Xbox One Includes a Headset After All

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One Includes a Headset After All

An Xbox One unboxing video shows that both the standard and "day one" edition of the console comes with a headset.

Microsoft previously announced that if you wanted to fight back against the twelve-year-olds insinuating they slept with your mother on Xbox Live, you'd have to shell out an additional fee for the "backpedaling" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125527-Xbox-One-Only-Accepts-Specific-Headsets-Microsoft-Explains-Why] has once again changed its mind on this one, with Microsoft's Major Nelson announcing in an unboxing video that a headset is included with both the standard and "Day One" edition of the console.

Exclusive to the Day One edition, which is only available in limited quantities to day one buyers, is a commemorative controller with a chrome D-pad instead of the Standard Edition's regular controller, special packaging, and a code for a special "Day One achievement".

The Standard and Day One bundles, which will both set you back $500, include the new Kinect, HDMI cable, power supply, and Quick Start guide. You'll even get an Xbox One sticker to show your Microsoft pride. It is worth noting that the Xbox 360's notorious "power brick" is still here in full force.

Last month, Microsoft revealed some prices [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126411-Xbox-One-Accessories-Feature-Large-Price-Tags] for some additional Xbox accessories you may want to pick up for your console. The Headset was given a $25 price tag, but given that it now appears to be included with the console, you'll only really need to pick one up if you break or lose yours. Additional controllers will set you back $60, or $75 if you want a rechargeable battery pack, and a one-year subscription to Xbox Live will cost $60.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrmAsxJPv4]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yaaaaaaaaaaay-I still don't want it. Why? Because of the very first thing he pulled out of the frickin' box. :p

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
and a code for a special "Day One achievement".
I can see that the marketing department has some real special employees, they have really out done themselves here.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Another chapter opens in the contradictory crap Microsoft have told us about their console and then changed without bothering to inform anyone because why tell your customers anything about the product they are buying?

I think Microsoft just fell foul of the anti-discrimination hiring policies of America, so half their public relations staff have to be Bizarro versions of the real employees.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
umm guys i'm pretty sure this is really old news. *googles* Yep reports from back in july or may if you go with speculative reports. I guess this is 100% official confirmation again though.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Gosh, how are these billionaires going to afford their jets if people don't spend a pathetic $20 for a headset?

Microsoft is going to lose so much money over this. *cough cough*

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So if there's a headset, why the fuck does anyone need the Kinect for voice commands?

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
How does the on button light up if he hasn't plugged the system in yet?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
umm guys i'm pretty sure this is really old news. *googles* Yep reports from back in july or may if you go with speculative reports. I guess this is 100% official confirmation again though.
Fixed that for you.
Speculative can mean anything from any possible source, this was an official unboxing by an MS Employee on an official channel, a lot more news worthy and credible.

I also think that the Escapist might have covered those earlier reports too.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
PirateRose said:
Gosh, how are these billionaires going to afford their jets if people don't spend a pathetic $20 for a headset?

Microsoft is going to lose so much money over this. *cough cough*
I think the bad press over just about everything else is where they are losing it all :p

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Something tells me EA is gonna be in the clear for next turd award seeing as how Microsoft is acting like an ADHD kid on a sugar rush with added cocaine sprinkles when it comes to marketing the Xbox One.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
You know, I'm starting to like Microsoft. Rare is the company that practically flip-flops on EVERY SINGLE THING it has said about an upcoming system mere months before its debut.

Granted, their original policies and stances were hilariously anti-consumer, stupid, greedy, and utterly asinine, but, hey, progress is progress...

... But now that it comes with a headset, the Kinect is looking even MORE unnecessary. That giant waste of expensive plastic is still arguably the biggest deal-breaker for many gamers, but Microsoft has faith in it for some reason, despite the fact that the amount of games that really used the Kinect on the 360 to provide a truly better experience can be counted on one hand.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
What I don't get it, why is the headset such a big deal? Doesn't everybody already own one? Or is it some new kind of propitiatory jack that won't have adapters available for less than a month after launch?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Bors Mistral said:
What I don't get it, why is the headset such a big deal? Doesn't everybody already own one? Or is it some new kind of propitiatory jack that won't have adapters available for less than a month after launch?
Originally it was that you couldn't use headsets that worked on the 360 with the Xbox One, or any 360 peripheral at all, and reports were going around that the Xbox One would not include a mic with it. The Turtle Beach headphones were also reported as being incompatible with the Xbox One, but now it's if you have the adapter then it'll work, which the adapters haven't been revealed yet so you hit that one right one the head.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That was a crap unboxing video! The good ones are so much more lascivious, but he just wanted to whip it out and start playing with it. Dude you need to tease your audience way more than that.

Also, what in the name of GOG was that thing? Is that what passes for a power adapter? You could kill cows with that thing.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Ariyura said:
How does the on button light up if he hasn't plugged the system in yet?
There's some speculation in here that it's an internal batery that could help with losing saves in the instance of a black out. Which, to be honest is a pretty cool idea. I don't know how many times I've had the power go out for a minute or two because of stormy weather which ended up in me losing progress in my game. This could keep the system running to prevent the loss of progress.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Relating back to the original article; where the hell did Game Informer EVER mention no headset with the Xbox One? It NEVER says the headset won't be included (didn't even mention it in the slightest), and the escapist took as "omg it won't be included", and now it's an "after all" for them?

Talk about 'unbiased reporting', jesus. Just stick up a big 'WE HATE MICROSOFT' sign on the way in.

I was going to buy the console anyway but as far as I can tell (unless I must be blind or the article was changed) there's been some serious misreporting going on.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
An Xbox One unboxing video shows that both the standard and "day one" edition of the console comes with a headset.
Well, half a headset. And you can get a better one for £5 on Amazon.