Aussies Give EA The Shonky 2013 For Unfair Play

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Aussies Give EA The Shonky 2013 For Unfair Play

Shonky = of dubious integrity or legality; unreliable or unsound. In case you were wondering.

We all know poor Australians [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7053-SimCity] who, just before launch, were wondering whether, just for once, they wouldn't get shafted. The shining light of hope in their eyes was quickly snuffed, and as a consequence, EA Games has won CHOICE Australia's Shonky Award 2013 for Unfair Play.

However it wasn't the gameplay on its own that earned EA the Shonky. No, it was the support helpline that pushed EA over the edge. When gamers tried to call tech support, they discovered that it was a paid call, at $2.48 per minute. "And this shonkosity is even worse," says CHOICE Australia, "when you consider it's their fault you're ringing in the first place!"

Of course, US gamers paid nothing to phone tech support, which created a loophole which some Australians exploited by using Skype to buzz the US helpline. But, as CHOICE points out, it's yet another example of the Australia tax the country pays on electronic hardware, software and downloads.

CHOICE is a consumer watchdog organization, that's been going since 1959. The Shonkys are its way of letting people know the current state of play; or in this case, unfair play. "This year we had a record 439 Shonky nominations from across Australia, which highlights the level of consumer concern about shonky products and services," says CHOICE's Alan Kirkland.

Source: CHOICE Australia [http://www.choice.com.au/media-and-news/consumer-news/news/2013-shonky-awards.aspx]

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Woo go us Aussies! Too bad we're far too small to make any kind of impact on a major American company.

Seriously though that phone call price? Ridiculous.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
You almost wonder though...

Who here thinks that eventually someone is going to bring charges against EA and ask for the revocation of their business license? Actually...I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm proud of my fellow Australians. If I knew these awards existed, EA certainly would have gotten my vote.

I've never been so content with a decision as I am with my decision to boycott all EA products until they learn to put the consumer first.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
.....Really EA? REALLY? Charging for tech support? For your own broken products?

The entire inside of EA headquarters must be filled with asbestos to keep the Execs from setting the furniture on fire anytime they sit down.

I too am on a EA boycott, the last EA thing I bought was the humble bundle and only then because EA would't get any money and it all went to charity. I've been clean for 1.5 years otherwise(god... that ME3 ending....).

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Congratulations to Electronics Arts on another memorable year. Stand by for a snappy comeback from their PR division, which will erase any remaining doubts about their company's qualification for the Shonky title.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Nice to EA has upped their game to not only be the worst company in America two years running, but they're trying to go worldwide with their awfulness. They have a long way to go if they want to compete with the likes of Foxconn though.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
So...australia taxes the shit out of every thing and gets a shity hand from just about every game company...and EA gets blamed. Just another reason to not take anything that the australians do seriously.
I'm pretty sure techsupport does not fall under AU's tax policy and the rest of the issues was with how terrible the game was and that was a world wide problem.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
australia generally ask for much more money for games and movies. many pay in other countries like 60$ for a game, we most likely pay over 20$ or more extra.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
GamemasterAnthony said:

Who here thinks that eventually someone is going to bring charges against EA and ask for the revocation of their business license? Actually...I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already...
Until they do something truly illegal, I doubt that is going to happen.

OT: Well, it looks like EA is desiring to continue adding to their trophy case. I wonder how long it will take before those trophies pile up to the point that it brings some real change over there (in all fairness, they did get rid of online passes shortly after the last award).

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
So...australia taxes the shit out of every thing and gets a shity hand from just about every game company...and EA gets blamed. Just another reason to not take anything that the australians do or say seriously.
Yes, because it's the people of the country who dictate the taxes, not the government. So tell me, why did your countrymen decide to go into debt? Was it some kinda mass agreement that the banks should be allowed to give money to everyone? Or did you guys just say, "Fuck it! :D"?

OT: Yet another award going to a company that does far FAR less damage than others. Seriously not everyone plays video games, which means the issue isn't one of great importance. There are far bigger companies doing far worse crap that effects a whole lot larger audience. Can we please stop bashing EA? Like, just for a second?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:

Oh lawd, this again. -____-

I shouldn't have to explain why this is hilariously misguided.

OT: $2.48 per MINUTE for TECH SUPPORT.

Who thought this was a good idea?! D:

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I wonder if EA has a large trophy case in their HQ full of these "Worst Company" awards.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
bug_of_war said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
So...australia taxes the shit out of every thing and gets a shity hand from just about every game company...and EA gets blamed. Just another reason to not take anything that the australians do or say seriously.
Yes, because it's the people of the country who dictate the taxes, not the government. So tell me, why did your countrymen decide to go into debt? Was it some kinda mass agreement that the banks should be allowed to give money to everyone? Or did you guys just say, "Fuck it! :D"?

OT: Yet another award going to a company that does far FAR less damage than others. Seriously not everyone plays video games, which means the issue isn't one of great importance. There are far bigger companies doing far worse crap that effects a whole lot larger audience. Can we please stop bashing EA? Like, just for a second?
Oh I feel your pain but don't bother man your wasting your breath people will blame EA for anything these days.