Bravely Default Producer Wants to Make Bravely an Annual Series

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Bravely Default Producer Wants to Make Bravely an Annual Series

Tomoya Asano has big plans for a franchise that will grow out of Bravely Default.

Keep an eye on Bravely Default, folks, because it seems the upcoming RPG may be the start of something a new RPG franchise... Or at least, that's what Bravely Second producer Tomoya Asano thinks. Given the opportunity, Asano would likely to turn the "Bravely" series into an annual franchise.

According to Dengeki [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/23/bravely-second-producer-aims-release-new-bravely-game-year/]: "Personally, I'm aiming to release a game for the Bravely series at least once a year. So, we'd like to release Bravely Second for sometime in 2014."

So far the series seems to building the momentum to support the franchise. Bravely Default has already generated enough interest worldwide to warrant a sequel. Bravely Second will have apparently have features that pull data from players' Bravely Default save data, so North American players should be prepared to hoard those save files when the game comes out.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy will come to North America on 3DS February 7. The Bravely Second team is shooting to have the game out in Japan in 2014.

Sources: Siliconera [http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/772/772679/index-4.html]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
God, the first reaction to a game having a modicum of success anymore is to milk the hell out of it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Kind of seems... unnecessary? Haven't finished the first game yet but it seems to be built around finding the job asterisks and the such so making you repeat that over and over on a yearly basis isn't too appealing.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Squenix... you HAVE other game properties, you know, besides Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and a new milking machine named Bravely Default.

Front Mission, The Bouncer, SaGa series, Mana series, Bushido Blade, Tobal, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Bahamut Lagoon, Parasite Eve, Chrono series...

... I miss the old you.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
They really should release the first game before deciding that a third one is viable. Or s that not how the world works anymore?
SecondPrize said:
Are there enough nonsensical word combinations to name one of these games every year?
Bravely Again, Bravely Next, Bravely Dual(the 3DS spinoff), Bravely Touch(the Vita Spinoff),
Bravely Victorious...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Why make it a franchise? Why does it NEED to be a franchise? I mean if it becomes the next Final Fantasy, sure(assuming it can avoid whatever the fuck XIII turned into) but why? You made a game that got good reviews and was received well, move onto something else. Everything does NOT need to be a franchise dammit.

Hey Square, why not work on bringing Dragon Quest 10 over you bastards? I'm chomping at the bit for that game, I WILL BUY A WII U FOR THAT GAME!

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
so they're working on a second game already and wanting a possible third and everyone here is having a massive fit over it?.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
kailus13 said:
They really should release the first game before deciding that a third one is viable. Or s that not how the world works anymore?
SecondPrize said:
Are there enough nonsensical word combinations to name one of these games every year?
Bravely Again, Bravely Next, Bravely Dual(the 3DS spinoff), Bravely Touch(the Vita Spinoff),
Bravely Victorious...
Don't forget 'Bravely Grinding' the MMO and 'Bravely Tapping' exclusive to mobile devices.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Good lord, would you look at this madness?

The entire goddamn internet gaming community has lost it's collective shit. What in the world is wrong with you people? "Franchise" games have existed since the beginning of the INDUSTRY, because... and here's the shitdiggler of it all... YOU PEOPLE ASKED FOR THEM!

You! YES YOU!

YOU wanted this... games that didn't end, games that did the same thing over... and over... and over again. Why? Because you LOVE those games. Because you loved having something fun and interesting to do, and didn't want to go back to the mundanity that is 'Playing Outside With Friends'.

So the industry changed to suit YOU. It went from making new and original games 'when it could' to shoveling shit out as fast as it could possibly manage to keep up with your demand. You wanted MORE MORE MORE MORE and you wanted it NOW. But now you've all got it. You've got it, and you've had it, and you've played it all through ten times over and you still want MORE.

But NO! Now, after decades of degrading gaming and showing publishers that what you WANTED were shiny new graphics and yearly re-enactments of the same game you played already, ALL of you act as if something has gone horribly awry for absolutely NO REASON AT ALL!

EVERYONE does it! It's become fashionable to hate franchises, sequels, and reboots because... the hell if I can figure out why! Someone, I guess, must've decided they were too cool to play a game with a '15' tacked onto the end of the title. That you ever let said titles get up to Sequel 15 in the first place notwithstanding, the idea that now... ONLY NOW... do you all come out of the woodwork to decry the 'shameless milking' of beloved games is, at best, a display of a shared denial within the community.

"Who did this?" Gamers across the internet ask aloud, to whoever will listen. "Who told you this was a good idea, Industry of Video Games? Why are you ruining yourself? Why are you destroying the games I loved, and whoring out their bastard children for mass consumption?"

And the CEOs and Designers look down on you, my fellow forum-goers, and shake their collective heads. Then they look to each other and say "We just can't fucking win, can we? These people obviously have no IDEA what they want. Let's just do whatever makes us a crapload of money. People talk with money nowadays, anyway, don't they?"

To which the other corporate schlubs all replied by hurling big bags of money at each other.

And bureaucracy and unfettered capitalism once again triumphed over common sense... because common sense has apparently been dropped out of the human gene pool in favor of bitterness, cynicism, and wrath.

The End.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If they do end up making a franchise out of this game, it won't suprise me if they end up doing a crossover game with Final Fantasy.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Settle down Asano, while the first game is great, you haven't even proved you can do one good sequel to it yet.

