"Forced Castration" Coming to Age of Wushu

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
...Forced castration?

My God... The feminists have won! This is what they were planning all along, the fiends! Everyone, run for your lives! By which I mean, men, run for your dicks!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
Let's say you enjoy a game that you've invested time and perhaps money into. Then say that the developers implement something that makes you hate the game. This is a change that is quite bizarre rather than something more basic.
Then don't play MMOs. They change by nature.

Incidentally, cultural castration isn't a sexual assault whether you perceive it as one or not. It's an act of torture and humiliation. Or you could be wholly ignorant of the game's setting and view it purely from a modern Western perspective. That's what educated and open-minded people do in this day and age, correct?
Haha, I've played MMOs for over a decade now. They don't change like this. The areas may change, the gameplay may change, but they don't generally add a new feature in which you can be gang-raped (example) or force castrated (actuality) for two minutes if no one comes to your aid. This is a new and different change unlike the changes that usually happen. This isn't an artistic direction, this is a moral direction. If this was reverseable or more easily stoppable, then it wouldn't be a problem.

In what world is someone grabbing your sexual organs and cutting them off not sexual assault? It's both sexual assault and aggravated assault. I'm sorry, but you looking at the day and age isn't going to change what it is. This is basically a two minute-long molestation circle that ends in a person being forever altered sexually. It's ridiculous to not think it's sexual assault too.

Seanchaidh said:
Oh no, someone voiced an opinion on the internet about a topic YOU don't think they should particularly care about. Quick, try to tell them how they shouldn't have an opinion at all because it doesn't directly apply to them and people voicing opinions on things that don't relate to them somehow directly impacts you in a negative way. By all means, continue to and bully your opinion that they shouldn't care until you can make them stop.

Let me ask you this, why do you care about what I care about? What it is it to you? If we're criticising people for having opinions on something that don't impact them directly then I think we should start there. I fail to see how me stating how much that would ruin a game for me translates into anything other than an opinion on the matter.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
Let's say you enjoy a game that you've invested time and perhaps money into. Then say that the developers implement something that makes you hate the game. This is a change that is quite bizarre rather than something more basic.
Then don't play MMOs. They change by nature.

Incidentally, cultural castration isn't a sexual assault whether you perceive it as one or not. It's an act of torture and humiliation. Or you could be wholly ignorant of the game's setting and view it purely from a modern Western perspective. That's what educated and open-minded people do in this day and age, correct?
Haha, I've played MMOs for over a decade now. They don't change like this. The areas may change, the gameplay may change, but they don't generally add a new feature in which you can be gang-raped (example) or force castrated (actuality) for two minutes if no one comes to your aid. This is a new and different change unlike the changes that usually happen. This isn't an artistic direction, this is a moral direction. If this was reverseable or more easily stoppable, then it wouldn't be a problem.

In what world is someone grabbing your sexual organs and cutting them off not sexual assault? It's both sexual assault and aggravated assault. I'm sorry, but you looking at the day and age isn't going to change what it is. This is basically a two minute-long molestation circle that ends in a person being forever altered sexually. It's ridiculous to not think it's sexual assault too.

Seanchaidh said:
Oh no, someone voiced an opinion on the internet about a topic YOU don't think they should particularly care about. Quick, try to tell them how they shouldn't have an opinion at all because it doesn't directly apply to them and people voicing opinions on things that don't relate to them somehow directly impacts you in a negative way. By all means, continue to and bully your opinion that they shouldn't care until you can make them stop.

Let me ask you this, why do you care about what I care about? What it is it to you? If we're criticising people for having opinions on something that don't impact them directly then I think we should start there. I fail to see how me stating how much that would ruin a game for me translates into anything other than an opinion on the matter.

Surely sexual assault is primarily sexual by motive? If somebody took a baseball bat to your testicles, is that sexual assault? Because I'm pretty sure this falls under GBH, given that a sexual assault would surely require some sexual motive. And I love that you just added gang rape in there. Castration for political damage = gang rape. Interesting link.

Next you'll be telling me that any game where you're encouraged to knock opponents out rather than outright kill them is akin to date-raping them.

Incidentally, "I've played MMOs for over a decade...they don't change like this." You're not good at being factually accurate, are you? There's this MMO named 'Age of Wushu which actually did change like this, thus proving you 100% wrong.
Unless you mean to tell me this isn't an MMO and that you only played 'true' MMOs...but then I wouldn't go extrapolating off that, because that would be taking advantage of a small error in speech. A little like taking advantage of an error in judgement. And that would be sexual assault. Apparently like castration. Because eunuchs cannot get off unless castrating other people.

Oh my god this is eunuch procreation. This is their sex.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
Surely sexual assault is primarily sexual by motive?
No, not required. Surely =/= fact.

