Support the Veterans by Playing Black Ops 2

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Support the Veterans by Playing Black Ops 2

This week Activision, Treyarch and Microsoft will be donating the profits from selected Black Ops 2 DLC packs to the Call of Duty Endowment.

The folks at Activision have always had a soft spot for veterans. In 2009 they launched the Call of Duty Endowment, a non-profit organization that assists veterans with job placement, training and educational services. And this week, Activision is rolling out a plan that will allow Black Ops 2 players to chip in by purchasing selected DLC packs.

Starting tomorrow, anyone who purchases one of the 17 Black Ops 2 personalization packs on Xbox LIVE will receive a 25 percent discount. Plus, Activision, Treyarch and Microsoft will be donating all of the profits to the Call of Duty Endowment.

"This is a great opportunity for the Call of Duty community to get involved, and we're delighted to work with Treyarch and our friends at Xbox to donate all profits from this activity toward helping vets find good jobs," said Dan Goldenberg, Executive Director of the Call of Duty Endowment. "For most veterans, there's nothing more important to easing their transition back into the civilian world than finding meaningful work."

The event will end on October 14th. So, if you're looking for an excuse to play a little Black Ops 2, this might be a good one.

Source: Press Release [http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=795179]

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Are you serious? You are better off donating to the actual charities that help veterans instead.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'd rather just give money to charity, however I do like this direction.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That's pretty cool and I can't imagine that those packs cost a lot for them to make (as in, I imagine a LOT of it is profit).

Not everyone likes to just straight up donate their money and would like to get something in return for it. This also feels like a nice way to cater to the teenage crowd as a sort of "donating to good causes is a good thing" lesson.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
"We're donating all of the PROFITS to charity."

"We're donating all of the MONEY to charity."

Funny how one word can change everything.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Alpha Maeko said:

Well, what do you expect? This is Activision, the greatest evil in the world of gaming, moreso because unlike EA, the vast majority of people don't consider them that bad. For a moment, I thought that perhaps I'd have to admit they did something nice, but not so much. I'll just do what I always do, and give to charity instead.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Alpha Maeko said:

Oh, and my 16 million salaray is considered a cost BEFORE profit so... thanks, Veterens!

*flips bird*

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I've got a better idea! Let's not have veterans in the first place!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, time to bust this one out again:

What is it about charity that turns so many people into condescending assholes? Yeah Activision could do more. But they're doing something and that means more money to help more veterans. This is a good thing.

TheEvilGenius

Apr 18, 2010
AS an active duty service member (USN), I like what they're doing here. Sure, they're not giving all of their proceeds to the cause but its certainly better than nothing. Besides, given CoD's colossal player base on XBL, this could turn out to be quite a hefty sum of money.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
As an Iraq veteran, it's cool what they're doing but I still refuse to play COD.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I don't think even charity is enough to get me back into the cesspool that is that is the frustration and community of CoD.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wait, they're donating the profits from DLC sales whilst also discounting them by 25%? I guess the vets don't deserve that extra 25%. And why not donate all of the proceeds or have a special free DLC to raise awareness and ask people to donate to veterans charities directly? Oh right, they want publicity whilst giving away as little as possible. Can't mess with Bobby's paycheck after all.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Kheapathic said:
and for everyone who's being condescending about it; fucking cry more or donate more than they're willing to, then you'll have some high ground to stand on.
Naw, it's cool. My country has free retraining programs for everyone - not just veterans :)

Rated #1 most free nation on the planet, woo!

Damn this high ground I'm standing on is comfy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kheapathic said:
and for everyone who's being condescending about it; fucking cry more or donate more than they're willing to, then you'll have some high ground to stand on.
And what if we already did? Can we then be condescending about it?

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
I'd rather not support anything that involves the USA military(or veterans), i understand you think your soldiers are heroes but as soon as i read the title i kinda cringed a bit.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Schmeiser said:
I'd rather not support anything that involves the USA military(or veterans), i understand you think your soldiers are heroes but as soon as i read the title i kinda cringed a bit.
Same here. Plus, I don't get why there is a charity for something people should be given in the first place. One of the richest countries in the world should already have solved this. This charity shouldn't be necessary.