Molyneux's Godus Now Available Via Steam Early Access

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Molyneux's Godus Now Available Via Steam Early Access

Fable creator Peter Molyneux's ambitious new "God simulator" Godus has entered its early access beta.

One thing that Peter Molyneux sure can do well is talk up his games, and his latest "God simulator" Godus is no exception. He essentially Steam store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124353-Peter-Molyneuxs-Curiosity-Finally-Chipped-Away] for $20, and contributors to the Godus Kickstarter should be receiving their own beta keys soon.

"Our reason for using early access is so that we can get as many of you to play the game and for us to learn from what you enjoy and hate. In that way over the coming months develop Godus into a GREAT game, that is our passion!"

The game will also be out on the Android and iOS platforms at a later date, though Molyneux states that those versions will be free-to-play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124208-Peter-Molyneuxs-Godus-Goes-With-Free-to-Play-Publisher]. Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.

In Godus, the player is empowered in the role of a God, allowing them to sculpt every inch of a beautiful world that they look down upon, on which a population of Followers settle and multiply. The Curiosity winner, Bryan Henderson, will take the role of "God of Gods", [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124400-Curiosity-Winner-Faces-Restricted-Godus-Godhood] will be able to influence the rules of the game to whatever he sees fit.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/232810]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There is only one God simulator, and it is Actraiser.

But seriously, wasn't Bryan's role severely scaled back? That was the most interesting bit to me, and it seems there was a ton of limitations.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:

But seriously, wasn't Bryan's role severely scaled back? That was the most interesting bit to me, and it seems there was a ton of limitations.
I've never understood that either.

From what I understand, the guy worked really hard to get some unnamed prize, and then he got the role of a god, but it's only for a limited amount of time. Why?

In any event, I do wonder if the role of "god" can be fought over and won briefly because if so then that would be interesting.

Then again, I could be giving good ole Molyneux too much credit.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
wombat_of_war said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

I've never understood that either.

From what I understand, the guy worked really hard to get some unnamed prize, and then he got the role of a god, but it's only for a limited amount of time. Why?

In any event, I do wonder if the role of "god" can be fought over and won briefly because if so then that would be interesting.

Then again, I could be giving good ole Molyneux too much create.
he apparently got it at the last minute and fluked being the guy who actually got the prize. good on him

i think ill wait till the reviews come in before even coming close to getting this
Damn. That's some dedication. I knew that there were people out there that were competing for it hardcore, but I didn't know how close it really was. Cool beans.

But yeah, I'm waiting until I hear how this game plays out before I even step into that game since Molyneux tends to over sell his games.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
If I am not mistaken, then this is an always online SP/MP game with a persistent world that has dedicated server(s). I read that there originally was an in-game store but that is was disabled due to the initial backlash, and so I can't help but wonder what will happen next.

Are they going to reintroduce the microtransactions in order to sustain server costs or will they somehow redesign the game for peer 2 peer?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Every time I see a Peter Molyneux game I think of the word disappointment. That man is very good at promising things and not delivering. Every.Single.Time.
I can understand how he became a big name in gaming industry, but why, oh why is he still relevant?

captcha: silence is golden

So now captcha is telling me to shut the hell up.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
captcha: silence is golden

So now captcha is telling me to shut the hell up.
Or maybe its a message for Peter to shut up over selling his games before they are released. :)

I will wait for reviews of this game but im doubting it will be that great. Its sold on the "you can be god and make laws" but im thinking the game itself will be crap. Everyone will just be wanting to be the overall rule maker.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.
Umm....What? Surely buying early access is the same thing as buying the game, right? Let's face it, if a company charged for early access then told you that you have to re-buy the game on release, people would be seriously pissed.

So basically, I disagree with the assessment that you get the game free on release. What you're really doing is buying it early so the developers can use you to help test the game.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
frobalt said:
Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.
Umm....What? Surely buying early access is the same thing as buying the game, right? Let's face it, if a company charged for early access then told you that you have to re-buy the game on release, people would be seriously pissed.

So basically, I disagree with the assessment that you get the game free on release. What you're really doing is buying it early so the developers can use you to help test the game.
Devs that use early access typically sell the game at a large discount to what it's going to be sold for at release, and increase the price of the game towards the release prices as the beta goes on. (unless of course you're that one game doing it ass backwards by charging 3x the release price for early access and is decreasing the price as it nears release)

You're right though, you're not getting the game for free by any stretch of the imagination. Though Godus is $20 on steam atm so I'm curious what they plan to sell the final product at.

OT:
I actually bought the game yesterday when I saw it had hit early access, and let me just say that it is a very slowly paced game. I spent 8 hours playing it yesterday and I'm still not out of the first of four stages for the Primitive Age. It also shows that the game was, or is, designed around the idea of micro-transactions at some point or another because the various resources you need to advance are only available through random chance; either by finding buried treasure, competing in story mode against AI, or multiplayer matches[footnote]Multiplayer is currently not implemented if I understood in the in-game developer notes on the release.[/footnote]. Once I hit the point where you can't advance the story anymore until reaching to bronze age my progression basically stopped because I needed 5 coal cards to unlock mining (to mine the secondary currency of gems)

Put simply this is definitely a very early version of the game, only 40% of the end product if the loading screen is to be believe, and unless you're dying to get your hands on it (like I was for reasons I can't fully understand) I'd say give it a few updates before buying in or just wait for the final release.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I've played it a little bit last night.
Having to click followers to keep them alive is a pain.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Paying $20 to beta test a free-to-play phone game? No thanks Pete. If that is an indication that the game is going to be more expensive later on then it sounds like they have over priced the game, if they are dropping the price on release then early adopters are getting screwed over.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Rex Dark said:
I agree, at first I though it's a pretty alright game, but then I slowly but steadily felt like I'm actually in an iPhone game where I need to keep tapping houses to get anything. Now I feel slightly annoyed that I wasted my money on this.
seriously, how hard can it be to not make a game insanely repititive and click intensive. it feels like Minecraft without any crafting, hunting or whatever, just mining blocks, and you are only allowed to place ONE after mining a whole ten of them. AAARGH.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Am I only one who thinks this game looks absolutely terrible? First Black & White, game from over a decade ago, looks much better than this. Models of people back then were technologically limited but at least they had faces. And the pancake terrain is just awful.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Rainforce said:
Rex Dark said:
I agree, at first I though it's a pretty alright game, but then I slowly but steadily felt like I'm actually in an iPhone game where I need to keep tapping houses to get anything. Now I feel slightly annoyed that I wasted my money on this.
seriously, how hard can it be to not make a game insanely repititive and click intensive. it feels like Minecraft without any crafting, hunting or whatever, just mining blocks, and you are only allowed to place ONE after mining a whole ten of them. AAARGH.
Well, after a little bit more playing I actually got the hang of it.
You don't have to send your followers out of their house unless it's to build more houses.
Or attack an enemy.
All you have to do is make more flat space for houses to be built on.

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
Just checked this out because I'm a huge fan of Populous and the original Black and White. It's rubbish. It's more of an app than a game. Obviously set up to cash in on microtransactions and made specifically for phones and tablets. I know there's a market for that type of thing but I'm definitely not a part of that demographic. Just makes me sad because I loved Molyneux's old games so much.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Rex Dark said:
Rainforce said:
Rex Dark said:
Well, after a little bit more playing I actually got the hang of it.
You don't have to send your followers out of their house unless it's to build more houses.
Or attack an enemy.
All you have to do is make more flat space for houses to be built on.
I mostly mean the manual collection of faith, the breeding thing is remotely ok.