Dark Souls Six: Darkest Souls

Oct 10, 2011
I think it's very misleading that the Souls games are portrayed as being so difficult. Sure, you'll die, but if you move cautiously and stay focused you can get through just about anything. It doesn't even take any special skills, I have a friend who was introduced to gaming through Dark Souls, and they love it. It just doesn't work if you take the strategy of charging through everything that works in most games.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Hm, i've always wondered how hard is DS compared to Ninja Gaiden or the easier Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Hm, i've always wondered how hard is DS compared to Ninja Gaiden or the easier Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy?
Dark Souls isn't hard. It's just impenetrable. Nothing is explained and you have to figure out how it works, and that may involve dying again and again till you figure it out, but once you do you can just cruise through areas and beat the whole game in 10 hours (speedrunners can do under a half hour, but those people are gloriously crazy).

Given that, it's easier than a game that requires constant high level combat technique like Ninja Gaiden. It's also easier than Binding of Isaac because everything is always in the same place and you'll never be screwed by random dungeon. I guess you could sort of compare it to SMB, but it's not nearly as twitchy.

So basically, people are confusing its opacity for difficulty.

Edited: Changed 2 hours above to 10 hours. You're probably not going to get 2 without some speedrun techniques.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Poison face darts?

What are you, a fukin kasul?

Get on mah fukin level scrub.
How improve?

How do I even lift?

OT: Is "poison darts from touching analogue stick" really difficulty, or just an epic booby trap?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah I don't like that whole marketing bs on dark souls difficulty.
It's misleading and could lead to future souls games being worse for it just like alien games where Aliens has been misunderstood as "space marines shoot aliens and are badass" which is NOT what the movie was about.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Chaosritter said:
oldtaku said:
Once you do you can just cruise through areas and beat the whole game in 2 hours (speedrunners can do under a half hour, but those people are gloriously crazy).
Two hours? Not really. I know there are a bunch of crazy speed runs, but they all exploited glitches to skip a good part of the game.
Fair enough, you probably won't get two hours without using some speedrun techniques. Seems like if you were just playing and knew where and what everything was and how to beat them you could do it in ten. But that's not because it's scary hard, just because there's a lot of running around, and fighting bosses takes time without oneshot tricks.

Putting it another way, you can beat the entire game without bothering to level up.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
oldtaku said:
Dark Souls isn't hard. It's just impenetrable. Nothing is explained and you have to figure out how it works, and that may involve dying again and again till you figure it out, but once you do you can just cruise through areas and beat the whole game in 2 hours (speedrunners can do under a half hour, but those people are gloriously crazy).

Given that, it's easier than a game that requires constant high level combat technique like Ninja Gaiden. It's also easier than Binding of Isaac because everything is always in the same place and you'll never be screwed by random dungeon. I guess you could sort of compare it to SMB, but it's not nearly as twitchy.

So basically, people are confusing its opacity for difficulty.
Huh, that's a suprise. Seeing as i enjoy BoI alot and never felt it was particulary crazy hard. Just takes a few tries to learn the items / enemies but that's true for all the mentioned games (replace enemies with evil sawblades for smb).

Still have the game on my to do list - even though numero dos is out already. But my old controller is broken and i never wanted to buy a new one just for DS :D
Gotta give it a shot now that i can play through both 1 & 2 >.>

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
Chaosritter said:
oldtaku said:
Dark Souls isn't hard. It's just impenetrable. Nothing is explained and you have to figure out how it works, and that may involve dying again and again till you figure it out, but once you do you can just cruise through areas and beat the whole game in 2 hours (speedrunners can do under a half hour, but those people are gloriously crazy).
Two hours? Not really.

I know there are a bunch of crazy speed runs, but they all exploited glitches to skip a good part of the game.
not actualy dark souls 2 have aready been beaten in 2 hours 39 mins without using single real glitch (i was watching it from start to end no idea whether or not there is aready faster run. the only thing that can actualy be seen as glitch was pushing one of the early bosses from cliff to cause instant dead and that is actualy more of feature of boss since it takes amazing skill to execute without dying yourself not to forget the boss can be beaten in 2-4 mins without it + the same guy finished dark souls 2 in his second run in 3 hours 22 mins before he had much of an idea for optimal routes)
dark souls 1 world record is 1 hour 21mins all bosses beaten (no idea whether or not glitches where used)and 25mins for any % run. you are overestimating dark souls and underestimating speedrunners.
i personaly can use my own dark souls 1 experience as a example in my firt run it taked 5 hours to get past gargoyles and ring the first bell in my second run it taked 1 hour 7mins (and most bosses beaten in first try if i would be able to avoid deads it would have been under 30 mins run to same part which is huge time cut)these both runs were done in last week since i bought dark souls 1 just so i could understand dark souls 2 lore better. so as you learn dark souls you get much faster at it when you know what to expect.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I just had to say, I really like how Erin was drawn in the first panel.

Even though it doesn't have poison face darts yet, its just not my kind of game.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
drakonz said:
Noobest has the currently fastest Any% run at 2:03:50 (can be seen here http://www.twitch.tv/noobest/c/3901965 how do I link properly?)
The run is expected to improve significantly as more optimal routes are found. An all bosses route is also in the works.

as for DS1 the only glitch I remember being used is the moveswap glitch (using one weapon with the moveset of another), but there were sub two hour runs before that.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
username sucks said:
I think it's very misleading that the Souls games are portrayed as being so difficult. Sure, you'll die, but if you move cautiously and stay focused you can get through just about anything. It doesn't even take any special skills, I have a friend who was introduced to gaming through Dark Souls, and they love it. It just doesn't work if you take the strategy of charging through everything that works in most games.
That a pretty big "if". Because , as we all know, gamers are known for their patience. Hold on while i check my pre-orders for an early access alpha to a game on steam.

OT: really good point . i really hope they don't get to 6. They'll probably make a reboot at 4 .

Oct 10, 2011
krazykidd said:
username sucks said:
That a pretty big "if". Because , as we all know, gamers are known for their patience. Hold on while i check my pre-orders for an early access alpha to a game on steam.

OT: really good point . i really hope they don't get to 6. They'll probably make a reboot at 4 .
That "if" is the reason the game is so popular. "Gamer" simply refers to people who play video games. It's the whole reason we have different gameplay genres. Some like the fast paced action of a shooter, some like the strategy in an rts, ect. Saying someone is a gamer doesn't say anything about their personality or traits, just the medium of entertainment they like.

So saying gamers are impatient makes as much sense as saying people are impatient. It is true for many (probably most, admittedly), but there is still a very large crowd who is patient and wants to move slowly and cautiously, at least sometimes.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
dear god i originally wanted to write how the reason i bought demons souls was because somebody tried very hard to explain what makes the game so special(not just say its hard) but then again this is a dark souls thread where people a) tell you how great they are for whatever they did or watched someone to that game or b) tell you how the game is not hard just stupid because they didn't like X.
i'm just gonna go back to titanfall thread and laugh at people bitching about the smart pistol

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Anybody who says that Dark Souls isn't hard is lying to you.

If you are unprepared for what is coming next, you will die. Repeatedly. Even if you are prepared for what is coming, but don't have lighting reflexes or very good gear, you will die. Repeatedly.

Dark Souls is a game where you have to understand how things work. Sure the game tells you how to block, but it doesn't tell you how stability, block % and endurance work.

Many of the bosses will kill you in two or three hits. It's not uncommon to go into a boss room and die in five seconds. Many bosses have attacks where your only hope is to dodge, with almost perfect timing.

Basically unless you are not a master of how you control your character, you will die. Repeatedly.