The Age of Wushu being an exception does not discredit the comment that other MMO's have not changed in ways similar to this before. Changes are generally stylistic/mechanics/aesthetics and not moralistic in ways that can be forced specifically on the individual.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Lightknight said:

So the game isn't for you. So what?

It's not that I think you shouldn't express your opinion-- it is that there is no point in anyone caring about your opinion of some game assuming that there is an audience for that game that isn't you. You don't play it. You don't want to play it. You have no stake in the matter, no chips on the table. There are people that do play it. There are people who like the "distasteful" behavior that is allowed. Their preferences vastly outweigh yours. What I object to is the idea that every game should be a game that I like, or that you like, or that any particular group of people likes, and that no other games should exist. You make it sound like the devs of this game should not do what they are doing-- and that is not a matter in which your opinion carries any weight whatsoever.

(Yes, I'm repeating myself-- maybe next time instead of ignoring what I wrote you can respond to what I did write. Or don't, I don't care either way.)

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Thyunda said:
Surely sexual assault is primarily sexual by motive?
No, not required. Surely =/= fact.

The Age of Wushu being an exception does not discredit the comment that other MMO's have not changed in ways similar to this before. Changes are generally stylistic/mechanics/aesthetics and not moralistic in ways that can be forced specifically on the individual.
Then what defines a sexual assault?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "I'll kill your dick," eh?
*applause for the reference*

Speaking of dick killing parties...

OT: I`m not sure if I like this idea. This is basically gang genital mutilation. It seems out there and it should cause a shitstorm of controversy which is what I guess they are going for.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Seanchaidh said:
(Yes, I'm repeating myself-- maybe next time instead of ignoring what I wrote you can respond to what I did write. Or don't, I don't care either way.)
First off, to the thing you have a problem with, expressing dislike of a feature/action is not the same as saying they shouldn't exist. It's merely expressing an opinion on a matter albeit negative. I am a gamer, I enjoy games. This is my first time hearing about the topic and I may genuinely have enjoyed it even with the other moralistically questionable options in it. Instead, the first thing I hear about the game is something like this. So this relates to me more than you think. Regardless, this discussion should have ended there with YOU not caring enough about a random internet person's opinion to actually start an argument about it. I at no time stated that my opinion carried some magical weight to it. But, and I apologize for any offense, who are you or anyone to put people's opinions on a scale?

Secondly, I am directly responding to your statements questioning why the opinion should be voiced at all regarding a game that I don't play. That's silly. This is the internet, Sean, people are going to voice their opinions about things that don't directly impact them. For example, I dislike slavery. Now, I don't own slaves nor am I one, yet I can certainly hold and express my opinion on the matter. If you aren't criticizing the expression of the opinion then you've certainly fooled me. Even in this post you said, "So the game isn't for you. So what?" and "You don't play it. You don't want to play it. You have no stake in the matter, no chips on the table."

Those are inherent criticisms of expression of opinions. It's like someone striking up a conversation about the qualities of strawberry ice cream and someone contributing that they dislike said Ice Cream and then you hop in and say, "Your opinion doesn't matter because there are people who like strawberry ice cream". It's like you're arguing against the nature of conversation in general and what's more is that you're doing the very same thing. Criticizing something that really has no impact on you. Heck, you crticizing it has had more impact on you than if you'd left it alone to begin with. They write these articles for people to consider and discuss them.

Thyunda said:
Then what defines a sexual assault?
Many actions may be considered sexual assault. Forced touching of the genitalia of any sort falls immediately into the category. This action in particular is even more severe an action than rape but has the same pyschological impact in addition to the irreversable longterm physical sexual ones. Does this game in particular also allow gang rapings?

In a court the person would be charged with both aggravated assault and sexual assault. The two are not mutually exclusive. It doesn't have to be pleasurable to either party for it to fall there.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
But would it be considered sexual assault in the setting?
Sexual assault, a modern term, would not have been used then, no. However, it is sexual assault by legal use of the term. You can use modern terms to describe actions taken in alternate settings. We aren't time traveling here.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
But would it be considered sexual assault in the setting?
Sexual assault, a modern term, would not have been used then, no. However, it is sexual assault by legal use of the term. You can use modern terms to describe actions taken in alternate settings. We aren't time traveling here.
Sorry dude, but your modern terms don't apply here. It's not sexual assault in the setting, it's humiliation. Otherwise our alternate Chinese characters are weirdly Western in their morals. If it's distasteful, don't play it. Also don't watch the news, I've heard there are certain countries neither American nor European, and their laws and morals aren't identical to ours. Assuming you're Western.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
Sorry dude, but your modern terms don't apply here. It's not sexual assault in the setting, it's humiliation. Otherwise our alternate Chinese characters are weirdly Western in their morals. If it's distasteful, don't play it. Also don't watch the news, I've heard there are certain countries neither American nor European, and their laws and morals aren't identical to ours. Assuming you're Western.
But we aren't in that setting. This is the year 2013, we are communicating using our current dialect. I'm not going to speak with terms accurate to a time long lost just to keep up a thread conversation. By our modern standards, this is sexual assault. Close case. If you can conduct this conversation a few centuries ago then maybe not. In any event, the legal term of sexual assault as it exists would apply.

