Psychiatrist Says Handhelds Make Us Lonely

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Psychiatrist Says Handhelds Make Us Lonely

A Japanese psychiatrist has written an essay that claims that while modern portable devices like the iPod and handheld game platforms might offer endless digital connections, they starve us for real human contact.

The reason Nintendo originally released Pokemon as two separate games back in the day - aside from the desire to get more money - was to foster social interaction. People would have to go out and find fellow gamers with the other version of the game in order to Catch 'Em All. That philosophy seems to have persisted through the evolution of Nintendo's handheld devices, with games like Nintendogs and even things like the DS PictoChat functionality.

But what if it's backfiring? What if all of these fancy devices that let us plug in 24/7 are just making us more isolated and lonely? That's the conclusion that Japanese psychiatrist Rika Kayama drew in an essay published in the Mainichi Daily News [http://mdn.mainichi.jp/perspectives/news/20090711p2a00m0na023000c.html] - so many of her patients came to her complaining that they felt withdrawn from the world, and she had been trying to figure out the cause.

An excerpt, via TinyCartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/158735904/the-handheld-heart-is-a-lonely-hunter#disqus_thread]:

[blockquote]"Today's youth immerse themselves in worlds of their own right before our eyes, where they can live secluded from the rest of us. Feeding into these one person worlds, personal devices such as mobile phones and handheld game systems like the Sony PSP and Nintendo DS come on to the market one after another.

The 'make your own world anywhere' idea has gone too far, to the point that even on the train one sees people shamelessly putting on makeup or eating cups of instant noodles as though the train carriage was their own room. ...

I feel that an increasing number of people are coming to my office saying, 'Even when I'm in a crowd I'm lonely.' Even when they are at a popular singer's concert or when reading a best-selling novel, these patients can't feel any solidarity for those next to them or those reading the same book."[/blockquote]

On the one hand, I do see what she's getting at. Someone who just sits down and plays their PSP on the subway while listening to music on their iPod is effectively cut off from the rest of the world in their own little bubble, and it's easy to see how those feelings persist and continue. On the other hand, who makes random small talk with strangers on the subway, anyway?

(Via What They Play [http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2009/08/11/handheld-games-are-making-people-lonely-says-psych/])

Flushfacker

Mar 17, 2009
I think there is a lot of truth to this but yea, try talking to someone on the the London Underground (or any London public transport) and you will be either looked at like youre mad and ignored or will be having a conversation with a madman.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
That is not true with me. I can play on my PSP while discussing matters with someone else. I only listen to my iPod when I have nobody to talk to at the moment. And I don't make small talk to strangers at the bus or subway, that's just weird, from both angles.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I do find it weird that people are now reaching a state where they find it hard to communicate without technology. I can spend hours on MSN talking to friends, but meet them in public and they cant think of a word to say to you, perhaps theyre just sad, who knows

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Surely if they felt lonely because of the games, they'd stop playing them.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
Exactly, Flashfacker. That's just how the English are. I offered to give up my seat to an old lady once and she glared at me like I had AIDS or something. When I listen to music on the train all I miss is a very awkward silence.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Two things:

1. They're absolutely right. These days, it seems people would rather be in their own little world, and all those gadgets make it pretty easy to cut off the world.

2. However, the atmosphere in many public places (especially on public transportation) is rarely conducive for actual human contact, even without those gadgets. So the actual options are either sitting in silence or bringing some form of entertainment.

Basically, it's a shame that these devices are necessary to pass the time, but you can't really fight human nature. The idealist in me wishes everyone could get along and make public places more of a community. But the realist in me knows that will never happen. So, while these studies are interesting, they're ultimately pointless because they don't change a thing.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
The only way people will actually want to talk to people on public transportation place like the bus or trains is if those that travel are actually nice because over half the people i see on them are crazies who will snap on the slightest twitch or just plain dicks to everyone they meet and that is why i have my music or handheld gaming devices when i'm on ze bus

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, considering the fact that strangers don't generally talk to one another (sa most people have already pointed out here), being in your own 'bubble' when your on your own is perfectly reasonable if you ask me.

On top of this, when your with other people, generally speaking you don't use such portable gaming devices - you use things that are easier to enjoy in groups, like, say, I dunno, a film at a cinema or just pure and simple converastion.

If people are feeling lonely, its not because their using portable devices, its because their not hanging out with people they know.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Jaranja said:
Surely if they felt lonely because of the games, they'd stop playing them.
I think the problem would lie in people not getting why they're feeling lonely when they do. A lot of people are asking themselves why they're not meeting people, when all they simply need to do is go out and meet them.

Simalacrum said:
On top of this, when your with other people, generally speaking you don't use such portable gaming devices - you use things that are easier to enjoy in groups, like, say, I dunno, a film at a cinema or just pure and simple converastion.
Not everyone is that smart. I have a bunch of friends that keep checking their phones and send text messages halfway through conversations. A few of them also start playing games on those things at times like that.
I think the portable devices to play into a bit, but they're not the main thing to blame.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Flushfacker said:
I think there is a lot of truth to this but yea, try talking to someone on the the London Underground (or any London public transport) and you will be either looked at like youre mad and ignored or will be having a conversation with a madman.
Or mugged.
Or stabbed.

