Steam Summer Sale Goes Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Summer Sale Goes Live

The Steam Summer Sale is now live, and you know what that means.

You do know what that means, right? It means it's time to grit your teeth and get out your wallet. They've got 100 Daily Deals set to roll out, they've got eight-hour Flash Sales, and you can even vote for what goes on the cheapie block with the Community's Choice Voting Sales.

A few examples: BioShock Infinite is $29.99, Hotline Miami is $2.49, Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is $8.99, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is five bucks, Scribblenauts Unlimited is five bucks, Portal 2 is ten bucks, The Witcher 2 is ten bucks, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is eight-fiddy - okay, that last one isn't a huge savings but it's an awesome shooter and not the sort of thing you're likely ever going to see in a new release.

The first Community's Choice Sale begins in a little over six hours, meaning that you've got just less than that to cast your vote for Dishonored, Borderlands 2 or Far Cry 3. A lot of these games are also now offering Steam trading cards, and for those who care about such things a "special" Summer Getaway Badge is up for grabs as well.

I could continue to prattle on about the prices (Farming Simulator 2013 is half-price!) but that's not really necessary, is it? All you need to know is that the the Steam Summer Sale [http://store.steampowered.com/] is now live, it runs until July 22 and it's time to spend until it hurts. But have patience: Steam is getting hammered like a freshman frat boy, so you may have a little trouble getting around until things smooth out.

Apr 28, 2008
Sweet. Got quite a bit of money saved since I have an actual job now. This should be fun.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It's a shame that I don't really want anything on it right now. ): There's not been anything huge released I want since the last one that I hadn't bought anyway.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
They shouldn't be selling Borderlands 2 for cheap, they need to put the DLC on sale. With a 4th just out and a 5th on the way it's the cost of the original game.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Steam Summer Sale goes live. Steam Summer Servers go dead.

It's not like they couldn't have seen this coming, the SSS is kind of a big deal (of big deals) so I'm disappointed that I can't actually throw my money at them.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
They shouldn't be selling Borderlands 2 for cheap, they need to put the DLC on sale. With a 4th just out and a 5th on the way it's the cost of the original game.
Usually when they advertise a base game on sale it usually includes any not extremely recent dlc.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Did you hear that?

It's as if thousands of wallets suddenly cried out in terror... and were suddenly silence.

Personally I kinda wish Brave New World gets hit by the sale.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
And thus began the greatest experiment of our time: can boredom and deep price cuts change my mind on games I did not care about before the sale?

Tangentially related: how do we all feel about the new cards thingamagig? I read the introduction page but I'm not 'feeling it' at all because it seems it all boils down to "collect cards -> pimp profile page."
One of the first things I did on my steam account was make that page completely private and it's been that way ever since. I use steam for two things: sales, and keeping my games collection neatly organized. So if valve wants to add "gaming facebook" to that list they're gonna have to come up with a lot more incentive than some portal themed backgrounds.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
And there's the whole deal with trading cards and crafting badges.... you know what? I'm good, thanks...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
IT'S HERE EVERYBODY

I mean, that's where I keep my wallet.

bliebblob said:
Tangentially related: how do we all feel about the new cards thingamagig? I read the introduction page but I'm not 'feeling it' at all.
It's fucking awesome.

Going to be getting me free games basically.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm fairly sure they make more money than the entire state of Montana just during this sale, and yet they can't afford non-hamster powered servers...

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Some of the stuff on sale is pretty well priced (I'd be all over it if I wasn't broke atm) but the fact that its yet another holiday sale where the servers go down was kind of annoying and these trading cards just feel like a way of poking people into spending even more money.

Apr 28, 2008
bliebblob said:
And thus began the greatest experiment of our time: can boredom and deep price cuts change my mind on games I did not care about before the sale?

Tangentially related: how do we all feel about the new cards thingamagig? I read the introduction page but I'm not 'feeling it' at all because it seems it all boils down to "collect cards -> pimp profile page."
One of the first things I did on my steam account was make that page completely private and it's been that way ever since. I use steam for two things: sales, and keeping my games collection neatly organized. So if valve wants to add "gaming facebook" to that list they're gonna have to come up with a lot more incentive than some portal themed backgrounds.
I literally do not care at all about the cards. They are just there. Only reason I don't delete them like TF2 crates is because when I was about to I realized I could put them up on the market. Made a cool $3. I may not care, but apparently many do, so now they're a way for me to get a little extra pocket change.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Easton Dark said:
bliebblob said:
Tangentially related: how do we all feel about the new cards thingamagig? I read the introduction page but I'm not 'feeling it' at all.
It's fucking awesome.

Really? Because of the coupons? Because I'm very skeptical about just useful those will be. How often will they drop? Will they be universal or for specific games? How much % off will they give? And do they stack with other promotions like the summer sale?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States

Unfortunately everything they have on sale right now I either already own, or have no interest in. It's only the first day though, so I'll keep watching.

Still, it's always exciting when the big sale starts.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Balls, I really hope Bioshock: Infinite stays on sale till tomorrow when I get paid. I really need to add direct deposit to my account so I get paid on Thursday instead of Friday. DAMN YOU LACK OF FORESIGHT!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
bliebblob said:
Easton Dark said:
bliebblob said:
It's fucking awesome.

Really? Because of the coupons? Because I'm very skeptical about just useful those will be. How often will they drop? Will they be universal or for specific games? How much % off will they give? And do they stack with other promotions like the summer sale?
No, like, I bought FTL for $2.50, and within the 2nd hour of playing, a foil card dropped, and it sells on the marketplace for upwards of $2.00. Stuff like that.

I profit from people caring about their steam level, and I'm okay with that.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
major_chaos said:
I'm fairly sure they make more money than the entire state of Montana just during this sale, and yet they can't afford non-hamster powered servers...
Oh so that's why the servers completely crapped out earlier why I was trying to launch L.A. Noire. Oh well time to hit the savings again.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Easton Dark said:
bliebblob said:
Easton Dark said:
bliebblob said:
It's fucking awesome.

No, like, I bought FTL for $2.50, and within the 2nd hour of playing, a foil card dropped, and it sells on the marketplace for upwards of $2.00. Stuff like that.

I profit from people caring about their steam level, and I'm okay with that.
I did not know that is how it works. This is pretty cool, I can take advantage of the desire others have to collect things.

OT:
I've been waiting for Bioshock infinite and rogue legacy to go on sale for ever, and the first day both games I wanted are on for cheaper than I expected. Excellent.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Btw I'm thinking of picking up Skyrim Dragonborn. Is that 50% deal going with that flash sale the best I'll get or should I hold off?