Saying that sexual assault doesn't apply just because it is a modern term does not negate the validity of the action. If it happened now, it would be defined as such. You are merely dealing with linguistic drift and claiming that only the setting of the game may be used as the reference point for language. However, we are discussing the game outside of that era. So no, I reject those constraints. We can agree to disagree though. I'll take the side that it is 2013 and 2013 definitions apply and you can take whatever time frame you're going for.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Thyunda said:
But we aren't in that setting. This is the year 2013, we are communicating using our current dialect. I'm not going to speak with terms accurate to a time long lost just to keep up a thread conversation. By our modern standards, this is sexual assault. Close case. If you can conduct this conversation a few centuries ago then maybe not. In any event, the legal term of sexual assault as it exists would apply.

Saying that sexual assault doesn't apply just because it is a modern term does not negate the validity of the action. If it happened now, it would be defined as such. You are merely dealing with linguistic drift and claiming that only the setting of the game may be used as the reference point for language. However, we are discussing the game outside of that era. So no, I reject those constraints. We can agree to disagree though. I'll take the side that it is 2013 and 2013 definitions apply and you can take whatever time frame you're going for.
The concept of setting doesn't really take with you, does it? How about this. We take the side that you're not being castrated in 2013. Your ancient Chinese character is being castrated in ancient China by other ancient Chinese people. Ancient Chinese culture applies. Not modern Western culture. You don't get to reject those constraints because the issue exists only within those constraints. Reject the constraints, invalidate your opinion on the issue.
Your argument essentially boils down to "I reject this historically accurate depiction of a specific humiliation method because it makes me uncomfortable."

Sorry dude, but shit happened. We can either cartoonify everything and make it all nice and padded for fragile, squeamish types, or we can allow games to include mature and uncomfortable themes and issues - you wouldn't get this upset over it if it was a book or a film, yet somehow you take issue with it in-game.

You also brought up that it's against the player's choice and scars them permanently. Here, I'm happy to agree to disagree. I like my roleplaying to be quite hard-line. The entire reason I LIKE MMOs is because shit happens to you without your consent - in text-based roleplaying (T1, if you know it), I mostly forbid resurrections when I have the authority to do so as I cannot stand it when roleplaying is so feather-light. So of course, a random event leaving your character permanently scarred is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy in a roleplaying environment.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Lightknight said:
Whatever you want to say about "just expressing your opinion", it is abundantly clear that you think the devs of this game should not do what they are doing. Your example of "just expressing your opinion" on slavery says as much in itself.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
oldtaku said:
ShirowShirow said:
Oh god what no that's not... AAAAAAAAH!

If I ever play Age Of Wushu I will DEFINITELY make a female character.
You sure? It's also got a mechanic for kidnapping female chars and selling them into sex slavery. This is one f@$#ed up MMO.
*This is one accurate MMO.
Fixed it... unfortunately. Yeah, despite it being brutally horrible, I give the devs kudos for adding stuff which actually happened. And continue to happen.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Jaegerwolf said:
Well first, do the male character models actually COME with genitals? If not then there isn't really much difference now is there, unless they modified all the pants to not have a bulge.

Elate said:
Non-consensual sexual violence.. That's.. Some very bad moral ground right there. I'm quite against this in any game, the force part anyway, the whole having to decide to join them and chopping your junk off is interesting dilema, but else..
As to the non-consensual ACTUAL violence? Yes I get your point but is this REALLY that different then shoving a sword through a guy's chest?

oldtaku said:
ShirowShirow said:
Oh god what no that's not... AAAAAAAAH!

If I ever play Age Of Wushu I will DEFINITELY make a female character.
You sure? It's also got a mechanic for kidnapping female chars and selling them into sex slavery. This is one f@$#ed up MMO.
Wait...are you serious?

Yes this is a really thing. Kidnapping is a daily game event. Anyone that is offline can be kidnapped. Kidnapping, however, makes you a target and anyone can attack you without consequence.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
First forced prostitution and now this

I'd like to say that they couldn't possibly get worse than this, but I honestly don't want to be proven wrong

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Soooo...

They remove the guys dicks and cut their balls. And the gals? Cut off their clits and sew their vaginas?