Google France Forced to Display Privacy Violation Notice

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Google France Forced to Display Privacy Violation Notice

The ordinarily pristine Google search page must now display a notice stating the company had to pay a privacy violation fine of €150,000.

The Google search page is, ordinarily, one of the most pristine places on the internet, displaying the Google logo, a search box, and two buttons. However, in France, at least for the next 48 hours, the Google search page must be accompanied by a notice stating that France's Commission Nationale de l'Informatique et des Libertés (CNIL) determined last year that the company had failed to address privacy and data protection questions, and was subsequently fined €150,000 (around $204,000), the maximum amount allowed by law.

The message must also contain a link to CNIL's decision [http://www.cnil.fr/linstitution/missions/sanctionner/Google/], which Google is currently trying its best to appeal. "Google has always maintained that page in a virgin state," argued attorney Patrice Spinosi, but nonetheless, France's top administrative court still upheld the CNIL's decision.

Google fell under the ire of CNIL back in October, 2012, when its investigation concluded that a new privacy policy that combined several separate policies under one umbrella and allowed Google to take advantage of user data from multiple different services at once, was in violation of "fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject."

Google was given a three month deadline to change the policy, which it failed to meet, and as such was subsequently fined and forced to display the message on its homepage. CNIL has been looking for ways to multiply the fairly low fine amount, which will barley leave a dent in Google's massive coffers.

Google is also facing action in the UK, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands regarding its controversial privacy policies.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/8/5393418/google-france-forced-to-notify-visitors-of-150000-privacy-policy-fine]

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Wow, go France. I like the knew tactic of targeting their reputation, because they a virtually limitless supply of cash. (This will of course hinder that supply more than the 150k will which is also awesome).

"You fuck with our people's privacy, we'll fuck your 'virgin' page."

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
To be honest, I don't see this having that much of an effect. I can't remember the last time I went to the Google home page, I just open a new tab and type my search term into the address bar when I need to Google something

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
its good.. except that 150,000 euro ( about 200,000 USD) is piss pathetic seeing as google made at least 2 billion in the 3rd financial quarter of 2013.

2 billion being the profit they made in that quarter not their total revenue*

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Wow, go France. I like the knew tactic of targeting their reputation, because they a virtually limitless supply of cash. (This will of course hinder that supply more than the 150k will which is also awesome).

"You fuck with our people's privacy, we'll fuck your 'virgin' page."
It's a very common practice. If a people magazine is condemned for invasion of privacy of a celebrity, they have to display a full page in their next edition to state so. It's good on paper, but unfortunately in reality people don't seem to care an continue to buy the magazine (or use the Google services). And as was pointed out, the fine is usually less than they make for publishing an article in the first place so they keep doing it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh you better believe they will find a way to multiply the fines. Google is rich and they know it. Should have changed that policy boys, now they have a case. Oh and making the notice public was a stroke of genius.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
RedBackDragon said:
its good.. except that 150,000 euro ( about 200,000 USD) is piss pathetic seeing as google made at least 2 billion in the 3rd financial quarter of 2013.

2 billion being the profit they made in that quarter not their total revenue*
Chances are the fine is less than they spent on lawyers fighting it. And even those costs combined doesn't amount to anything more than spare change.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Good.
Bleed those idiots dry for shoving down google+ everyones throat.
Good job pestering people about their real names constantly and publicizing the private data of people they didn't want anyone to see when merging google accounts.
I know a good multiplicator that'll make them get that thumb out o their collective asses, how about 150k Euros for every citizen they are data mining this way for each month this is still going on unchanged?
Cause those are the people actually affected. Why not let them line their pockets?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Google: "It's a LIE! The evidence has been falsified! I never broke the law! I AM THE LAW!!"

Vive le France!

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Genocidicles said:
How about actually making them stop violating people's privacy?
Gonna be hard trying to reign in google when its own goverment is busy violationg the privacy of every citizen in its nation just darn about, nm how much more spying the nsa does outside of america wherte they clearly have zero concern about privacy respe3ct trust.

How are our corporations going to take privacy seriously when their national leaders laugh and spit on it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
Guys, remember when Google used to not be evil? I really, really miss those days.
Unfortunately that seems to be the fate of every company that manages to corner a market and grows large and fat from it. As Lord Acton once said: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
This doesn't make any sense... Google is an American corporation so it stands above all laws.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
kanetsb said:
This doesn't make any sense... Google is an American corporation so it stands above all laws.
They also have a deal with the NSA to provide w/e they want for any reason they want, same old system just google does the dirty work for the usg now.

So yea good luck.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Complete bullshit, Google should have just gone dark in France for two days. Mainly because the privacy laws in Europe are completely nuts.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
proud too be a European, almost makes me wish I was French. Google needs to be defamed for turning evil so rapidly, and it's monopoly dismantled. The average consumer has no idea what is going on behind the scenes and are very easily lulled into habits.

thisbymaster said:
Complete bullshit, Google should have just gone dark in France for two days. Mainly because the privacy laws in Europe are completely nuts.
are you for real? you don't care about right to privacy?

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Genocidicles said:
How about actually making them stop violating people's privacy?
That's what I allways think when something like this happens...I think the people at Google have great problems with Asthma by now from laughing too hard.