships with the community." Saints Row is already an amusing mixture of luchadores, dildo bats, and aliens. It'll be interesting to see just what else the community can add to it.

Source: [a href=http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/purple-dildos-were-just-the-beginning-the-death-of-thq-is-unleashing-saints]Penny Arcade Report[/a]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well fuck yes.
More mod support is never bad, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Jesus christ yes, this seriously is making me buy the game now, and preparing to reinstall Saints Row the Third. I was so insanely disappointed by Saints Row the Third's customization compared to Saints Row 2, and now they can fix it!

Bring me the hotdog mascot, community.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Sweet!
I'll pick up either The Third or the new one in a year or so once there's some good mods out.

Apr 28, 2008
This news pleases me greatly.

This is seriously awesome. Just... everything about this is awesome. Well, except THQ needing to die for it to happen, but still.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
This doesn't surprise me. I was reading a Q&A with Steve Jaros, the lead writer for Saints Row, and the general impression I got from his answers implied that THQ was what caused a lot of the things that older SR fans didn't like about the third. Originally, the story was going to be much darker, Shaundi would've had an actual character arc instead of just being really bitchy the entire story, and Johnny was going to have a better death.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
But that means you won't be able to nickle and dime consumers with tiny DLC packs!

You'll have to actually make DLC packs that add something of substance to the game!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Great news, glad to hear my pre-order is supporting devs and publishers with the right values :)

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes this opportunity to make a cock-shaped car that they use to travel around the city to go to their phallus-shaped tower where they house a penis-shaped rocketship to travel to Dick Planet, there they beat down everyone named Johnson McWeiner with their giant dildo-bat.

Dicks.

You know someone's going to do it. It's Saints Row for fuck's sake.

Phallic humor aside, This is pretty good news. Modding is a wonderful thing, and in some cases can really help something grow. I might just get one of the newer Saints Row games so I can have yet another engine to put some of my custom models.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Saints Row 4 just went up on my 'to buy list.'

Even if the mod scene is going to be nothing but dicks, its still going to add something new to the game.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
piinyouri said:
Sweet!
I'll pick up either The Third or the new one in a year or so once there's some good mods out.
You should have picked picked up the full package pack that was on sale on steam a week or two back. I did and do NOT regret it at all.

OT: I guess there is always a silver lining in any bad tale. The one about THQ just so happens to be SR4 with modding. I just hope that they integrate it with the steam workshop. It'd be like skyrim with guns. and dicks.

Actually, that is an interesting question: Will steam allow mods like that?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jumwa said:
Maybe modders will pull a switch and add serious content to the game.
Maybe they can add enough content to make the story last THREE hours.

Denamic said:
Suddenly, I am less sad about THQ dying. My heart must truly be fickle.
THQ was awful, anyway.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Jesus christ yes, this seriously is making me buy the game now, and preparing to reinstall Saints Row the Third. I was so insanely disappointed by Saints Row the Third's customization compared to Saints Row 2, and now they can fix it!

Bring me the hotdog mascot, community.
And my sombrero! It's not Saints Row if I can't run around shooting things up in a Matrix coat and a Sombrero.

Abomination said:
But that means you won't be able to nickle and dime consumers with tiny DLC packs!

You'll have to actually make DLC packs that add something of substance to the game!
They still have consoles to do that on. Don't worry, Voliton won't suddenly pull a 180 and actually put meaningful work into their monetisation plans.

an annoyed writer said:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes this opportunity to make a cock-shaped car that they use to travel around the city to go to their phallus-shaped tower where they house a penis-shaped rocketship to travel to Dick Planet, there they beat down everyone named Johnson McWeiner with their giant dildo-bat.

Dicks.

You know someone's going to do it. It's Saints Row for fuck's sake.
All they'll need to do is re-introduce the items into the game from the locked off section of the disc.

Sep 14, 2009
*raises eyebrow*

well now, color me impressed and i'm seriously considering getting saints row 4, good move volition, it'll be my first saints row game that i personally buy

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
My precious censor boxeeeeeeeesssss! D:

In all seriousness, more mods is always good... even if it allows bad to happen.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I see no downside in allowing mods. Company time isn't used to make them. And if people don't want to use them they don't have to.