Prey 2 In Development At Arkane, Leaked Emails Reveal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prey 2 In Development At Arkane, Leaked Emails Reveal

Prey 2 is being developed by Arkane Studios after all, despite flat-out insisting that it isn't happening.

Prey 2 is a mess, and has been for some time - and not just as a game, although that's apparently the case, but also a PR mess. Reports of work stoppages due to not good enough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116867-Rumor-Contract-Dispute-Halted-Prey-2-Development]" in the eyes of publisher Bethesda and rumors that developer Human Head had been taken off the job, possibly in favor of Dishonored studio Arkane.

Bethesda was coy about the situation but insisted that Arkane was not involved, telling Rock, Paper, Shotgun in flat-out "no" [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/bethesda-talks-prey-2-denies-arkane-involvement/] when asked by RPS whether it was involved in Prey 2, adding, "We've been looking at where that rumor came from, and I really don't know."

But that all went out the window yesterday as Kotaku posted leaked emails from May in which Colantonio says specifically that Arkane's new studio in Austin, Texas is in fact working on Prey 2, which is being envisioned as "the spiritual successor to System Shock 3." (Yes, System Shock 3; I assume he means it will be like what Arkane would do it if had access to the System Shock license.)

A few days later, after Kotaku heard the rumor and asked Colantonio about it, he sent another email out to his staff, which also ended up in Kotaku's hands. "Now that the news is out, we'll be contacted left and right by press sneak fucks who will want to know more," he wrote on May 31. "Please don't answer to any of their requests."

When contacted today about what is apparently a very clear confirmation that Prey 2 is now in Arkane's hands, Bethesda said simply, "We aren't talking about what Arkane is working on and we have no new information to share on Prey 2."

There are obviously a few angles to this story. For one, we now "know" that Arkane is working on Prey 2, which is great news; the last time Arkane wanted to make a sequel to a great, neglected franchise - Ultima Underworld - but couldn't get the rights, it whipped up the marvelous Arx Fatalis instead.

But it's disheartening to learn that Bethesda has been outright lying in response to press inquiries. It's one thing to issue a "no comment" - that's perfectly acceptable practice - but to be dishonest about it and say "no" when you know full well that the truth is "yes" is a different matter entirely. Colantonio's characterization of the press as "sneak fucks," while no doubt borne of frustration, isn't exactly endearing either.

In any event, there you have it. Prey 2 is in the works at Arkane Austin, it's getting a System Shock twist and Bethesda and Arkane are mad. Two out of three ain't bad, but this still doesn't look good on either of them.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/leaked-e-mails-suggest-bethesda-misled-gamers-about-pre-1149092622]

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Methinks this article is trying to skip over the whole 'leak' aspect of this situation. Colantonio has every right to be pissed off, far as I'm concerned.

Captcha: mum's the word. Oh geez, that's just mean.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I think the best thing to come out of this is the term "Press Sneak Fucks". A fantastic, and in some cases - more accurate description of the gaming press.

But seriously, glad that Prey 2 is in development, even if Bethesda did blatantly lie about its' existence.

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, Bungie did this with Halo 3 (said they weren't working on it when they were), so whatev.

I'm just sad that we won't be able to play the Prey 2 we've been shown so far. It looked really great :(

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Someone help me understand the logic of denying that a project is on-going when it is.

Would that not only serve to alienate potential customers?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Minor typo: It's Arx Fatalis, not Arx Fatalas.

That said, Arkane is a decent studio,so let's hope this turns out good. Or at least doesn't turn into DNF. =p

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Schadrach said:
Or at least doesn't turn into DNF. =p
Would have gone with Aliens: Colonial Marines to be honest. for everything DNF did wrong at least the game worked properly....and didn't do terrible terrible things to the Aliens universe....

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Schadrach said:
Minor typo: It's Arx Fatalis, not Arx Fatalas.
Thanks. I actually knew that, I just had a moment. ;)

Mr Cwtchy said:
Methinks this article is trying to skip over the whole 'leak' aspect of this situation. Colantonio has every right to be pissed off, far as I'm concerned.
No denying that. The trouble is that prior to getting angry about the press digging into the truth, he was actively lying about the truth. "No comment" is fair and honest, but lying about the truth is not.

And leaks are nothing new. Hell, companies and agencies often provide the "leaks" themselves in an effort to control the media. Colantonio's anger may be understandable, but there's nothing underhanded about what's going on, except in how he has behaved himself.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
1. Bethesda didn't say Arkane wasn't working on it.
"Arkane was even more adamant about it: Co-Creative Director Raphael Colantonio said flat-out "no" when asked by RPS whether it was involved in Prey 2, adding, "We've been looking at where that rumor came from, and I really don't know.""
Arkane said they weren't working on it, not Bethesda.

2. Regardless, A "Leak" is hardly reliable enough evidence to start claiming studios have been "Lying."

I think Chalk is just burned about the "Press Sneak Fucks" line. To which I would point out that, if true, that was a private correspondence. The public at large was never supposed to read that, he can say what ever the hell he wants.

Remember, an email is not Twitter. It would be like if some one jacked my letter box and then complained about things I said in a letter to my grandma. If someone did that, I wouldn't call them "Sneak Fucks" in a letter, I'd do it out loud.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Why on earth should a game company have to reveal the projects it's working on if they want to keep them a secret? Considering "no comment" is essentially an admission by this point, it's unsurprising that they lied if they want to keep the project under wraps - especially if they're still in the preliminary stages of development and don't really have anything to announce. Now Arkane's going to be harassed about the Prey 2 project till the reveal - a frustrating position to be in.

This isn't "underhanded." If you're going to harass someone for a secret and they lie to you, well, you kind of brought that on yourself, didn't you? It's like expecting Coca-Cola to give up the formula because you asked nicely.

As for the "press sneak fucks" bit, I would feel a bit vindictive too if a project I were working on were suddenly leaked to the press.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I don't really see a problem with them saying they aren't working on something when they really are, they are just keeping it under wraps until they are ready to let the public know. Even if you absolutely hate when someone tells a lie this is hardly a major one, no one is going to die because a game studio lied about what projects they are working on.

And even though he called journalists 'sneak press fucks' that was in a private email not intended for the public, plus the fact that said private email made its way to the gaming press goes some way to justifying the comment. I can imagine the game is either being scrapped entirely and built from the ground up or is going through a major overhaul, but details might be scarce so they don't want to be hounded by the media until they actually know what they are going to be doing with it.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
I hate how most reporters think it's their "god given right" to stick their nose into other people's business. Your article implies that him "lying" about a production of the game is such a big deal that it justifies being harassed and their emails stolen. Learn some damn respect and stop trying to blow everything into a controversy just for the sake of more views.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Yeah...I kind of just lost my interest in the project. I was all up for space bounty hunter, but every game that has tried to be a spiritual successor to System Shock has been a disappointment to me.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
ex951753 said:
I hate how most reporters think it's their "god given right" to stick their nose into other people's business.
It kind of is. You know, how most civilised countries have 'Freedom of the press' written into their constitution as one of the basic human rights.
They also tend to have stuff in there about rights to privacy too.

Just saying.