World's First 3D Printer Rifle Goes Bang, Barrel Breaks

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
World's First 3D Printer Rifle Goes Bang, Barrel Breaks

Is this legal in Canada? The RCMP isn't convinced.

Say hello to the smoothbore .22 single-shot Grizzly, named after the Canadian built Shermans of World War II. It's the world's first 3D printed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120771-Printable-Gunmaker-About-to-Test-in-Texas] rifle; the only metal part in it is a 1 inch roofing nail firing pin. Its maker, CanadianGunNut, has tested it, and while the results weren't all he could have hoped for - after a dozen tries it finally went off, but split the barrel all along its length - the bullet did exit the barrel. Thus a world's first is achieved, and once CanadianGunNut has perfected his build, he intends to release the printer files and let people make their own.

"In Canada, it is illegal to manufacture or possess a firearm without appropriate licences and applicable registrations," says RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Julie Gagnon. "The Firearms Act stipulates that individuals in possession of firearms must have a Possession Only Licence or Possession and Acquisition Licence. The RCMP does not confirm or deny who might be or not be the subject of an investigation." But CanadianGunNut is pretty sure he's in the clear. He has a valid Possession & Acquisition Licence, which allows him to build, but not sell, firearms. He's even gone so far as to put in a permanent stock, thus conforming with non-restricted status; restricted firearms would need registration, but his does not.

"Took me three days to build," says CanadianGunNut. Even if this first test was a failure, it's not going to set him back. He says he wants to challenge himself. Before too much longer, no doubt we'll find out whether his efforts bear fruit, with the world's first working 3D printable rifle.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/07/worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-rifle-made-in-canada-fired-a-single-shot/]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I wouldn't mind something like this existing as long as it's only printed and used by people with the appropriate licenses and registrations.

But we all know this printer data will be all over bittorrent as soon as it's released.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
The ability to cheaply and quickly produce untraceable disposable firearms using an item for which there are thousands of legitimate uses.

Yeah, this is exactly what humanity needs.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
When the files for that 3D printed handgun were released (or going to be released, or whatever it was) the media over in Blighty had kittens. I can only imagine the panic over this when it becomes known that not only can any Tom, Dick or Harry print themselves a gun, but that they'll likely injure themselves when the try to fire it and the barrel blows up on them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I expect there will be an episode of CSI where the killer used a printed gun, if there hasn't already.

I'm also not entirely sure why this would be a good thing given human nature and the abilities of the interwebs.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
I foresee a whole lot of very angry people with poor judgment blowing their hands off with the poor-quality guns they printed off in a fit of pique.

--Morology!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
The ability to cheaply and quickly produce untraceable disposable firearms using an item for which there are thousands of legitimate uses.

Yeah, this is exactly what humanity needs.
I don't think we're at the point that we need to worry too much yet. We're talking about making a small caliber rifle that's basically one shot, and being smooth bore, may not be that accurate. For the people who need an untraceable gun to do some shady work, buying on the black market is always going to get you better quality, power, and reliability than this.

But the age where people can print off guns that aren't plastic pieces of crap is fast approaching, and like it or not, there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop it.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I almost expect that the NRA would offer the plans for various guns along with lifetime memberships to their organization just to make sure that every American had a gun.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
This is going to end well.

Considering that you still need ammo, the simple solution to this (assuming that a printable gun is feasible) is to require licences for ammo and gunpowder/primer.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Now if this works, does that mean they could eventually make uzis or whatever later? Is this going to be another technology being invented before anyone realizes all the negatives that go along with it. Could we be witness to the start of a future of illigal guns sweeping the world? After all, if this does work, all you need is a printer and money to make what you need. Sure a few criminals would enjoy this, all the fun of getting guns without the danger of importing them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
I wouldn't mind something like this existing as long as it's only printed and used by people with the appropriate licenses and registrations.
There's no way to enforce that though, plus printers and the internet are global, even within one country you could never enforce it properly.

The printer is just a kind of machine tool, can't ban them anymore than you can ban lathes and machine presses, so wherever there's one there's the potential to make a gun.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Clearly the world needs more guns that are easier to access. Goddamn, this type of thing pissed me off. Arrest this bastard, he's a psycho.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
So the RMC wants to Bust a Nut for Banging?
kinky
Like I said: at worst these comments make me facepalm, but in a good way (i.e. with a smile under my hand). :p

OT: Well...yeah...that was unimpressive. Granted a .22 is basically a high-powered bb gun (exaggeration people, it does exist), but I still expected a bit more than a guy firing an over-grown cap-gun. At least show us the damaged barrel or something. >.>

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
the other first in this category include:
first printable shotgun
first printable automatic firing arm
first accidental death with a printed gun
first suicide with a printed gun
first kill with a printed weapon

I hope this list is never completed.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
I expect there will be an episode of CSI where the killer used a printed gun, if there hasn't already.

I'm also not entirely sure why this would be a good thing given human nature and the abilities of the interwebs.
I'm not sure about printed gun but in the film "in the line of fire" the guy makes a 2 shot "Composite Pistol".

On topic. I imagine this being a "a few bad apples" scenario, drug lords buy these printers and gangs are now producing throw away weapons that can't be traced ...

Already enough guns killing people, don't need any more.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Now if this works, does that mean they could eventually make uzis or whatever later? Is this going to be another technology being invented before anyone realizes all the negatives that go along with it. Could we be witness to the start of a future of illigal guns sweeping the world? After all, if this does work, all you need is a printer and money to make what you need. Sure a few criminals would enjoy this, all the fun of getting guns without the danger of importing them.
Well, yes, but the danger of having an illegal weapon isn't just importing it, it's having it sit there waiting for police to find it.

The Sten gun, for example, was designed so that it could be built in garages all around the UK. After the war people generally stopped building Sten guns, because they are more than a little incriminating. Northern Ireland is an exception to this, mind.

OTOH, if you want to murder someone, might be very convenient to go to your printer, make a gun, use it just once and get rid of it.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Eventually the technology will improve to the point where people could feed in high-end composite materials- like ceramic, metal, and high strength plastics- and be able to just print a Glock right in their living room.

Gun control would become impossible, but I can see some benefit to it; I've long been an advocate for personal responsibility, and living in a world where we can stop blaming guns and start blaming the people who use them for evil is a better one in my mind.