Rust Servers Under Siege by Network Attacks

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Rust Servers Under Siege by Network Attacks

The developers of survival sim Rust are having survival issues of their own, thanks to an aggressive attack on the game's servers.

Facepunch Studios' Rust is an open-world sandbox that blends the emergent multiplayer gameplay of DayZ with Minecraft's low-tech crafting and exploration, wrapped up in a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-flavored shell. I apologize if that description made you interested, because right now the game can't really be played. Rust is an online-only title, and no servers have been available for the past couple of days as a result of an aggressive DDOS attack.

DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attacks basically overload servers with more requests than it can process, crashing whatever that server was supposed to be doing. It appears that whoever is attacking Rust is taking a more tactical approach, though. "So after some investigating it appears that the servers are receiving DDOS attacks," Facepunch reports. "Not the usual ... DDOS attack. It kind of seems like someone is periodically grabbing the server list and attacking any occupied server with a bunch of empty packets."

That strategy removes any doubt - somebody is trying hard to shut down Rust players. Rust hasn't even made a full release - it's currently in alpha, available via Steam Early Access [http://store.steampowered.com/app/252490/], and somebody's already targeting it. The developers have been working over the holiday weekend to implement countermeasures, and the servers have slowly begun to stabilize. Attacks are still popping up, though, so be warned if you decided to venture online. Facepunch apologizes for the difficulties, and hopes to have a long-term solution ready soon.

Source: Rust [http://playrust.com/ulink-ddos-attacks/]

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
So. Anyone wanna help me assemble a list of suspects?

Just to throw a few out there, Fans of Day Z, Fans of Infestation: Survival Stories (Formerly The War Z), Devs of Infestation: Survival Stories.

It just seems like fans of Genres like this, or ARTS/MOBAs have this uneasy hatred of one another. Though I don't know how this would benefit the fans, since they tend to hate everyone else including each other inside their fan base.

Granted I can understand their hatred, you could be gunned down by other players in Day Z, and in ARTS/MOBAs you could be brought down by one person playing badly, but still this kind of crosses the hatred line.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Cecilo said:

Just to throw a few out there, Fans of Day Z, Fans of Infestation: Survival Stories (Formerly The War Z), Devs of Infestation: Survival Stories.

It just seems like fans of Genres like this, or ARTS/MOBAs have this uneasy hatred of one another. Though I don't know how this would benefit the fans, since they tend to hate everyone else including each other inside their fan base.

Granted I can understand their hatred, you could be gunned down by other players in Day Z, and in ARTS/MOBAs you could be brought down by one person playing badly, but still this kind of crosses the hatred line.
Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a bit for new info to emerge before generalizing and vilifying people? Yeesh.

OT: I am so sick of hearing about these kinds of attacks. The people/person doing it always has some kind of convoluted reason for it, but I've yet to see any form of DDoSing that was actually, provably justified.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe this game is bigger than I thought so this isn't really a gift but...

This seems like it might be the best thing to happen to them. I had never heard of this game until now. That description you gave...I wants it. I wants it now...

I suppose I can't get it right now but this news story and the description of the game has piqued my interest. Without this attack, there's a good chance I'd never have heard of it.

Eddie451

Minor Jr. Pvt. -1st Class
Apr 4, 2010
This is just an ARG for the game. In-game you get ganged up on and destroyed by being outnumbered, now the devs are under attack by a massive amount of connections. It's all marketing, I'm telling you!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Cecilo said:

I can't see this being fan based as it's too deliberate and technical to be some attempt at fan rage or mob attacks on a game people fear will detract from their own favorite.

My immediate guess is that this is business related, and quite personal, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Devs actually know, or have a strong suspicion, of who is behind it and why.

Something like Anonymous could see this done of course, but they would typically make a public statement, and honestly in recent years this seems to be a little too petty for them, especially since the game is still in alpha

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow. I am really angry about this and I don't even play the game. I mean, this could cripple the company making the game, to say nothing of the people who payed for it (if I recall right, you have to pay to get access to the alpha, but I could be wrong). I mean, talk about dick moves.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
What kind of feeble losers spend their time doing this? They must be the saddest, angriest people on earth.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Wow. I am really angry about this and I don't even play the game. I mean, this could cripple the company making the game, to say nothing of the people who payed for it (if I recall right, you have to pay to get access to the alpha, but I could be wrong). I mean, talk about dick moves.
My sentiments exactly. It's funny how much elements of the gaming community spend time on and take pleasure in stopping others playing games.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Nobody claiming responsibility? Hmmmm... Need more info before we can point fingers.

All this amounts to is a big middle finger from a group of people who haven't revealed their motivations. The countermeasures will go up at the cost of development time and availability to players but it won't stop the game nor will it destroy the playerbase. Most of the people interested in the game and who have bought it/attempted to play it since the beginning of this will understand that its not Facepunch's fault. This is just a big FU to Rust from some people who clearly care too much about what gets released.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Cognimancer said:
DDOS (Directed Denial Of Service)
Not quite. DDoS is Distributed Denial of Service. A denial of service attack using multiple attackers (eg a botnet) to distribute the load of connections so that you can generate a lot more traffic than you could with just one attacking computer.

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Caffiene said:
Cognimancer said:
DDOS (Directed Denial Of Service)
Not quite. DDoS is Distributed Denial of Service. A denial of service attack using multiple attackers (eg a botnet) to distribute the load of connections so that you can generate a lot more traffic than you could with just one attacking computer.
Ah, right you are. Don't know what I was thinking, but the article's been updated. Thanks for the catch!

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Cognimancer said:
Ah, right you are. Don't know what I was thinking, but the article's been updated. Thanks for the catch!
Now I kind of want to see what an undirected attack would look like.

"Attaaaaaack!" *charges off in a random direction*

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Ehhh they wont be ruined.

Facepunch might sound familiar as the same guys who made and sell Garrys Mod.

Aka one of the top sellers on steam.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
At this point, you'd think that server farms would have DDOS-countermeasures built-in right out of the gate. It's not like they're uncommon.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Caffiene said:
Cognimancer said:
Now I kind of want to see what an undirected attack would look like.

"Attaaaaaack!" *charges off in a random direction*
Preferably while shouting "LEROY JENKINS!" at max volume. :p

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is an issue for any game that is exclusively online. It's pain in the ass. They should allow people to run their own servers right off the bat rather than only have official servers. This will go away in time. Soon this game will fall to the backdrop of the million games just like it coming out.

Edit: "All you see is floppy weiners everywhere!"