Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

With the release of Batman: Arkham Asylum just weeks away, let's take a look at some of the wonderful gadgets we're going to get to use.

[gametrailers=54110]

If you're wondering what the modern crime-fighter is wearing this season, then look no further. The latest trailer for Batman: Arkham Asylum gives us a look at some of the tools we'll get to use when we retake the titular sanitarium. If you've played the demo, then you'll have used a few of these already, but the explosive gel and grapnel look like they're going to be a lot of fun.

One thing's for sure, we've come a long way since 'Shark Repellent Bat Spray' [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UJaprpxrk].

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gadgets-batman-arkham/54110]

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Looking forward to the gel and the better battar 'rangs. Lest we forget the might of the grapple gun.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
nilcypher said:

One thing's for sure, we've come a long way since 'Shark Repellent Bat Spray' [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UJaprpxrk].

And the Bat Ladder... where does batman get these useful gadget?

OP: Love all the toys but what's with all the trailers? I feel like I've played the full game by all the trailers I've watched.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, I am hoping not every moment in the game has been ruined by the trailers.

Though honestly, I would like some of that "Oceanic Repellent". Of course then again given what it did, it COULD simply be the exploding Gel, just because he wound up with exploding Gel doesn't mean that is where the development started.

Oh yes, and I sort of hope he adds signs onto everything to remind us that everything is supposed to be the "Bat" whatever. I mean I might have forgotten that the Bat Ladder was the Bat Ladder if it wasn't for the sign at the bottom. Spectators need to be able to tell when something is a bad-gadget rather than a regular rope ladder or whatever. :p

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this game looks like it's going to be awesome, tho i think a LOT of stealth will be involved, which will probly piss off a lot of people. i got my preorder for it and i can't wait for the batcave for home and to play as the joker

even better they got Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to do the voices

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
is max payne in a batman costume

alcohol reference and tobbaco reference? c'mon

was that mr hyde?

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
This is begining to look like bat man would be better off with a Bat-a-Chainsaw or a Bat-a-Nuke seeing how its all makes big booms or hurts people in some way

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
This makes want to puke, curse then puke again.

Arkham asylum was and is a complex psychological and symbolic masterpiece. One of the all time best comics in my opinion. To see it turned into this stupid fucking game, with "BAT-VISION" and "BAT-ARANG" and fucking exploding gel makes we want to stop being a gamer. JESUS.

Do yourselves a favor and go read the comic, it's a masterpiece.

JESUS!

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
This game shall be the one and only true Batman game.
oh come on what about the original batman on NES that kicked massive amounts of ass

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
this game looks like it's going to be awesome, tho i think a LOT of stealth will be involved, which will probly piss off a lot of people. i got my preorder for it and i can't wait for the batcave for home and to play as the joker

even better they got Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to do the voices
Im looking forward to same thing as you.

I thought the combat was going to be mediocre at best but it actually looks really fun. I was most looking forward to the boss fights. Killer croc, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn Etc. It'll just hopefully be a fantastic game with lots of diversity and a storyline which makes sense because Im struggling to see how it makes any at the moment.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
asiepshtain said:

Arkham asylum was and is a complex psychological and symbolic masterpiece. One of the all time best comics in my opinion. To see it turned into this stupid fucking game, with "BAT-VISION" and "BAT-ARANG" and fucking exploding gel makes we want to stop being a gamer. JESUS.

JESUS!
Batman actually HAS a vision implant in the cowl, along with exploding gel and Batarangs, hell he has had batarangs since the original comics. This is the first time a Batman game has ever been done RIGHT so stop being a tool.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Simriel said:
asiepshtain said:

JESUS!
Batman actually HAS a vision implant in the cowl, along with exploding gel and Batarangs, hell he has had batarangs since the original comics. This is the first time a Batman game has ever been done RIGHT so stop being a tool.
I agree with you but is he even talking about Cowl?

How many Batman comics have there been featuring Arkham Asylum...?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
This game shall be the one and only true Batman game.
Uh lego Batman much?
You wanna apologize for this now, or after the legions of fans and fanboys beat your head into the very ground beneath your feet?

