Microsoft's Harrison: We Are Winning The Games Message

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft's Harrison: We Are Winning The Games Message

We took feedback on board and changed, says Harrison.

Microsoft's Phil Harrison acknowledges that the Xbox One has had a rocky time, what with its disastrous reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7358-Xbox-One-out-of-Ten] and a fair-to-middling E3, but he thinks it's about to turn the corner. "We are winning the games message," says Harrison, and points at the E3 awards that Xbox games won. That includes Titanfall - "the most awarded game in the history of E3" says Harrison - the mech shooter Respawn Entertainment has been working on, and which won't get released until sometime in early 2014.

Harrison claims Microsoft has learned from its mistakes - or, as Microsoft would prefer to think of it, taken on feedback that indicated it was too far ahead of the curve - and changed its plans accordingly. "We think that's a good thing," says he. One of the things that isn't so good is the limited console release; first it was only going to be out in 21 countries, and now it's limiting itself to 13 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126850-Xbox-One-Will-Launch-In-Just-13-Countries]. The other 8 markets will get a chance to buy the Xbox One sometime in 2014, while the rest of the world might get a look in at some point. "In the long run, in the life of Xbox One, I don't believe this will have any material impact," says Harrison, as he pledges that Microsoft will do its best to keep up.

The Xbox One did have a decent E3, but Sony sizeable chunk of Microsoft's E3 event [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KhiN8LUxgY]. Come Christmas, we shall see.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/from-crisis-to-contender-microsoft-on-xbox-one-and-the-power-of-the-crowd/]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Nice of them to slow down for us dumdums.

I look forward to looking back (bear with me) on the life of the Xbone to see if it was or was not negatively affected by this drip-feed release. At the moment I struggle to see how it won't be, but that's just biased old me.

Look! Titanfall! Oooh, shiny.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
So they think they were ahead of the curve? Where was that curve leading them? It wasn't upwards I can guarantee you that.

It's not necessarily a good thing to be the first in a free fall you know.....

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I think the saddest part is they've been pumping up Titanfall so heavily that a lot of people seemed to entirely miss the announcements that it wouldn't be exclusive to the Xbox One.

But yeah, he's probably not entirely wrong about the "material impact". I always figured the Xbox would sell like cinnamon buns even if they hadn't back-tracked on the DRM.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm glad Titanfall will also be released for PC so I don't have to deal with that MS BS. However, it is also a EA Origin game... meh, maybe I'll pick it still up, reimported keys will be around 50% cheaper anyways and that way I can wait for the reviews. Hyped games have a tendency to not be as great as everyone imagines.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Karloff said:
Harrison claims Microsoft has learned from its mistakes - or, as Microsoft would prefer to think of it, taken on feedback that indicated it was too far ahead of the curve - and changed its plans accordingly. "We think that's a good thing,"
Meanwhile, at Valve.

And that Microsoft, is how you do Sharing, no 24 Bullshit check-ins, no fucking over the entire userbase for a single negligible 'advantage,' just a nice simple opt-in. There was literally no reason why you couldn't done this with digital games.

Wait, Titanfall doesn't have a release date yet? What games are available on launch?

Captcha: dalek asylum (this geeky captcha almost makes up for all the advertising ones)

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Curve ahead?

Someone must have flipped their charts upside down.

Also E3 must have been very boring this year if call of duty on steroids + mechs was the most awarded title.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kalezian said:
Diablo1099 said:
They are betting a LOT on Titanfall, aren't they?

remember the last Xbone thread? where they say Indie games wont be coming until 2014?

I said the same thing. It seems whenever Microsoft says something, "Titanfall looks amazing, guys." is usually followed right behind it.

I dont normally wish a game to become a massive failure, but to me it will be hilarious if Titanfall sucks so bad that gamers want a full refund for it.

also, someone learn Harrison some economics and financing real quick.

if product A is only being released in between 8 and 13 markets during the same time period that product B is going to be released in, say, 21 markets, including those that product A will be released in, then product A, regardless of how many sale it does get, wont be getting sales in the remaining eight markets [assuming the Xbone actually releases in the 13 markets they say it will].

With the Ps4 already being cheaper and not bundled with bloatware, if the Xbone does finally get released in the markets Microsoft assumes doesn't exist, why would gamers want to pay $500 for a system that they more than likely already have games for on their Ps4 or PC?

and I swear to god, if someone says Titanfall..........
The real funny thing is that titanfall is on PC as well, so anyone that has a PC and PS4 is set for the forseeable future.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
rhizhim said:
ah yes.
http://riotandfrolic.typepad.com/.a/6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi

so far it only has 2 games holding hostage i care about. and one of them is dead rising 3.
Oh god, that picture! It really does an excellent job of describing Microsoft right now.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
mechalynx said:
rhizhim said:
ah yes.
http://riotandfrolic.typepad.com/.a/6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi

so far it only has 2 games holding hostage i care about. and one of them is dead rising 3.
Oh god, that picture! It really does an excellent job of describing Microsoft right now.
How about this one?

Because really, they don't seem to know what winning means.

This guy needs to learn from Bobby Kotick and shut up. He's bringing nothing but negative press down on his company's head. If the XBone flunks (which is looking very likely), I think he's going to be out on his ass.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, I don't necessarily disagree with what he's saying, I mean, I'm interested in more exclusive titles on Xbox One than I am on PS4, but Christ alive, do they have to sound so arrogant about everything?

Maybe someone at MS should try to keep the likes or Harrison quiet for a while.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
mechalynx said:
How about this one?

Because really, they don't seem to know what winning means.

This guy needs to learn from Bobby Kotick and shut up. He's bringing nothing but negative press down on his company's head. If the XBone flunks (which is looking very likely), I think he's going to be out on his ass.
No, that would be us, the audience.

No, they should never ever shut up. That'd be the end of my daily dose of high quality comedy.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
'Winning the games message.'

Mentions only Titanfall every 10 minutes.

Isn't a launch title.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
"If in doubt mention Titanfall" - Ancient Microsoft proverb.
At this rate Titanfall is going to a dead horse before it has a chance to live.

I can't help but feel that Microsoft is trying to outdo Call of Duty with Titanfall, and we all know how that usually turns out...