22 Images From NASA That Will Make You Want to Be An Astronaut

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013

A collection of more than 270 unretouched vintage photos from the heyday of NASA's space program have gone on display in a London gallery. Take a look at this sampling and relive the excitement.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
As if people didn't want to be astronauts before these. Astronauts get to go to space. SPACE! The final frontier. There is nothing cooler than that.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
OMG!!! A picture of the Keys!!! From SPACE!! Thats mah home!!!! AWESOMEBLARGH!!!

As if I needed reasons to want to be a fricken' astronaut... I've always wanted to be one, but life didn't turn out that way... and we're not as far advanced as I thought we'd be by now to where it seemed viable I'd be able to venture out into space commercially. *sniff*

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
John Keefer said:

A collection of more than 270 unretouched vintage photos from the heyday of NASA's space program have gone on display in a London gallery. Take a look at this sampling and relive the excitement.

A little editorial side note, your last page incorrectly dates the beginning as "2964" instead of "1964". Would be interesting though. ;)

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
amaranth_dru said:
A little editorial side note, your last page incorrectly dates the beginning as "2964" instead of "1964". Would be interesting though. ;)
Fixed, thanks!

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It's funny how I sometimes forget that we are on a ball that is flying in the middle of nowhere, which would be wondering aimlessly if it wasn't caught into the pull of the Sun.

The Universe can be so fascinating.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
As if people didn't want to be astronauts before these. Astronauts get to go to space. SPACE! The final frontier. There is nothing cooler than that.
I don't mean to be that guy, but you don't get to go very far. It's like going outside your house, maybe to visit the neighbors, and then coming back in.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Literally zero of those horrifying pictures made me want be anything close to an astronaut. Keep that space away from me okay?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Adam Jensen said:
I don't mean to be that guy, but you don't get to go very far. It's like going outside your house, maybe to visit the neighbours, and then coming back in.
Only if you live in a neighbourhood where nobody had ever left their house before then.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
For those looking for images of NASA that will make you NOT want to be an astronaut, just go rent a DVD copy of Gravity. Your space-related nightmares will come shortly.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
Except for getting to come back. Alive.

;D

Akichi Daikashima said:
It's funny how I sometimes forget that we are on a ball that is flying in the middle of nowhere, which would be wondering aimlessly if it wasn't caught into the pull of the Sun.

The Universe can be so fascinating.
Fascinating, and humbling. Especially when one tries to quantify the scales involved when comparing ourselves to...well, anything else in the universe.

Still fascinates me that strings; as those predicted by String Theory; are several orders of magnitude smaller than us than we are compared to the size of the entire (presumed) universe.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
It always seems to me that most people react in one of two ways when thinking about astronauts, and both of them are wrong. The first is to see them in the ISS, and being content with that. The second way people seem to react is to dismiss it as a futile and petty endeavour, often citing the scale of the universe to undermine it.

What I think is the right way to consider it is to be impressed, but crave more. If we cannot get people excited about space travel, and eager to see it develop further, we may well end up jeopardising our long term survival as a species. Space travel and expansion should be (in this humble Escapist's opinion) the number one priority of all human civilisation. Without it, we are doomed to die in a terrible cataclysm, or wither away on the hollowed, spent husk of the Earth.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
The forgot the pictures of the crippling bone-density loss and the golden of age of shitting all over yourself up in your suit...

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Moloch Sacrifice said:
It always seems to me that most people react in one of two ways when thinking about astronauts, and both of them are wrong. The first is to see them in the ISS, and being content with that. The second way people seem to react is to dismiss it as a futile and petty endeavour, often citing the scale of the universe to undermine it.

What I think is the right way to consider it is to be impressed, but crave more. If we cannot get people excited about space travel, and eager to see it develop further, we may well end up jeopardising our long term survival as a species. Space travel and expansion should be (in this humble Escapist's opinion) the number one priority of all human civilisation. Without it, we are doomed to die in a terrible cataclysm, or wither away on the hollowed, spent husk of the Earth.
I swear xkcd has an answer for everything. From the Title Text of this comic [http://xkcd.com/893/]

The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.
I really wish world leaders would focus more on Space Travel. Course that's easy for me to say though

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Lionsfan said:
I really wish world leaders would focus more on Space Travel. Course that's easy for me to say though
It's a shame really. Unfortunately, the prevailing philosophy seems to be that science and technological advancement should support the economy, rather than the other way around. This is one of the few inherent flaws in democracy, in that leaders will do what keeps their supporters happy, in order to secure votes, rather than doing what is the best long term plan (which would likely be scrapped when another party comes to power).

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Mission: Gemini 4
Launched: June 1965
Crew: James McDivitt and Ed White
Description: Above, Astronaut Ed White conducts the first space walk outside the space capsule. Below, a view of the Florida Keys shot from the capsule.
First American space walk. The Soviets were the first to perform an EVA.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Space is scary, And Dangerous, and lonely. Forget that. Have you not watched Gravity, Armageddon, MOON, or any number of space films?

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I've wanted to be an astronaut ever since I first learned about man's first trips into space, the moon landings and everything after. While these photos are pretty epic and I'd love to get my hands on them, pedantry insists that Ed White did not conduct the "first space walk" - Alexey Leonov holds that record. Ed White was the first American to perform an EVA.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
These images make me sad. Sad to have missed that time and sad that there is no indication anything close to these amazing feats will be repeated and bettered in my lifetime. :(