How to Talk About Games #3

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]LOL fkcn scrb cant evn noscope fly![/HEADING]

Another Eva dig :D

How many posts until someone misses the joke again, I wonder...

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
dat last panel, I am still laughing about it, also I so hate it when people get complexity and depth mixed up, normally extra complexity allows for more depth but seriously chess is a pretty simple game and it has more depth then a lot of other games.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I am having a hard time learning the lesson because I am laughing too much.

Specially with the coke cats.

Also, I still don't know if Carter hates Evangelion or is just self depreciating.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Remember when Critical Miss was about funny comics, not sounding condescending and elitist all the time? Yeah.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ah yes, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum tries to claim that "opinions can never be wrong"...

Dec 14, 2009
TheBelgianGuy said:
Remember when Critical Miss was about funny comics, not sounding condescending and elitist all the time? Yeah.
How is it condescending? If you could do it without being ironic, that would be great.

[sub]Remember the comic. Use tips from the comic to say why![/sub]

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
TheBelgianGuy said:
Remember when gaming was about enjoying a passtime rather than whining about everything that isn't to one's precise liking? Yeah.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
"Learn to Fly Noob" shall become something I say on a regular basis now. I just know it. Thanks!

icemasteryeti

Feb 2, 2011
There's nothing wrong with saying something is just your opinion as long as you accept that it cuts both ways. If you use that line then you're admitting that you've lost the argument but your opinion of the game is unchanged.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
FEichinger said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
Remember when gaming was about enjoying a passtime rather than whining about everything that isn't to one's precise liking? Yeah.
I'm trying to remember... trying... trying...

failed.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
But the last panel is how I talk to women.
You don't talk! You just waggle more. If they're running away or not paying attention, you're not waggling enough.

TopazFusion said:
Why is the game fun? Because it features cats snorting cocaine, that's why!
What's more fun than cats snorting coke? Snorting coke off a cat. The sequel will feature snorting cats off of coke.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
TheBelgianGuy said:
How is this series being elitist or condescending? It is exactly trying to define common ground when discussing games. And as for funny comics, I am loving this series, because it is a public service, and with any luck will improve our discussions here.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The two best panels are the cats taking cocaine and the one with Erin hanging onto the plane as it crashes.
FEichinger said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
I think I was enthusiastic about games back then.

Grahav said:
Also, I still don't know if Carter hates Evangelion or is just self depreciating.
As far as I can tell he doesn't hate it, he just finds it an easy mark for satire. It is the anime equivalent of Half Life in many ways. Where it gets so much unbridled adoration, that it also causes a lot of unbridled rage.

He enjoys poking the bear with it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So when I say that I like Metro Last Light I need to explain why I find the atmosphere deep and complex instead of just saying "lol my opinion"?......*Pulls pants down* Nope.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What game can I do coke off a cat's belly in?

And is it banned in Australia?

Daystar Clarion said:
How many posts until someone misses the joke again, I wonder...
Statistically, zero posts. But that would break the board.

A shame there's actually a point here that'll be buried under hurt feelings.

TopazFusion said:
Why is the game fun? Because it features cats snorting cocaine, that's why!
And honestly, what more do you need? Except maybe ninjas, am I right?

TheBelgianGuy said:
Thankfully, this comic was pretty funny, and you have absolutely no reason to find it condescending if you are capable of building a persuasive argument. Being able to talk about a subject like an adult should in no way be considered elitist or elite. It should be the standard.

icemasteryeti said:
There's nothing wrong with saying something is just your opinion as long as you accept that it cuts both ways. If you use that line then you're admitting that you've lost the argument but your opinion of the game is unchanged.
The problem is opinions can be wrong, so it's disingenuous to make the argument as it was presented. Additionally, people have been trained to put opinions against facts as though they are somehow equal. Or even to try and back out of an assertive, fact-like statement.

Even in your scenario, people don't generally treat it like they lost the argument, they treat it like some ace up their sleeve that they can use to save the argument.

"opinion" is up there with "fun" and "challenging" in the way it's used.