I rarely go to London, yet I know that even unintentional eye-contact is enough to make people feel uncomfortable or even hostile.

Yet its the same where I live, Cheslyn Hay, a tiny village near Birmingham. Even on the bus you rarely talk to people you dont know because you know they wont reciprocate. We should make an annual hello day, where everybody is encouraged to say "Hi" to their fellow commuters for ONE MORNING.Im sure the world will be a better place because of it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
The idealist in me wishes everyone could get along and make public places more of a community...
I like to think things ideally, but I wouldn't want that...

I hate when someone tries to strike up small talk with me...why? Cause 2/3 of the time, its to talk about a subject that doesn't even interest you...

Besides, by the time I'm making my short commute back home, I have just spent 7-8 hours straight at my University with my head in books...same goes for whoever else has a job and is mentally drained...

Seriously...NO STRIKING UP CONVERSATIONS...(or bringing loud children...ugh what a double standard!! no loud stereos on a train, but a kid can wail and talk loudly as he pleases!!)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
"The 'make your own world anywhere' idea has gone too far, to the point that even on the train one sees people shamelessly putting on makeup or eating cups of instant noodles as though the train carriage was their own room. ..."

People have ALWAYS done that it doesn't mean they play too much DS or WoW it just means they're either: A. Hungry/In a hurry B. don't care about other people.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a point, but it's getting fasionable in Political/Sociological circles to blame things on Video games. When I read a book am I supposed to feel like a part of a big book reading family?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
While there is a grain of truth in this, some portable games (like Pokemon) have functions that allow wireless multiplayer, so you can be social over the game. Remember people: if you see a dude/lady playing Pokemon Pearl on the subway, challenge that person to a Pokebattle. That's by far the best gamer way of breaking the ice, right?

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
hansari said:
Avaholic03 said:
The idealist in me wishes everyone could get along and make public places more of a community...
I like to think things ideally, but I wouldn't want that...

I hate when someone tries to strike up small talk with me...why? Cause 2/3 of the time, its to talk about a subject that doesn't even interest you...

Besides, by the time I'm making my short commute back home, I have just spent 7-8 hours straight at my University with my head in books...same goes for whoever else has a job and is mentally drained...

Seriously...NO STRIKING UP CONVERSATIONS...(or bringing loud children...ugh what a double standard!! no loud stereos on a train, but a kid can wail and talk loudly as he pleases!!)
Then you're part of the problem. What's wrong with just talking about the weather or something unimportant with a random person? Basically, just being friendly. Do you think you're above that, or do you just hate your fellow man so much that you can't make a little concession and go along with a "dumb" conversation?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Then you're part of the problem. What's wrong with just talking about the weather or something unimportant with a random person? Basically, just being friendly. Do you think you're above that, or do you just hate your fellow man so much that you can't make a little concession and go along with a "dumb" conversation?
Wow...you presume a lot for someone who is so "open-minded".

Lengthy dialog is initiated for two main reasons.

1) To strike up a conversation, building on general interests, and then establishing some form of friendship. (like at a party or school)

2) To strike up a conversation to kill time (like at a line)

Guess which of those two reasons is behind 90% of all conversations that occur on public transportation?

And you presume a lot when you assume I'm naturally "bitter" and consider other peoples topic selections "dumb". I said its typically stuff that doesn't "interest" me. And I'm sure I am not the only one who has had to bear with having a conversation with someone that is mostly one-sided...

I'm also not talking about nice plane rides or school field trips here, I'm talking about commutes in a train during rush hour! I say again, I'm tired after 8 hours of school. 8 hours I spend not just sitting on my ass taking notes but scanning through books in the libraries and study groups. I'm not "bitter", I'm just not in the mood because I am drained. Has that never happened to you?

And not being in the mood doesn't just describe me, but generally the people around me as well. Rush hour means people coming home from work, which means sticking to very light conversation if any.

~~~
Heres an example.

Your sitting in a train headed for school. You decide to spend this opportunity looking over formulas in your book. You studied yesterday, but you wanna take advantage of this time before the exam.

Then some old guy sits next to you. You have one goal in mind, but he insists on continuing a dialog on "what your College is like" and "the sort of subjects your taking". You choose to not be rude, but hope he gets the message that your a bit busy.

But it continues...nevermind that your answers are unusually concise. Nevermind that your body language and the fact that you still keep scanning the book on your lap isn't taken as a hint to stop. Sometimes these things are enough, but it never crosses his mind. Why? Because your goal (to refresh before an exam) isn't the same as his...

2) To strike up a conversation to kill time. (like on a train)
~~~

SOOOO...yeah...sorry for being apart of the "problem". My example doesn't exemplify every person who has tried to initiate a conversation, but my statement for NO CONVERSATIONS stems from the fact that a lot of people just can't tell when to quit...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
you know, i think they may be wrong

i mean, poke'mon was the thing that made me stop being in my own world to find people to talk to, so i could trade poke'mon with them. i then chucked the poke'mon out the window (no kidding, i went and got it back later though, remember, i was about 5)

aside from that, i once had a nice 2 hour conversation about bands with a random couple on a train, and a walk back, as i found they lived closeby :p