"Forced Castration" Coming to Age of Wushu

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Forced Castration" Coming to Age of Wushu

The free-to-play MMO Age of Wushu has added a new mechanic that will take more than just your breath away.

"Ganking the noobs" is about to take on a whole new meaning in Age of Wushu, a free-to-play martial arts action MMO inspired by the lore of medieval China. Among the new factions and schools being added to the game is the "Rootless Clan," and they're not rootless because they're nomadic: It's a clan made up primarily of eunuchs.

There are three ways a player can become part of the clan, which in case it needs to be said is designated as an "evil" faction. Male characters who train the "Sunflower Manual" to level 25 will automatically be sent an invitation; players may obtain a "recommendation staff" which will allow them to enter the clan as long as they're willing to undergo castration first; or they can be forcefully castrated by a gang of Rootless Clan members.

It sounds incredibly bizarre (and disturbing) but according to MMO Culture, it's completely true. The site actually reported on the new faction and its unique initiation rite earlier this month [http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/age-of-wushu-a-brief-introduction-to-the-unorthodox-rootless-clan/] and, apparently in the face of some disbelief, confirmed it today. The process begins with a special daily quest that's available only to Rootless Clan members of a certain fame level. Five eligible players must form a party and then find a suitable victim, who actually can't be a newbie but must instead be a powerful player of sufficiently high level.

The castration process lasts for two minutes, during which time random "good" NPCs will try to intervene and the player being attacked may also seek help, and even when the process is complete the likelihood of success is low; the player may only suffer "significant damage" rather than the full chop. But if the process is successful, the player will be officially castrated and will then receive an invitation to join the clan.

That may be the strangest part of the whole thing. Cutting off a dude's virtual junk, even without a graphic depiction, is disturbing but hardly the worst thing most of us have done in videogames - especially if you've played Soldier of Fortune [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/11/12]. But slicing a guy up and then asking him if he wants to join the club? That's just weird, man.

Source: MMO Culture [http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/age-of-wushu-video-preview-of-forced-castration-by-rootless-clan/]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
D:

I DON'T APPRECIATE THIS TURN OF EVENTS.

Seriously, what the heeeeeeeelllllllll. Causing a permanent change to a character is just something you don't want to do without them wanting to.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I'd be "scared as dick" if a gang of eunuchs wanted to chop my manly bits off.
I need better jokes.

OT:
While this is strange as hell, it adds an awesome new mechanic to the MMO world. Track down and enemy, maim him without killing him, then releasing him with an invite to your clan? That's actually quite fantastic. Props to the guy(s) who thought of it.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
1. As long as it virtual castration, OK. Don't want to hear a story about real life MMO guild going round cutting each others junk off.

2. Apart from maybe a little lore/immersion boost(and lets face it it's an MMO), what purpose does it serve? I don't know much about the game, but as far as I can tell it's not a sex/rape sim, so what's the point?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That's hilarious. Although I can tell you I'd be starting a new character if it happened to me, progress be damned.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Rootless? Gah ow ew gross not in a million years sick twisted no putting a blade near there...

sorry I'm rambling, I just..can't think straight in an article about wang chopping (that is, chopping off a guy's wang, not chopping wang unless a guy named wang is getting cut in which case you're chopping wang's wang)

Even my grammar is failing me at this point, thanks Andy you have blown my mind.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Sounds like it's meant to be more of a punishment or a way to get revenge. Although virtual, it would be effective just by the responses of the forum goers. Who'd still brag about their e-peen if they don't have one anymore?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
D:

Seriously, what the heeeeeeeelllllllll. Causing a permanent change to a character is just something you don't want to do without them wanting to.
I actually love this sort of thing. (The forced changes and events, not so much getting your parts chopped off)

I always felt the MMO's need to actually have weight, make your character an actual part of the world and not on a ride.

Though this is....odd.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
This is actually kind of funny. I imagine all the griefing potential of grabbing 5-6 e-friends and going around cutting peoples dicks off while they rage in chat.

Although it begs the question: what if you play as a female character?

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Oh god what no that's not... AAAAAAAAH!

If I ever play Age Of Wushu I will DEFINITELY make a female character.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
lacktheknack said:
D:

I actually love this sort of thing. (The forced changes and events, not so much getting your parts chopped off)

I always felt the MMO's need to actually have weight, make your character an actual part of the world and not on a ride.

Though this is....odd.
Yeah, but I always feel that with enough work, you should be able to undo any event. Even if your $20000 EVE Online ship explodes, at least you can theoretically buy a new one.

Losing your nads? I don't think you can recover from that.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Saviordd1 said:
lacktheknack said:
D:

Though this is....odd.
Yeah, but I always feel that with enough work, you should be able to undo any event. Even if your $20000 EVE Online ship explodes, at least you can theoretically buy a new one.

Losing your nads? I don't think you can recover from that.
You could visit an ancient chinese wizard and make him conjure you one from the spirit world maybe?

This is equal parts horrifying and equal parts awesome. If this seriously takes off it might change the way people behave, simply out of fear of being jumped people will stop travelling alone or will avoid dark alleys and such. It's almost like a real MMO rather than a themepark with things to kill in it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, what? This seems like controversy just to attract attention.

Phrozenflame500 said:
This is actually kind of funny. I imagine all the griefing potential of grabbing 5-6 e-friends and going around cutting peoples dicks off while they rage in chat.

Although it begs the question: what if you play as a female character?
Maybe they just send you an invite by default.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Non-consensual sexual violence.. That's.. Some very bad moral ground right there. I'm quite against this in any game, the force part anyway, the whole having to decide to join them and chopping your junk off is interesting dilema, but else..

Lets just say,
I hope this part of the game...

-Puts on sunglasses.-

Gets cut.

cpatcha: Less is more.
You creepy fucker.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
ShirowShirow said:

You sure? It's also got a mechanic for kidnapping female chars and selling them into sex slavery. This is one f@$#ed up MMO.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
lacktheknack said:
D:

I would imagine that it is largely symbolic. Meaning if you don't join the clan there is no mention of you being "rootless" after the event. Of course I could be wrong and even if the game acted like you still had your root you would always know what they had done to you...

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
oldtaku said:
ShirowShirow said:

You sure? It's also got a mechanic for kidnapping female chars and selling them into sex slavery. This is one f@$#ed up MMO.
Well ancient Chinese history ain't exactly a parade of sunshine and happiness. Doing shit like this is small potatoes compared to some of the horrors that went down then.