Seriously now - I can't wait till I get to download this game's demo on my PC... I now have either a PC with a demon CPU (E8400) but an integrated GPU (...don't ask me, I would want to meet the idiot myself), or a medium-good PC (Athlon 5200 + HD3650 + 3GB RAM) but a dumb keyboard from HP, useless HP mouse and a slow, very slow connection that would never download the game in less than 2 days.

...I want my mediocre, overclocked PC. Now ;[

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
This better be as good as everyone has been hyping it up to be. If not, I will kill everyone at IGN because they have been hyping THE HELL out of Arkham for months.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
hansari said:
Simriel said:
asiepshtain said:

JESUS!

He seemed to be suggesting that all the gadgets where made up for the game, as opposed to Batman actually HAVING them in the comics which he does. And quite a few comics take place in Arkham Asylum, however he is referring to a specific comic called Arkham Asylum.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
hansari said:
Simriel said:
asiepshtain said:

JESUS!

Ok, let me fill in the gaps, what I'm talking about is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_Asylum:_A_Serious_House_on_Serious_Earth

It's the batman comic series named after the Arkham Asylum, and to the best of my understanding it's what this game patheticaly claims to draw from. The arkham asylum being taken over by the inmates and them demanding batman join them there.

Along with "The dark knight returns" it's part of what made batman great, a story miles ahead of the curve, with depth and intrest beyond mere superhero stories. It's a work of art.

And by the way, in this book, batman has no tricks, no weapons, and no fucking batarang! In fact the story is much more a psychological study then a action-adventure. Not to say there aren't fights, it has an awsome batman-croc encounter, and even that is just a symbolic strugle to something else which I won't spoil here.

They are taking one of the finest moments of batman history and making it into exactly what it wasn't - a stupid, violent, power-trip. I know I haven't seen the game yet and I'm being a dick judging it before hand, but Arkham_Asylum was all about the story and completely against the whole batman ass-kicker thing, quite the opposite, batman is portraried as fragile, weak and incomptent for almost the entire work. And it's the story of his reconstruction and healing that makes it such a powerfull and important book.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
asiepshtain said:
hansari said:
Simriel said:
asiepshtain said:

JESUS!

Ok, let me fill in the gaps, what I'm talking about is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_Asylum:_A_Serious_House_on_Serious_Earth

It's the batman comic series named after the Arkham Asylum, and to the best of my understanding it's what this game patheticaly claims to draw from. The arkham asylum being taken over by the inmates and them demanding batman join them there.

Along with "The dark knight returns" it's part of what made batman great, a story miles ahead of the curve, with depth and intrest beyond mere superhero stories. It's a work of art.

And by the way, in this book, batman has no tricks, no weapons, and no fucking batarang! In fact the story is much more a psychological study then a action-adventure. Not to say there aren't fights, it has an awsome batman-croc encounter, and even that is just a symbolic strugle to something else which I won't spoil here.

They are taking one of the finest moments of batman history and making it into exactly what it wasn't - a stupid, violent, power-trip. I know I haven't seen the game yet and I'm being a dick judging it before hand, but Arkham_Asylum was all about the story and completely against the whole batman ass-kicker thing, quite the opposite, batman is portraried as fragile, weak and incomptent for almost the entire work. And it's the story of his reconstruction and healing that makes it such a powerfull and important book.
Uh yeah, it's not based off that as much as you think. The best of your understanding seems to be "Research is for pussies, and whatever I believe must be right". If you had taken the time to do even an iota of research you would have found out that not only is Paul Dini (responsible for a little thing you might remember as "Batman: The Animated Series" which had voice talents such as Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill...well I've made my point) writing the story for this, but in fact it has little to do with "A Serious House on Serious Earth". Yes, Arkham Asylum gets taken over, but Batman was already there instead of the "I'll kill everyone if he doesn't show up" part. And it's not like "Arkham is taken over by criminals" wasn't used before, in fact it was used in a Batman: TAS episode where Batman is put on trial by his rogues gallery after they seize Arkham.

So yes, maybe Paul Dini borrowed some elements when he was writing the story, but it's not like he's taking the whole thing word for word and ripping it off. In fact, when he was brought in to write the story, all the dev team had was the idea that Arkham would be a cool setting for a Batman game.

Had you played the demo, which I doubt you have because you said you haven't seen it yet, you'd have probably spotted the differences pretty damn quickly. But you didn't, so instead you decided to go on your wangsty power trip about how video games are bastardizing comics.