Another Godzilla Reboot in the Works

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008

The grandaddy of giant Japanese movie monsters, Godzilla, is looking to make another comeback to American cinema screens courtesy of Legendary Pictures, the studio that produced The Dark Knight.

Godzilla is an international pop culture icon, and not even critically panned and just plain awful reboots are going to stop people from trying to try their hands at their own takes on the character. This time around, Legendary Pictures, the production house responsible The Dark Knight and others, is taking the reins, having started work on a major blockbuster starring the giant Japanese monster.

No details exist on the project so far aside from that Legendary supposedly wants to make it a big deal, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

While painful memories of director Roland Emmerich's appallingly bad Godzilla reboot in 1998 starring Matthew Broderick might immediately lead you to assume this is an awful, awful idea, I suppose some optimism might be gleaned from the fact that Legendary has not gone astray each time it has tried to adapt beloved geek franchises into big bucks Hollywood fare. I mean, they made The Dark Knight, 300 and Watchmen, so who knows. They're also at work on the World of Warcraft movie.

It really can't be worse than Godzilla 1998. I was barely out of grade school when I saw that movie and even then I knew it was bad. Actually, scratch that. It can be worse than that Godzilla. It cannot, however, be worse than the Puff Daddy video for "Come With Me [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvA26p6wMYc]" produced as a tie-in for that movie. Now that was awful.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Hooray for Godzilla reboot! And by people who don't f*ck around with source material :D

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
While beloved memories of director Roland Emmerich's amazingly good Godzilla reboot in 1998 starring Jean Reno
Had to fix that one, it was staring me in the face.

And in retrospect, that video is quite hilarious. He looks like Pinocchio on speed. Back in the day though, it was great.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well it can't possibly be worse than the last one. Long time Godzilla fans got a spit in the face for that abandonment of cannon.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Keane Ng said:
While beloved memories of director Roland Emmerich's amazingly good Godzilla reboot in 1998 starring Jean Reno

And in retrospect, that video is quite hilarious. He looks like Pinocchio on speed. Back in the day though, it was great.
Holy shit, Jean Reno was in that movie. I totally forgot. Okay that makes it a little better.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I loved the 1998 movie! It was one of my favourite films as a kid, and I even love it now. Is there something wrong with me?

Edit: What confuses me is that the movie mentions a Trade centre booming, now this maybe just bad knowledge of American history on my part, but is it talking about what I think it is?

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
I did really dislike the 1998 Godzilla, and was happy to see it return to cheese form with Godzilla 2000 (there's a little Godzilla in all of us - clearly the best ending scene ever).

I'll be watching this one with interest.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Keane Ng said:

Holy shit, Jean Reno was in that movie. I totally forgot. Okay that makes it a little better.
Granted, it's the only redeeming feature of the film, but IMO Jean Reno more than makes up for the rest of it.

Now all this reboot needs is Morgan Freeman...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I don't care what people think... I enjoyed that movie back when it was released and I still do. Yes, it's not the kind of masterpiece that lives through the ages, but then again making a Godzilla movie in the style of the old ones (which I like as well) just wouldn't have worked in '98, no way in hell. For a mindless 2 hour popcorn flic the movie was alright.

I do agree, however, that Puff Daddy's video for the movie was a piece of crap.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
the 1998 movie was good but it wasnt a godzilla movie and all i can hope is that this one will be

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Oh. I thought this would be about Toho working on a new Godzilla movie. I hope they will take a cue from the Japanese movies that were produced after Godzilla 1998, particularly GMK.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Admittedly, I'm not that much of a Godzilla fan. I could get into the idea of Godzilla, but not the movies themselves.

By the way, might I suggest R. Lee Ermey as the leader of the section of the military that will try to destory Godzilla?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Keane Ng said:

The grandaddy of giant Japanese movie monsters, Godzilla, is looking to make another comeback to American cinema screens courtesy of Legendary Pictures, the studio that produced The Dark Knight.

Godzilla is an international pop culture icon, and not even critically panned and just plain awful reboots are going to stop people from trying their hands at their own takes on the character. This time around, Legendary Pictures, the production house responsible for The Dark Knight and others, is taking the reins, having started work on a major blockbuster starring the giant Japanese monster.

No details exist on the project yet, except that Legendary supposedly wants to make it a big deal, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

While painful memories of director Roland Emmerich's appallingly bad Godzilla reboot in 1998 starring Matthew Broderick might immediately lead you to assume this is an awful, awful idea, I suppose some optimism might be gleaned from the fact that Legendary has not gone astray each time it has tried to adapt beloved geek franchises into big bucks Hollywood fare. I mean, they made The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen, so who knows how this could turn out. They're also at work on the World of Warcraft movie.

It really can't be worse than Godzilla 1998. I was barely out of grade school when I saw that movie, and even then I knew it was bad. Actually, scratch that. It can be worse than that Godzilla. It cannot, however, be worse than the Puff Daddy video "Come With Me [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvA26p6wMYc]" produced as a tie-in for that movie. Now that was awful.

Sorry Keane, but I felt a need to proofread that. Corrections are in bold, and ommissions are just plain not there.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Jimmy_shredshot said:
I loved the 1998 movie! It was one of my favourite films as a kid, and I even love it now. Is there something wrong with me?

Edit: What confuses me is that the movie mentions a Trade centre booming, now this maybe just bad knowledge of American history on my part, but is it talking about what I think it is?
It was nothing wrong when you were a kid. But today you should now better.
Repend brother/sister and watch the original TOHO movies and turn away from the dark side,
IF you care anything about Godzilla.

The 1998 Movie treated all important cultural and environmental Godzilla aspects with a foot in the face.
Maybe it was a good Monster movie but it was NEVER a Godzilla movie.
Stupid spoiled richclass brat Emmerich just raped the name like he could.