Far Cry 4 Features Ridable Elephants, is Set in The Himalayas

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Far Cry 4 Features Ridable Elephants, is Set in The Himalayas

Far Cry 4 will give players the ability to saddle up and ride elephants.

A source close to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-far-cry-4-set-in-the-himalayas-has-ridable-elephants] has leaked a couple of key details about Ubisoft's upcoming open-world shooter: Far Cry 4. Namely, that the series will be ditching its traditional sandy beaches for the snowy mountains of the Himalayas, and a new feature in the game will be the ability to saddle up and ride elephants.

The source also confirmed that Ubisoft was aiming for release in the first half of 2015, which is more than a year off from now. We can probably assume that this means the game will be current-gen only, skipping over the Xbox 360 and PS3.

But, it looks like it's going to be a little while before we get our first official glimpse at the game, as the title isn't set to be shown until Ubisoft's annual press conference at E3 in June, where it should appear in some for, one source said.

Another source said that Far Cry 4 will have the same kind of gameplay as its predecessor, with a large focus on hunting local fauna. The world's map will be structured in a familiar fashion too, with outposts for you to liberate.

Far Cry 3 launched in November 2012, and followed the journey of Jason Brody as he went from dumb college teen to psychotic mass-murderer. It was followed by the completely off-the-walls insane 80's retro throwback: Blood Dragon, which was so successful that Ubisoft is thinking about a sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123753-Michael-Biehn-Dev-Already-Has-Blood-Dragon-Sequel-In-Mind].

Ubisoft also recently announced Assassin's Creed: Unity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133132-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Set-in-Paris-Says-Ubisoft], which will be set in France, and we will also presumably hear more about at this year's E3.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-far-cry-4-set-in-the-himalayas-has-ridable-elephants]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
But... how could i possibly set everything on fire if everythings covered in snow?

To be fair though, theres a limit to how many times one can pull the fictional tropical pirate island as a setting.

Which kind of begs the question, if Far Cry is finally ditching the fictional tropical pirate island as a setting for the mountains, then what is there going to be in those mountains?

The best ive come up with so far is the militant cultists mountain strongholds, which is only slightly more out there than the fictional tropical pirate island.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Cannot wait for this, Far Cry 3 was easily one of my favourite games of 2012 and i still play it now, usually never getting bored.

can't wait to hear more details, and glad they are using different terrains this time around, Grass, Sand and Water can only be used so many times before it gets old, Snow will hopefully add some different game play elements, like trying to keep warm etc

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
I really want to know who the bad guy is and if he'll be as fun as Vaas was. Who am I kidding, of course they won't be, but I am looking forward to this.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I loved Far Cry 3 to death, but I dunno, part of the reason I loved Far Cry and Far Cry 3 (and Crysis) so much was I just love the tropical island setting. The gorgeous jungles, the water, the foliage, the beaches. Something about the Himalayas just sounds really boring comparatively, almost like it's gonna the northern section of "Skyrim" with firearms.

But I'll wait till the game comes out to pass judgment, fingers crossed that it's good.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
the series will be ditching its traditional sandy beaches for the snowy mountains of the Himalayas
Called it. Now I think I'm going to do my happy dance.

Please tell me we get to trudge in deep powder and track people in the snow...

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Fantastic, I remember discussing a while ago that I'd like the next Far Cry to have some sort of Asian theme. I'm very okay with this direction.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i'm getting this only if i get to do ski takedowns

from a hang glider

(also, hunt a yeti)

Aug 1, 2010
[b/][i/]FUCKING SOLD[/i][/b]

Seriously. I'm not even kidding. They just sold a copy of the game to me.

Despite a few glaring issues, I adored Far Cry 3, so I'm already happy that 4 is happening. The mountains seem like a brilliant change of location. Countless new opportunities, but it can keep the wilderness stuff.

The elephants are just the massive, tusked icing on the cake.

I also squee'd like a little girl from the link that said they're considering a Blood Dragon sequel. Somehow I missed that story.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Not sure how I feel about another far cry sequel.

Loved Far Cry
Hated Far Cry 2
Loved Far Cry 3
If fc4 is anything like the second one I can tell you I will not even look at the game.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Eh. I just hope it is harder than FC3. I really enjoyed the game (and the whole series. I think 2 was badass so neyeah, but even with turning all the map options off finding your way around and crafting was waaaay to simple. The unlock free guns was dumb IMO. I want some challenge to my excitement. AND NO MORE TALKING PROTAG. I couldn't stand him in FC3.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I've ridden an elephant a few times. Enough to say I can "ride" one.

Let me tell you- it's not very practical unless you want to move a lot of things around. It wobbles even more than a camel does and it's impossible to stay on unless you've got your legs around its neck- one person only unless you've got a special chair on the hump.

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
I just really hope they implement a less repetitive discovery mechanic than the watch towers. ie I'd like to see something like an outpost you can infiltrate with a section of map inside for some parts, a mountain climbing ability to 'synchronise' on others.

With the current gen of consoles there's plenty of room to make sure variety can be added to normally repetetive but necessary stages of a game, keeping then from becoming a chore.

luske3

Mar 5, 2014
I'm really excited for Far Cry 4 actually, climbing around mountains and jumping enemies while hunting all manners of animals sounds like a blast! I never played the first game, but the second one was alright. I should really get to playing Far cry 3 then. It's been on my "to do list" basically since it came out but I've never gotten around to it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Ever since early rumours placed Far Cry 3 in Antarctica, I've been waiting and waiting for Far Cry to go there and be original. The more I think about it though, the more the Himalayas sounds like it could combine the best elements you'd get from an Antarctic setting with others you couldn't do there.

Man if they set it in the 1920s-1940s it's rock so hard.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
This song is pretty much mandatory for elephant riding.
Ubisoft, please include this song instead of some generic dubstep!

The Himalayas is a great setting. Better be able to knock people off mountains ? and better have a Sparta kick!
If they make Blood Dragon II: Electric Boogaloo, will it be set in mountains too?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
I loved Far Cry 3 to death, but I dunno, part of the reason I loved Far Cry and Far Cry 3 (and Crysis) so much was I just love the tropical island setting. The gorgeous jungles, the water, the foliage, the beaches. Something about the Himalayas just sounds really boring comparatively, almost like it's gonna the northern section of "Skyrim" with firearms.

But I'll wait till the game comes out to pass judgment, fingers crossed that it's good.
Well one of the common features of the Far Cry series is gorgeous vistas and stunning locations, the Himalayan Mountains certainly qualify as that. That has been one of my favourite things about the series even with the gameplay flaws they tend to have, they are not the usual trashed cities or post apocalypse grey worlds explored through corridors.

Tropical islands, African bush and now the Himalayas, it fits in quite well.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Another day, another unconfirmed rumour from some unnamed source getting taken as gospel. Until it's officially confirmed I'm not taking this too seriously but I've got to admit the Himalayas would make a cool setting so fingers crossed.