Dead Rising 3 Targeting 30 Frames Per Second

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 3 Targeting 30 Frames Per Second

Capcom address concerns that Dead Rising 3 demos at E3 and GamesCom have been dropping below 30 FPS.

Dead Rising 3 developer Capcom Vancouver is working with Microsoft to improve the game's frame rate issues before it's official launch, senior producer Jason Leigh has assured VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/dead_rising_3/news/capcom_working_with_microsoft_to_improve_dead_rising_3_performance_in_time_for_launch.html]. Fans were quick to notice that both the GamesCom and E3 demos of the game ran into frame rate issues, but Leigh assures us that "[the] demo is actually several weeks old and we've made a lot of ground. We've got a little bit more ways to go before we release the game."

Games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 ranged anywhere from 30 to 60 frames per second, with games in the later stages of the generation's life-cycle usually utilizing lower frame-rates. Halo 3, for instance, was locked at 30 FPS, as was The Last of Us. Many of us expected the hardware upgrade of the PS4 and Xbox One to come with an increase in frame rate, bringing consoles in line with the 60 FPS PC gamers have come to accept as standard, but developers seem to be fairly split on the issue.

Call of Duty: Ghosts developer Infinity Ward says they are aiming for 60 FPS "not a necessity," [http://www.examiner.com/article/call-of-duty-ghosts-ps4-and-xbox-one-frame-rate-target-revealed] and will stick to 30.

Meanwhile, Capcom Vancouver, which is having trouble even maintaining 30 FPS, claims Dead Rising 3 should be stable by launch. "We're targeting 30 frames a second," Leigh added, "and because we're based in Vancouver, and Seattle is where Microsoft is based, we're only three hours up the road so we constantly have tech people driving back and forth and they're helping us to make this a very smooth running game at launch."

Hopefully they can sort this out before launch. What do you guys think? Is 30 FPS too low? Should 60 FPS be the standard for next-gen?

Source: VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/dead_rising_3/news/capcom_working_with_microsoft_to_improve_dead_rising_3_performance_in_time_for_launch.html]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
30 is fine by me but they can do whatever they like so long as the game plays smoothly.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'd say it really depends on why it's 30 FPS.

If you're putting twice the amount of stuff on-screen, more enemies, more weapons, more explosions, more terrain etc. then you're going to take twice as long t render a single frame and thus half your FPS. I'd say that's fine if it improves the gameplay. I'll sacrifice a bit of fluidity for having a game that's much more filled.

If you've badly optimized code ( no, start of the console cycle is not an excuse. This gen is pretty much normal PC architecture ) then there's no excuse.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The game doesnt even look that visually good so I'll just say that Capcom probably isnt that well prepared for next gen. I dont even know what engine they are using but when you have a game like Battlefield 4 running at 60FPS then I really dont think that its just because of the high number of zombies on screen since there is also Knack with that whole "a lot of shit on screen" thing (and I doubt that its AI, its zombies, they either dont do anything or follow in a conga line).

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
30 FPS? Keep pushing that envelope, Capcom...
But really, is anyone surprised by this?
It's not like Capcom have been making the smartest decisions lately, anyway.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Sometimes it feels like devs just use the better tech to be more lazy about optimization... 30 FPS as the aim on a console that's not even out yet, Xbox One. Very ambitious indeed.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm hoping this whole 30FPS is only while devs are getting used to optimising for the next-gen, rather than a thing that will continue because they are too lazy or not allowed to spend time optimising because of publisher pressure.

Srsly, I thought the whole point of the next gen was to bring consoles up to the PC gaming master race 60fps?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
vrbtny said:
I'm hoping this whole 30FPS is only while devs are getting used to optimising for the next-gen, rather than a thing that will continue because they are too lazy or not allowed to spend time optimising because of publisher pressure.
Remember that resolution and frame-rate both dropped over this generation to compensate for the hardware getting long in the tooth

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
vrbtny said:

Srsly, I thought the whole point of the next gen was to bring consoles up to the PC gaming master race 60fps?
The common excuse is that things need to be at 30 FPS to the devs can better control the interactions between the players and NPC's. Which is total bunk because Dark souls ran fine at 60FPS and so does every other game that is eventually forced to run as such.

So basicly 30FPS is just so they can be lazy with certain things.

Dec 14, 2009
Next gen consoles, folks.

I never really noticed until I switched to PC, but when I say, spend a few hours playing Borderlands 2 on PC, then go to play The Last of Us on my PS3, that FPS drop is really noticeable, I can't stop noticing it. Especially when any console game hits a rough patch and it suffers from even more FPS drop.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
Next gen consoles, folks.

I never really noticed until I switched to PC, but when I say, spend a few hours playing Borderlands 2 on PC, then go to play The Last of Us on my PS3, that FPS drop is really noticeable, I can't stop noticing it. Especially when any console game hits a rough patch and it suffers from even more FPS drop.
Those who do most (or all) of their gaming on console either don't know what 60+ fps is like on PC, or just don't have a PC that can pull that fps in most new titles. There is a pretty small overlap between console owners and midrange/high-end PC owners.

30 fps is fine for them.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
way to be ambitious guys...

if it's smooth and NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER drops below 30, it's kind of acceptable if a lot is going on, but for next gen "more powerful than PCs" consoles, that's shocking

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
If the game runs smooth at all times and the world is as open, seem less, and packed with content as they say it is, 30 fps is no big whoop.

Run-on sentence for the win.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Eh don't care. I've never regularly been treated to 60FPS like the PC players have, so it being 30 doesn't affect me at all. Hell, I'd prefer it if it means we're getting a ton more content and it runs smoothly.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
vrbtny said:

Well, next-gen uses PC architecture, so devs don't need to 'get used to it' because normally nowadays what you learn to program for first.

I don't see why it's such a big problem. 30FPS is smooth and can sometimes give the game a certain look dependant on the game. Besides, they say they're probably targeting 30FPS so they have a 'comfort zone' because of the amount of the work they're rendering all at once

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Dryk said:
vrbtny said:
Remember that resolution and frame-rate both dropped over this generation to compensate for the hardware getting long in the tooth
Don't worry, the human eye can't noticed frame-rate over 15 anyway. For the record, I am making fun of console players who argue that we can't see more than 30 fps and only PC elitists claim they can to justify their platform.

I am going to guess this is because of the early stage in developing for the console. Shit happens because they're not used to the hardware and the OS they have to work with. As long as the game manages to NEVER drop below 30 fps and keep stable values I won't say it's a dealbreaker (Xbox One exclusive on the other hand is one).