Bravely Default Producer Wants to Make Bravely an Annual Series

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
I have no problem with another game in the series. But so soon and with the idea of 'annually'? No, please no.

See I used to like series based games. Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, and other such games. They tended to play different enough and come out with a decent amount of time between the titles that it felt like a brand new game, with a little added familiarity. Kinda like pizza, but you add in new toppings or from a different place. It's still pizza but different spin.

Now it just seems to be squeezing out as much cash as fast as possible with little regard to the long run. We may have asked for this yes, but there's a reason certain games still work(FF, Pokemon). We don't need yearly updates/new shiny versions.

Good example is Assassin's Creed. Used to like it, pretty good game series I thought. Then Brotherhood and Revelations come out, followed by 3 and 4 shortly after. The games just flowed together in this mess of blandness to me. Felt like I had just played the same game several times over. They didn't feel like new games just basically the same game, with 60 bucks each time.

So yeah up for the idea of series if handled right. But series are a decent way of putting an IP into the ground.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Bah another reason for me to get a 3DS... for the love of all that is good in this world I don't want to spend more money, well spending isn't really the problem but lack of said funds at the end of the month, that's how they get you...

No really looks like a fun little series, from the interview it looks like he's making a world that will be the background for multiple games. I actually really like this, world building, and with it a consistent framework really helps me become immersed in a game. Some games, like Final Fantasy, don't really use a consistent world and this honestly bugs me, so kudos for that.

Ah I see a lot of people are angry because the producer is planning yearly games... I can't see how that's a quality of a game that will effect my enjoyment. I don't remember playing any game and thinking "wow this was an awful game, everything about it was great but they have another game coming out so my enjoyment now gone". Don't get me wrong, I hate bad storytelling, cliff hangers, and cut content, but those are not qualities exclusive to multi-game series.

I'll take a wait and see approach, I'm not so jaded that I'll judge a game because of planned sequels, but I'll judge the shit out of it if it's a bad game.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Its not a bad game, i'm playing it on and off right now but please, for fucks sake if they make a sequel, get rid of all the streetpass shit. I'm a 42 year old man, i refuse to lug my 3DS around to places where kids are playing and look like some kind of freak just to rack up streetpass hits so i can rebuild my village before the next Ice Age!