Jane Austen MMO Sensibly Seeks $100K On Kickstarter

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Jane Austen MMO Sensibly Seeks $100K On Kickstarter

[kickstarter=30564009/ever-jane-the-virtual-world-of-jane-austen]Ever, Jane is a Kickstarter-MMORPG where social skills and decorum are more important than spells and armor.

Jane Austen has quite the fandom these days, and I'm not talking about people who ironically enjoyed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89342-Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies>Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Her original romance stories, detailing the complex social lives of women in the 18th and 19th Centuries, are still widely enjoyed by academics and mainstream audiences alike. Many people simply adore Austen's world of balls, tea parties, and so-called respectable society. Perhaps that's the audience 3 Turn Productions hopes to attract with Ever, Jane, an MMO Kickstarter project that emphasizes manners, gossip, and social status above all else.

Unlike an MMORPG that defines avatars using physical stats, Ever, Jane adopts personality traits like Happiness or Duty to reflect characters from Austen's novels. Personality traits can then be raised or lowered by completing daily activities, such as attending social events, playing mini-games, or spreading gossip about your rivals. Players can even team-up to form Families, adding a shared Family Status score to each individual member. Note that Family Status can also be raised or lowered based on personal behavior, encouraging players to be cautious of siblings who tarnish the family name.

What really stands our to me, however, is Ever, Jane's hierarchical subscription model. The finished game will offer multiple subscription tiers to users, with each tier placing players in a different strata of English society. Free-to-play characters start out as statusless peasants who must find work, legitimate or otherwise, before starving to death. Tiers increase gradually across merchants, farmers, gentry, estate-holders, up to a $50 subscription that gives characters an entire town. Presumably these high-paying players will have immeasurable status at their disposal, only to find themselves a bigger target for any gossiping rivals.

<a href=https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/254/979/9c39a8673677455f14b469bdccfcd4d7_large.png?1383084417>An alpha version of Ever, Jane provides an introduction to gossip and invitational systems, but if funded, the finished game will offer much more. Character customization, modular housing within each village, and pastimes like hunting or fishing are being covered by a $100,000 goal, nearly $30,000 of which has already been raised. Stretch goals even include player-run economies like farming, gardening, and animal husbandry to expand the role of players in supporting their villages. Whether the feature is added or not, with 25 days left on the clock, Ever, Jane has a pretty strong chance of becoming the next Regency Era MMO.

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/30564009/ever-jane-the-virtual-world-of-jane-austen>Kickstarter, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-jane-austen-mmo-ever-jane-seeks-USD100k-on-kickstarter>Eurogamer

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
If established MMOs like WoW & co can barely provide people with functional player housing, this game is going to need a lot more than $100 000 to create an engine where anyone who drops a fifty spawns with their own village.

I must say though, the potential for griefing in a Jane Austen game sounds hilarious. "Dude, don't go through Middlesex. There's some guy there dropping reputations by claiming he's slept with everyone's mum."

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
If established MMOs like WoW & co can barely provide people with functional player housing, this game is going to need a lot more than $100 000 to create an engine where anyone who drops a fifty spawns with their own village.

I must say though, the potential for griefing in a Jane Austen game sounds hilarious. "Dude, don't go through Middlesex. There's some guy there dropping reputations by claiming he's slept with everyone's mum."
You could role play as a soldier who sleeps with people's 14 year old sisters, or a grumpy, awkward git!

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
And may I say, dear boy, that your avatar reflects the subject matter perfetly. Quite spiffing, really.

Also intrigued. It sounds different, and that is a good different. It also sounds like a roleplayer's wet-dream. Dear lord, I must be hungering for a original content if the idea of being a silly, spoiled brat from an influential family sounds like a good time.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The actual game sounds like a specially designed hell for me (nothing wrong with liking it, just not my taste) but I could see some fun in being a starving peasant, just to see how many gentile tea parties I could disrupt before I get sent to the gallows :-D

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
As long as the change of theme comes with a change of gameplay, this could be cool.

Swear to god, if I end up walking into a 'House Party' instance and jamming buttons on my quickbar to gossip and offer a toast and so on, I'm quitting immediately.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must support a kickstarter.

This looks very intriguing and it seems like an admirable plan. I might like to keep my eye on this, even if it's only for the massive griefing potential. :D

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
JoJo said:
The actual game sounds like a specially designed hell for me (nothing wrong with liking it, just not my taste) but I could see some fun in being a starving peasant, just to see how many gentile tea parties I could disrupt before I get sent to the gallows :-D
Most likley you would be sent to Australia. A fate worse than death, most would agree.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
the system as it is on paper sounds more horrifying than any other PvP game I've ever heard about

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
I'll play it if there's an amusing metagame in being deliberately scandalous and disreputable.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
JoJo said:
I'd be worried about the Something Awful Forums ( AKA Goons ) signing up for this as they did for say, Second Life, and proceeding to crash every single party with several dozen burly naked peasants.

Hope they do take into account that not every player's going to be there to immerse themselves in Austen's world and some are out there just to ruin someone else's day.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Oh. Man. I'm pretty sure there are going to be two incredibly dedicated fanbases for this game: Jane Austen fangirls, and people who heard that woman talk about her "extravagant balls". Starfleet Dental, we salute you for the glorious mission you are about to undertake.

Also, holy shit was that video hilarious. I must play this terrible video game.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Well, interesting idea but it will miss to me what I like about Austen. A bitting sarcasm for her society and friedns. Pride and Prejudice just shits all over the values of the age and present those that uphold them in a terrible light. And that isn't here. Sorry but next.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Not gonna lie, the idea of a hardcore social sim mmo..does appeal to me.

Paying more for a higher tier of gameplay should put me off, but somehow this is one game where players bitching about those who paid less then them and viewing them as scum for it is actually kinda appropriate.

I'm officially intrigued, hope this works out as would love to see the end result for the inevitable drama :p