The World's Most Dangerous Wii Remote Chargers Are Recalled

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The World's Most Dangerous Wii Remote Chargers Are Recalled

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall on Griffin International's 4-Dock Recharge Station for the Wii, saying the device presents a burn and fire hazard.

Sold under the Amazon.com [http://www.psyclonegamer.com/], from January 2009 through July 2009.

Unfortunately, these babies don't just charge, they get hot. Damn hot. There have so far been six instances of overheating reported to the company and two incidents of the units causing minor burns to the hand.

The CPSC says anyone who has been injured by these Chinese-made supercharged death machines should inform them of the incident via the Consumer Product Incident Report [https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx]. If you own one of the defective devices, meanwhile, you are advised to stop using it immediately and contact Griffin International at (888) 344-4702 to arrange for a free replacement, presumably with a battery charger that won't try to kill you.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2009/08/12/burn-hazard-prompts-consumer-product-safety-recall-wii-chargers]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
oh i find this great

its a super rechargeable death machine!

edit: recharging, i meant recharging :p

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Reminds me of one of those chargers I had for my Gameboy Advance.
I almost burned my fingers while playing on the GBA cause of that thing. I think at some point you could see my fingers imprinted on them.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That's the just punishment for buying a Wii - the gods of gaming become infuriated by your choice and attempt to bestow pain and death upon you by providing hardware such as this. xD

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Wow, this is a slanderous violation rule 42a in the Peripheral Charging Device Manufacturer's Manual.

42a: Before distributing a charging dock, MAKE SURE IT CAN'T KILL PEOPLE!

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
Well hell, that's called a feature!
See, it can make eggs, toast, ramen, bacon, and even roast your house!

creatiwe

Aug 11, 2009
and so the nintendo takeover and merging with google to be called skynet is halted

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
why am i just hearing about this now! it could have saved me so many problems "hey paper delivery guy who keeps ringing my doorbell at 6 in the morning, wanna play some wii, just grab a controller MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
So Nintendos Evil plan is coming to Fruition!

Get the world hooked on the Wii... and BURN THEM!

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
Well, I think it's a peripheral that perfectly suits the Wii. It always seems like the Wiimote is either trying to kill me or my TV!

Eatspeeple

Jun 18, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
and stupid people strike again...if the shit gets hot dont TOUCH the hot thing.
The thing is, you won't know its hot until you touch it... You would think that before they sold them they would have tested them