How to Talk About Games #3

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
TheBelgianGuy said:
Remember when Critical Miss was about funny comics, not sounding condescending and elitist all the time? Yeah.
I read the comic.

I laughed at multiple jokes in it.

Therefore, as far as I can see, it's still funny.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
"Learn to Fly Noob" shall become something I say on a regular basis now. I just know it. Thanks!
"Hey man, this sounds familiar. Is this Foo Fighters? Which song?"

TheBelgianGuy said:
Remember when Critical Miss was about funny comics, not sounding condescending and elitist all the time? Yeah.
Not sure how it's elitist to ask people to back up their argument, unless you're saying that it's prejudiced against idiots who couldn't argue their way out of a wet paper bag.

Regardless, while I did quite enjoy todays comic, I've got to say I preferred when there were storyline strips.

FEichinger said:
Remember when gaming was about enjoying a passtime rather than whining about everything that isn't to one's precise liking? Yeah.
Um...no?

Jandau said:
I read the comic.

I laughed at multiple jokes in it.

Therefore, as far as I can see, it's still funny.
And he has a Dresden avatar. You can't argue with that.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I'd say that you're undermining your own point, because any game that allows you to box against a giant scorpion wearing boxing gloves defies any need for further arguments about it's quality.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Father Time said:
So you're saying that a subjective opinion can be wrong?
Of course it can be wrong.

Hitler's opinion of the Jews was wrong, for instance. (Yes I did just drop a Godwin's Law bomb on this thread.)

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Grahav said:
I am having a hard time learning the lesson because I am laughing too much.

Specially with the coke cats.

Also, I still don't know if Carter hates Evangelion or is just self depreciating.
Baiting Eva fanboys has become a tradition. Which is fine. It's an important anime in the development of the medium, but it's far from flawless. People who can't accept criticism of what they like deserve to be baited as much as possible.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Not bad. However. I disagree on one small point. there is one opinion which is almost never wrong: whether or not I enjoyed the game. Oh sure, the details why fall under this, but I can't wait to see people try to belittle my enjoyment using this.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Father Time said:
I don't get the last bit. So you're saying that a subjective opinion can be wrong? That sounds like one of those douchebags who says "I can objectively prove that this game/band/movie is bad". No you can't.
Allow me with an absolute turd of a game.

Too Human is a third person game with very shitty camera controls. There, that's the end of it. You want more? Fine. Levels are entirely too long, enemies that inflict status effects are too difficult to distinguish from normal enemies, lack of enemy variety does not keep the combat fresh(most are just pallet swaps), the story is blatantly ripped off of Norse mythology, but that's actually fine. What is not fine is that stupid fucking death scene being unskippable.

Too Human is a BAD game. Not mediocre, BAD. That is pretty much a fact. Now you can still enjoy a bad game, because your enjoyment is your opinion. But you like a bad game.

PapstJL4U

Jan 10, 2012
IceForce said:
Father Time said:
So you're saying that a subjective opinion can be wrong?
Of course it can be wrong.

Hitler's opinion of the Jews was wrong, for instance. (Yes I did just drop a Godwin's Law bomb on this thread.)
Well, the comic did it before, so you are free to go.

@topic: nice idee. i like the eva punch ;)

plc hawkeye some games for us :>

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Opinions are subjective and therefore never wrong, eh?

By that logic, they're also never right, they just...exist.

Personally I'd say while you may not be able to define an opinion as right or wrong, you can evaluate its quality and maybe even its legitimacy by how much factual grounding it has and exactly what facts its based on.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Grahav said:
Also, I still don't know if Carter hates Evangelion or is just self depreciating.
At this point, I'm pretty sure it's both.

OT: The first three panels are pretty much the best thing ever.

I also really like the last point.

Also, further proof that complex =/= deep: Dwarf Fortress. The history (up to a thousand years of it) is randomly generated and it's Dwarf Freaking Fortress, so of course it's complex (most complex game in history, probably), but it has no story beyond what you make yourself.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Father Time said:
I don't get the last bit. So you're saying that a subjective opinion can be wrong? That sounds like one of those 'people' who says "I can objectively prove that this game/band/movie is bad". No you can't.
Saying "it's just my opinion" is not a Get Out of Challenge Free Card for that opinion.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Why is the game fun? Because it features cats snorting cocaine, that's why!
Get that shit up on Kickstarter NOW! We'll fund the piss out of it! (not endorsing drugs)

OT: I particularly like the FUN part, since it Swiss cheeses nearly every argument put forth by the so called Nintendo defense force. Just because games have intuitive design and gameplay and are thus "fun" does not mean they are entertaining or fulfilling. They don't get a free pass just because they are more gamey than other narrative heavy games. Other games are free to focus their attention elsewhere if they want to tell a story like the Bioshock titles or a Naughty Dog game. Likewise if indie devs feel like there is too much story and not enough "game" in modern titles, they can go the opposite way, just don't expect it to entertain everyone.

edit: another eva dig... don't stop, don't ever stop. Ever.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
Father Time said:
I don't get the last bit. So you're saying that a subjective opinion can be wrong? That sounds like one of those douchebags who says "I can objectively prove that this game/band/movie is bad". No you can't.
Allow me with an absolute turd of a game.

Too Human is a third person game with very shitty camera controls. There, that's the end of it. You want more? Fine. Levels are entirely too long, enemies that inflict status effects are too difficult to distinguish from normal enemies, lack of enemy variety does not keep the combat fresh(most are just pallet swaps), the story is blatantly ripped off of Norse mythology, but that's actually fine. What is not fine is that stupid fucking death scene being unskippable.

Too Human is a BAD game. Not mediocre, BAD. That is pretty much a fact. Now you can still enjoy a bad game, because your enjoyment is your opinion. But you like a bad game.
You're falling for the conclusions problem again.

WHY are the camera controls bad?

BY WHICH STANDARD are the levels too long?

HOW does this overcome the good parts of the game?

WHAT is the ratio of bad to good?

(The allcaps are not yelling, just emphasis on the important part of the question.)

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Also, those panels were hilarious. I loved Erin hanging onto the plane. Learn 2 fly nub... all you needed was a "hue hue hue" and I would have busted into my hyena laugh.