Let alone a new one every year. You're not even bringing out the first sequel within a year.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
PhantomEcho said:
SNIP TO END ALL SNIPS
You realize that their are a lot of people in the "Gaming community", right? And that some of them have different opinions than others? We're not a hivemind. We're not even an actual community. Stop acting like we are just so you can feel superior.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I know nothing about this game except its name and that it's an RPG, and its name doesn't do anything to make me want to look into it specifically. Is this just self awareness on behalf of a dev, or...?

dreadedcandiru99 said:
So, Bravely Milking This Franchise: For All It's Worth, then.
They're saving that title for the fourth or fifth game.

kailus13 said:
It's not how gaming has worked for ages. I'm surprised they waited for the first game to sell in Japan before they announced these plans.

PhantomEcho said:
YOU PEOPLE ASKED FOR THEM!
We asked for multiple sequels to a game that hasn't even been released in our regions yet?

Hmmm. I don't remember making any such request. I'll just check my outbox, and...Nope.

[REDACTED said:
]

You realize that their are a lot of people in the "Gaming community", right?
I thought I was the only one! I felt so alone!

But seriously, and I think more to the point:

Even if we were a hivemind, there is a wide patch of middle ground between "no sequels" and "EVERYTHING MUST BE A FRANCHISE!" And the latter, that extreme that is getting more and more common, is why people are balking at this. Because that's what the immediate announcement of plans for annual sequels smacks of.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
[REDACTED said:
]
PhantomEcho said:
SNIP TO END ALL SNIPS
You realize that their are a lot of people in the "Gaming community", right? And that some of them have different opinions than others? We're not a hivemind. We're not even an actual community. Stop acting like we are just so you can feel superior.

Oh, don't worry. I realize that.

The truth of the matter is, just about everyone these days is a 'gamer'. Trying to address everyone individually would be almost as insane as anyone here on this forum actually believing that expressing their opinion to a bunch of other 'gamers' in their little 'not even an actual community' would be good for anything other than catharsis.

So no, don't mistake my exasperated sigh of disgust with the abstract mentality of a collective of people all throwing up their arms and acting ignorant of the self-inflicted gunshot wound that is the quality of modern gaming. It's not specifically YOU.

It's the conspicuous absence of anyone claiming to actually be in support of a sequel or franchise which pushes my buttons.

And so, without a proper target upon which to paint my bullseye, I've instead thrown the paint on all of you... some of whom must, by virtue of mathematics, ACTUALLY be buying the very games which you're currently complaining about... and chosen not to worry in the least whether or not it lands on an innocent bystander or an actual offender.

After all, that's the same thing everyone here is doing in response to this news article. Choosing someone who made an arguably enjoyable game and pre-emptively attacking them for the potential lack of qualities of its sequels based not on the flaws of the original or it's authors... but by the mistakes made by other companies.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
PhantomEcho said:
SNIP TO END ALL SNIPS 2: Electric Boogaloo
In that case I agree with you. Somewhat. It's pretty damn silly to prejudge a series just for being a series. Personally, I actually really like it when something I like gets the franchise treatment. When I discover something I enjoy, few things make me happier than getting more of that thing. (Within reason of course. Once the quality starts noticeably declining, it's time for a mercy kill.) But I still think it's a bit weird to act like the people who are deriding over-sequelization are necessarily the same people who were crying for it a few years back, or the same people who are buying the games now. Negativity is always over-represented in gaming forums, and I don't think it reflects the prevailing attitudes of the people who buy the games.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for responding so civilly to my frustrated yapping. I think the whole Game of the Year shenanigans have been poisoning my mood.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
It's not a bad idea because the idea of a series is inherently not bad, the idea of chucking anything, ANYTHING that takes a while to achieve something fantastic out like it is bubblegum is BAD, everything that has tried to become faster and faster upon release ends up being eaten up by, and I don't mean to be mean, the pigs who devour anything put in front of them, while the people who actually want something nurtured and loved have to watch the next and the next and the next till it becomes purely devoted to the pigs who only ever wanted one thing from it, as I seen it COD got great multiplayer because COD players on the most part wanted multiplayer, and so it got the largest cut of the budget, sometimes the singleplayer is interesting, but most of the time it isn't, and the multiplayer is riddled with stupid shit that helps people WHO PLAY IT MORE, a system that is pretty damn close to psychological entrapment as far as I can tell, what the fuck would Enix do to keep people hooked on one while they fix up the next batch? They've done some pretty ridiculous shit before without much reason to do so, would you dare give them one?

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
[REDACTED said:
]-Greatest Use of Snipping Ever-

You, Sir-and-or-Madame officially win the 'My Favorite Person on the Forum" award for today.

Not just because you at least somewhat understood my comment, but because after a bit of thought you actually did what I wish others would do: ADMIT THAT NOT ALL SEQUELS ARE AWFUL DEMON-SPAWNED THINGS. No. That would have been good enough. You, [REDACTED], made my second snipped "Rant at the Wind" on sequels... into its own sequel, complete with number AND sub-title. The irony and humor was was not at all lost on me.

Sometimes, you just gotta let out a little steam. Me, I try to do so in a way which both conveys my frustration and annoyance with a pinch of comedy and absurdism. The results may vary, but this has been one of my favorites so far. It -is- a bit crazy to simply assume that the same people who grumble and complain about sequels are the same people who turn around and go buy them.

That's why I did it. Because hurling a stream of cynicism, ire, and resentment at people who may or may not deserve it with no discernible evidence to suggest they've done anything to deserve it is crazy too...

Back on topic though, I love a good sequel. Even if the overall quality of the game degrades over time, I'm big enough to admit that sometimes I just like an excuse to play more of the same. But when the quality sinks too far, I speak with my money.

Not angry words on a forum.

Scratch that. I guess I do both.

Carry on.