Rust Servers Under Siege by Network Attacks

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, I'm sort of puzzled as to why anyone would do this. Unless it's ripping off Day Z, which is a possibility, and these are fans trying to sabotage it. And I would get that, Day Z players are pretty protective since the War Z, which was an utter crap cash-in that rode completely on the back of Day Z with hardly any effort and was a vehicle for in-game purchases. But if it's not like Day Z that much...it's a small niche at the moment. It'd be a pity if there was only one good zombie survival game of that kind.

EDIT: Actually yeah, could be War Z devs. They seem like the kind of bitter fuckwits who would take it out on another game.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Pyrian said:
At this point, you'd think that server farms would have DDOS-countermeasures built-in right out of the gate. It's not like they're uncommon.
And whats the difference between a botnet PC and a normal user? Very little, there's a reason why DDoS attacks are still pretty viable and this one appears to be more subtle (for an attack) than most.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Wait why all of a sudden are we already pointing fingers and naming fans that possibly attacked when we have no concrete proof, I thought we were better than this.

If anything it's going to be a group if not a few people, not a bloody fandom or a group that stick to one game only while hating another.

Also I'm going to have to check out Rust seeing as how Day Z standalone feels and still plays like utter trash without many signs of getting better like PA has, even Castle Story has lagged behind PA in terms of updates and actual patches.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
The classic line "This is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

Still, though. It's probably better that this happens now when the game is still in alpha to lessen the chances of it happening after release.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ed130 said:
Pyrian said:
At this point, you'd think that server farms would have DDOS-countermeasures built-in right out of the gate. It's not like they're uncommon.
And whats the difference between a botnet PC and a normal user? Very little, there's a reason why DDoS attacks are still pretty viable and this one appears to be more subtle (for an attack) than most.
The targeting strategy is interesting, but they're just spamming empty packets. Hardly rocket science to identify.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Why would somone do this? This gives the game more publicity than it would ahve had on its own. Last i heard the game was so buggy that it would become obscure in weeks anyway.

Caffiene said:
Cognimancer said:
Ah, right you are. Don't know what I was thinking, but the article's been updated. Thanks for the catch!
Now I kind of want to see what an undirected attack would look like.

"Attaaaaaack!" *charges off in a random direction*
It exists. IT tries to attack every ip it can find live checking which ip has security and which not. it gives up as soon as it finds resistence and randomly goes somewhere else. the purpose of such attacks is to find people without security measures and turn them into bots that run DDOS like that, without them even knowing it.

Pyrian said:
because such countermeasures do not exist. There are basically 3 ways you can deal with a DOS.
1. shut down your servers or keep them live but unacessible and call police, because DDOSing is illegal pretty much everywhere.
2. Be faster and have better bandwitch thank combined force of the attackers, in which case you can "ignore" it and they would achieve nothing. Considering that i could buy an internet contract with 10 dollars a month capable of sending out tens of thousands of attacks per second this becomes siginificantly difficult as people no longer use Dial-ups.
3. DDOS/hack them back. This takes even more power than option 2 becuase not only you have to handle incomming connectinos but you also need to identify and target the attackers at high speeds. Proxies are unlikely because proxies able to handle the bandwitch of DDOS is very expensive, the all the more popular remote servers - possible, so your target may not be even identifiable.

there are no "DDOS off" switch you can buy.

DDOS becomes more popular also due to the fact that it is very easy. there are multiple programs on the internet that allow you to DDOS other ips just by pressing couple buttons. Downloading and owning such programs is not illegal, because the programs themselves do not do anything illegal, however they can be directed to do illegal things. Just like you can stab somone with a knife but knife is not illegal weapon. Any kid can download and DDOS what they dont like. Also the fact that German court ruled that DDOS is a form of public protest does not help as a deterrant.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
...just wow

DDOS as a form of protest? Given the right circumstances, I might even defend the practice

Dirty trick by a competing company? Despicable, but it makes sense

Hell, I'll even accept a personal vendetta against someone on the dev team and/or publishers as at least being a reason

...but if this was just done by some random script kiddie? I just... why? Why do they do these things? What purpose did this serve?
Plenty of good hackers out there & they don't do this; most just tinker with code when they're bored.
Why do trolls always take things beyond the point where anyone could/would defend them?