Philadelphia to Become Gaming's Hollywood?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Philadelphia to Become Gaming's Hollywood?

An industry group is trying to convince the Pennsylvanian state government to offer tax breaks to developers in the hope of convincing them to settle in the state.

The Videogame Growth Initiative, or VGI, may not be a name that you've heard before, but they've got big plans for the city of Philadelphia.

"There's no reason Philadelphia can't be the Hollywood for video games," said Hardik Bhatt, developer and spokesperson for VGI. After an invitation to GDC to present a game he had developed that could be played using only the movements of the head and neck, Bhatt realized that Philadelphia was under-represented in the gaming industry:

"We saw places like Toronto and Georgia that had booths attracting all of these places to open up satellite studios there, and we didn't see Philadelphia. So we took on this mission to put Philadelphia on the map," he said.

Philadelphia is well placed to become the 'Hollywood of Gaming'. It has a lower cost of living than the current development hubs as well as the only Ivy League university that offers courses in video game development, graduates of which often find employment with West Coast developers like EA. It's also a great time to be trying to attract developers, as only eight states in the US offer videogame focused incentives, compared to the forty-eight that offer incentives to the movie industry.

Unfortunately for VGI, Philadelphia is in the grip of a massive fiscal crisis right now, so the prospect of offering tax breaks must seem fairly unappealing as only this week Mayor Michael Nutter warned that he may have to lay off more than a thousand police officers and fire fighters.

Currently, the city's plan is to better market its existing incentives, but Bhatt is skeptical: "That's still not enough, it's not like other cities don't have these kinds of incentives," he said. "I'm hoping it doesn't take a studio to look into the city and decide to go somewhere else for them to change their minds."

Source: CityPaper [http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2009/08/06/videogame-growth-initiative-philadelphia] via GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/08/07/group-hopes-turn-philadelphia-gaming-mecca]

(image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonythemisfit/2443746612])

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
At least It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Another reason for them to head on over.
[sup]See what I did there^[/sup]

BlueberryFalacy

Apr 12, 2009
This actually sounds like a good revenue maker for the city to me, as if it did kick off and it went as big as Bhatt wishes it might you'd have a fluctuation of Devs migrating to Philly and spending money into it's economy.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
No damn you!, make it Dublin! make it Dublin!, we'll give you alcohol if you do.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Perfect, the escapist needs to start an investment fund where we buy land there right before a really hyped up game that we've also advertised for free as much as we can. Then when land value goes up we can sell it for money! :D

"Phil-a-del-phia hills, that's where I want to be!" (I know it's Hollywood but let me have my moment)

...but really it sounds good. To bad it probably won't happen.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Hey, Scranton is in dire need of new industry, and our ass-clown of a mayor isn't above giving businesses tax-free status for campaign contributions. Not to mention it costs half as much to live here, than it does in a bigger city, and you don't have to worry about pesky things like getting murdered in the middle of the street in broad daylight. They should come here!

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Then it would be just a hop and skip (perhaps even a jump) away from NYC. That would be really nifty for some one like myself who wants to get into game development (music and sound effects mostly) but doesn't want to stray to far from the area.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I endorse this plan. The more developers there are, the better. And it brings business to the area.

GO PENNSYLVANIA!

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Pandalisk said:
No damn you!, make it Dublin! make it Dublin!, we'll give you alcohol if you do.
Eh we've got Havoc, modern games would be lost without us.
And Game Republic too, Ireland is like the gaming capital of the world obviously

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
scotth266 said:
I endorse this plan. The more developers there are, the better. And it brings business to the area.

GO PENNSYLVANIA!
Indeed. I'm going to write a letter to Governor Rendell [http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Governor/govmail.html], and my local city council. This whole area has lost thousands of skilled industrial jobs in the last several decades. We need some kind of industry to fill the void. Why not high-tech software jobs?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
We need a new industry in Michigan pretty badly. Maybe I should try and petition the Governor's office about getting some industry tax breaks up here.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Rigs83 said:
Maybe a free Philly Cheese steak and coke will due.
Knowing Developers are all geeks like us with the added caveat they have to eat on the go, this may actually help.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
I wonder how they'd go about naming the thing...Gaming Hollywood? Or some variation of -Ollywood? Or some really freaking bad pun?