The Escapist's Most Anticipated Games of 2014

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The Escapist's Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Check out the games we're most looking forward to, from next-gen to handheld, in 2014.

Read Full Article

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No Oddworld: New 'n Tasty? For shame.

Unless The Last Guardian is still being released (pfft, yeah right), this really is my most antcipated game of the year.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Rimworld is the only one in the list that I'm considering picking up.

Saddened that Banished didn't make the list. It's due out in a month.
Exactly. I've been drooling over Banished for about a year now... and it comes out a couple days before I get home from vacation and it's driving me nuts. :p The Reddit page has some LPs up, and it's looking as good as I hoped.

... I had been wondering about the Dinosaur game (Stomping Grounds?), I was thinking about it this weekend, remembering I'd seen something about it a long time ago and wondering if it still existed. Glad it does. It looks really neat.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
inFamous: Second Son, Dreamfall: Chapters, Wasteland 2, Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5. It's going to be a good year

Pillars of Eternity isn't on my list, because I don't actually expect it to be finished in time for 2014. Torment's not even hoping for 2015

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
IndomitableSam said:
MinionJoe said:
Exactly. I've been drooling over Banished for about a year now... and it comes out a couple days before I get home from vacation and it's driving me nuts. :p The Reddit page has some LPs up, and it's looking as good as I hoped.
Epic oversight. We're publishing a Banished preview this week and will be reviewing. It's rad.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
JonB said:
IndomitableSam said:
MinionJoe said:
Epic oversight. We're publishing a Banished preview this week and will be reviewing. It's rad.
Yay, thanks! ... but I still don't get it any sooner. :p Ah well. Only a few weeks away. Will keep an eye out for it.

Are video reviews coming back soon, or is the whole Youtube content thing still an issue? Anyone know?

Also, link the the Banished page for those interested. [http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/]

Jan 12, 2012
Just wondering, next time could you publish the whole name of the person writing the segment? There's no big list of Escapist employees to check against in the "Escapist Staff" profile, and a lot of you have fairly nondescript names (For instance, is "Paul" from the Bayonetta segment Paul Goodman or Paul Saunders?).

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Smash bros, Infamous, and metal gear are the only ones I'm legitimately anticipating. A few other ones are games I'm either cautious about or things I'll probably pick up at some point but not immediately. Looking like kind of a lackluster year honestly.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Smite is on the list?
Damn, forgot that is still in beta, to me it already feels like a whole game.
I wouldn't exactly put it on the list, but that is probably just my biased opinion speaking.

*Shrug*

As for what I am look forward to.
- Infamous: Second Son.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition. (Hopefully it will be better then it's previous terrible second game)
- Persona 5. (This one is sitting strong on my list)
- Kingdom Heats 3.
- The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

Honorable mentions go to.
- Aliens: Isolation. (Hoping it will do good too, but I will not judge too quickly)
- Watch Dogs.

Of course I am looking forward to see the things that are actually on my list.
For the honorable mentions, I would like to see more before making my decision.
As for the others I did not mention, I would like to see a lot from them. ^_^

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Huh... suddenly 2014 in gaming is looking a lot better than i gave it credit for.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh god, I didn't realise up until now how many games I was excited for this year.

"Just" from that list alone there's Bayonetta 2, Below, Child Of Light, Destiny, Diablo 3:RoS, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Hyrule Warriors, MGSV: The Phantom Pain, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Persona 5, Project Spark, The Sims 4, Sunset Overdrive, Super Smash Bros, The Division, Titanfall, Transistor, Watch Dogs and The Witcher 3.

Has the potential to be a fantastic year for gaming :D

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Only game im looking forward to is Satellite Reigns because i love the first two Syndicate games. Though there is a few interesting games on that list.

Also.....i will not get my hopes up for the new Alien game. Not again until i read some reviews.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Not that I'm complaining about all the up-and-coming game highlights, but this list is less of a "most-anticipiated" and more of a "here's almost every game coming out this year." I was figuring there would be about 5 entries, not 50.

That being said, I'm not at all surprised that a games journalism group would be anticipating every game they've heard of =D

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Infamous: Second Son, Deep Down, Game of Thrones, Kingdom Hearts 3, Transistor, and Watch Dogs are all on my list of super exciting games coming out next year.

Only glaring absence from the list I noticed was "The Witness." Really interested to see how that game turns out.

Never heard of "Valiant Hearts" before, but color me interested for now.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
How can anybody say they're only interested in one or 2 things on this list? There's something for everybody and then some. Read it!

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Pretty long list. From the list I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs and Transistor, and maybe a couple of others. I'm also pretty psyched from Dreamfall:Chapters (which didn't a shout-out), although there seems to be no "quiet" games on this list. It does seem that Susan's departure left a hole in the games featured among the Escapist staff.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
Also, link the the Banished page for those interested. [http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/]
*checks out this link*

So Banished is a non-combat RTS, basically? That's...actually pretty nifty. That's sort of what I'd like the Sims to be, rather than what the Sims is.

I'll have to check this out.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
My major hope for 2014 is Gravity Rush 2.

We've only got a short trailer so far but that's good enough for me to get excited.