Microsoft Studios VP: PC and Xbox Crossplay "Makes Sense

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Microsoft Studios VP: PC and Xbox Crossplay "Makes Sense

The future of the industry is a cross-platform "connected ecosystem."

For all those gamers with multiple consoles who need to coordinate what version of a game to buy with their friends, Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer feels your pain. Spencer, the corporate vice president of the studio, has said that cross platform play between Xbox One and Windows 8 PCs "makes a lot of sense" for the company. "I'm not allowed to leak things," said Spencer when asked the question in a recent interview. "But I think what you're talking about makes a lot of sense."

Microsoft had previously tried such an experiment with the 2007 title Shadowrun, which allowed Xbox 360 and Windows Vista owners to play alongside each other. Spencer, who worked on the title, brought this up in the interview, saying "we didn't have tremendous success with that, but we learnt a lot from it." A few more recent games were further experiments in this field. "Earlier this year we released Skulls of the Shogun, which was a game we launched on all three platforms on the same day, and you could start on one platform and then save the game to the Cloud and play across any of the screens and progress. And then Halo: Spartan Assault has some links between Halo 4 and Spartan Assault, even though they're very different games."

The industry is gradually embracing a cross-platform dynamic, he said, and he sees Xbox Live as being central to that. This "connected ecosystem" across different gaming devices is the future of gaming, he said.

Source: <a href=http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3362615>Ausgamers via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2013/10/14/microsoft-cross-platform-play-makes-sense#.UlxG3FAWLl0>GamePolitics.com

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I definitely like the idea of cross-platform, but we haven't really seen a working example yet. Maybe with those PS3/Vita games, but that's still in it's early days. And enough with the cloud worship already.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
While FPS cross-play is an absolutely terrible idea (Microsoft also acknowledges this) I do think there's some room for xplay in more turn-based play styles - essentially anything competitive that requires twitch reflexes should never used mixed inputs.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
While FPS cross-play is an absolutely terrible idea (Microsoft also acknowledges this) I do think there's some room for xplay in more turn-based play styles - essentially anything competitive that requires twitch reflexes should never used mixed inputs.
XCOM came to mind.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Seeing how Microsoft seems to view PCs as little more than glorified tablets, and PC gaming no more than tablet gaming with a mouse, they're probably thinking about doing stuff more akin to what they were proposing with Smartglass than actual cross platform play. This could just be the cynical in me talking, but Microsoft has shown time and again that they really don't care about PC as a traditional gaming platform, and seeing as how their attempts to support PC gaming have been disastrous, I don't necessarily want them to try to support it.

Then again, with the announcement of SteamOS, Microsoft may be realizing that they can't rely on PC gamers always getting Windows, which may prompt them to try to support PC gaming more. I don't think it's likely that we'll see a new commitment from Microsoft for traditional PC gaming, but it's possible.

Also, the title is missing a quotation mark. You have no idea how much this is bugging me.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
BlameTheWizards said:
between Xbox One and Windows 8 PCs
Just think that point need to be highlighted, they are for crossplay as long as you buy Windows 8, it just another scheme so they can sell more Windows 8.

It's basically the same as the PS4 & Vita, Vita sales are crap so they are heavily developing crossplay for it with PS4 in hopes of selling Vita to everyone who buys a PS4.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
No Microsoft, PlayStation and Xbox cross-play makes sense, not console and PC. Of course we'll never get that though.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
The bit about Windows 8 was the only thing that stuck in my mind as well. I can understand that they'd want to push that p.o.s onto more people and taking every chance to do so, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I exchange my perfectly functional Windows 7 for that.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Arcade fighters differ in that aspect, in EVO you're allowed literally any input...fightsticks, fightpads, analog controllers, hitboxes, one guy even brought a freaking keyboard (he didn't get very far though :p).

But yeah, FPS games will become a complete mess if mouse+keyboard is allowed to mix with analog controllers. After the initial rush of pulling back-to-back headshots on console players while circle-strafing and bunny-hopping all over them them, I think it would just get boring :p

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Microsoft had previously tried such an experiment with the 2007 title Shadowrun, which allowed Xbox 360 and Windows Vista owners to play alongside each other. Spencer, who worked on the title, brought this up in the interview, saying "we didn't have tremendous success with that, but we learnt a lot from it."

That part amuses me. They have learnt a lesson of trying to force an unpopular OS on people and may be planning to rectify that by.. trying to force an unpopular OS on people? Oh Microsoft, you so silly.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I can already hear the squeals of "PC NOOB" and "Nerf the mouse" from the FPS squealers.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
That's a very, very nice idea indeed,

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
I definitely like the idea of cross-platform, but we haven't really seen a working example yet.
Portal 2 and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn say "Hi". Admittedly, both of those are PS-PS3, but I do feel they are both well-executed.

P.S. Thanks

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yuuki said:
After the initial rush of pulling back-to-back headshots on console players while circle-strafing and bunny-hopping all over them them, I think it would just get boring :p
That's exactly what happened in Shadowrun and in trials for TF2/Counter Strike, the 'PC' players with kb/m would go ahead and play the game, whilst the 'console' players on controllers would fight very bravely and die very quickly. Counter Strike was particularly lopsided (hilariously so).

Co-operative FPS could work, something like Borderlands seems made for cross platform play, not sure Left 4 Dead would be so good though.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
I can already hear the squeals of "PC NOOB" and "Nerf the mouse" from the FPS squealers.
I'd expect the opposite to happen, bots/macros set up to auto kick/ban any console players trying to join servers declared PC only by the admins. I'd expect a similar set of console only servers popping up shortly after. Squeakers rapidly get segregated out...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Xbox Live is the key, huh? So this guy expects that PC gamers will suddenly start paying for something they've had for free for fuckin' decades? And use Windows 8 to do it? In an age where companies like Valve are trying to make PC gaming even better, more open and more free than ever this fucker thinks that Xbox fuckin' Live and Windows 8 is what PC gamers want? How far removed from reality are these Microsoft idiots?

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
Covarr said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
I definitely like the idea of cross-platform, but we haven't really seen a working example yet.
Portal 2 and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn say "Hi". Admittedly, both of those are PS-PS3, but I do feel they are both well-executed.

P.S. Thanks
Indeed, and SE did this already over a decade ago with FFXI which featured cross-platform play across PC and PS2 (and later Xbox 360).

Ironically though FFXIV never saw a 360 release as this time around MS decided they wouldn't allow it to be cross-platform so SE simply didn't do a 360 version.

Once the next gen of consoles release we really need to see more cross-platform imo I know for some types of games it doesn't work too well (FPS being a prime example) but for other genres there's no reason to segregate playerbases as they are currently.