Rambo: The Video Game Review - First Crud

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I'm quite sad this game is crap.

Rambo could have been like Far Cry 3 in the hands of a competent developer, but alas, it was clearly too much to hope for. And I held on to any scrap of hope that this game could have been awesome. Even with the trailers that showed the engine was made of styrofoam and bits of twig, I still held hope that we would have a great Rambo game (Gameplay trumps less than stellar graphics IMO). I need a stiff drink.

Also, Hot Shots Part Deux is awesome, and I thank god that Jim referenced it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So don't buy it then? jk
Yeah fortunately for all of us the Escapist has kept us pretty up to date on the development of this stinkpile, if for no other reason than to show how not to make a game. Lets put this in the "should be buried next to E.T." pile.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I can't believe that teams of people actually waste effort creating games like this any more.

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
Hilarious review. I tried to send a quote from the review to my buddy and every time I copy and paste it a link is attached to it. That's pretty lame Escapist.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I wonder if the developer is going to be so desperate to put some positive reviews on their released trailer (if they have the budget for it, which I think has all been used up on crack and hookers) that they will start quote mining for even the slightest positive statement.

"Like this game..."

Jim Sterling, The Escapist

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Aww I was kind of hoping it would be a surprising quality game like the Chronicles of Riddick. I really want another Riddick game already.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Scorpid said:
Aww I was kind of hoping it would be a surprising quality game like the Chronicles of Riddick. I really want another Riddick game already.
Remember, that game had give-a-damn on its side. I have yet to see a game adaptation not sucking without it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Guise of the Wolf & Rambo, and it's only February? 2014 is shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming history.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
No surprises there. When I first saw the trailer for this game my first thoughts were how bad the in-game Rambo looks. The Rocky model in the 2002 Rocky game does a better job looking like Stallone. If, as a developer, you somehow do a worse job recreating the face of a highly recognizable actor than a game a dozen years older, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of your game.

Goliath100 said:
Scorpid said:
Remember, that game had give-a-damn on its side. I have yet to see a game adaptation not sucking without it.
It's pretty well known that Vin Diesel was an avid gamer and D&D player since long before he became famous. So, I always like to think the give-a-damn came from Diesel threatening the devs with horrible violence involving shivs, unless the game about him was good.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Yostbeef said:
Hilarious review. I tried to send a quote from the review to my buddy and every time I copy and paste it a link is attached to it. That's pretty lame Escapist.
That bugs me so much. Usually when friends and I share quotes like that, we pop up the link anyhow. But having the link come up every time we share a choice quote is bothersome.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Rednog said:
Guise of the Wolf & Rambo, and it's only February? 2014 is shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming history.
It's like they are trying to compete for the Total Abhorrence Award.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I have this strange thing where i feel an overwhelmingly sad sympathy for people that fail at doing something they try hard at or love.

It's a horrible feeling, and i kind of have it for these guys. The interviews with the developers and such sounded like thy really loved what they were doing, and honest to go thought it would be great.

I feel bad for them. By the time they got footage out there, and saw how much everyone hate it they were probably in the situation of "Well, if we stop now we can't try again with anything else because we'll be broke, so we may as well keep going and do our best!".

Not that any of that is an excuse, as a dev you need to be able to see the flaws in your product, but that sad sympathy remains in me.