Terminator Reboot Will Feature Multiple Time Travelling Robots

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Terminator Reboot Will Feature Multiple Time Travelling Robots

Arnold Schwarzenegger will play an older looking T-800 alongside a younger looking model that's eventually "reprogrammed."

When it comes to action franchises, you'd be hard-pressed to find another quite as iconic as The Terminator films. It'd be no great stretch, in turn, to say that a big chunk of its popularity is owed to Arnold Schwarzenegger. The actor behind the titular Terminator itself, he's starred in three of the four existing films and will <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125492-Terminator-Reboot-Coming-in-June-2015>be returning for the series' 2015 reboot <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130533-Game-of-Thrones-Actress-Will-Be-Sarah-Connor-in-Terminator-Reboot>Terminator: Genesis.

As potentially exciting as his participation could be however, it's also raised a lot of questions concerning how the film will deal with Schwarzenegger's advancing age. At 66, he'll be nearly thirty years older than he was when he starred as the villain of the original film. It's an issue that the actor, speaking about the reboot recently, took time to address.

"It will be challenging because it will be a new director, and it will be a really action packed movie," said Schwarzenegger. "And sometimes it does get more difficult when you're 66 years old and doing this kind of action, versus when you're in your 30s or in your 40s." That said, Genesis will apparently be taking steps to integrate his age into its story. "The way that the character is written, it's a machine underneath," he explained. "It's this metal skeleton. But above that is human flesh. And the Terminator's flesh ages, just like any other human being's flesh. Maybe not as fast. But it definitely ages."

The film, in turn, will apparently also feature a second "younger T-800" that will eventually be reprogrammed. "What that model does later on when it gets reprogrammed, and who gets ahold of him... [there] will be all kinds of interesting twists in the movie." Terminator 2, of course, featured Schwarzenegger in the role of a reprogrammed T-800 fighting on the side of humanity. Whether or not this younger T-800 will wind up doing something similar is something we'll be interested to see.

Source: <a href=http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1724758/arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator-genesis-secrets.jhtml>MTV

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
If it doesn't have Shirley Manson playing the T-1001 Catherine Weaver, then I'm not going to be interested.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, if it wants to somehow be even more godawful than Salvation, then it's got its work cut out for it.

But honestly, haven't we had enough of reboots by now? Can we try something new with the franchise?

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Well this just sounds stupid. How exactly is it supposed to age when its nothing more a cover? Why not just 'deaage' him ala Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy? Admittedly that was a little weird but it worked.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
this movie would benefit by cutting out arnold altogether. the shoehorning of "aging flesh robot" just to include him reeks of stupid.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
The endoskeletal tissue obviously isn't perpetually renewing. But then, why would have needed to be?

Why not have a Terminator camouflaged as a little old lady, for example?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
You know what was great about the original terminator? There was a robot in it, what could we do to make it better? Add MORE robots in it! Yeah!
Then we'll give every one of them away by having them in the trailer removing all mystery!

I'm not really looking forward to this.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Text simply cannot communicated how much of a hopeless groan I emitted upon reading this article.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Can we let this leathery old corpse retire already?
Seriously, Arnold movies have been a big part of my life, but I like many other intelligent people recognize when it's time too move on. Arnold, or the people who keep hiring him evidently do not possess that innate sense, that feeling of: "This is getting a bit ridiculous, time for something different."
Nope, just keep resurrecting ancient action stars from their Valium induced comas too shamble around onscreen for ninety minutes spitting cliched lines and looking incredibly awkward firing guns.

Dec 16, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Well, if it wants to somehow be even more godawful than Salvation, then it's got its work cut out for it.

But honestly, haven't we had enough of reboots by now? Can we try something new with the franchise?
more awful than T4? Did you not see T3?

I like this news, Terminator is Schwarzeneggar. I wonder if the younger T800 will be a CGI Arnold or a different actor (please be the Rock)

Dec 16, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
this movie would benefit by cutting out arnold altogether. the shoehorning of "aging flesh robot" just to include him reeks of stupid.
I think one of the books (going back a long time since I read them so I'm probably wrong) went through the issues Skyney had with stopping infection due to yhe flesh not being part of an immune system. So in that cannon its not that outrageous.

The T800 with its Model 101 skin is made for infiltration, it wouldn't behard (for me) to believe that there are variations on this model to help with this. 101 Young, 101 Old, 101 Aging etc

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:

What, like leaving it the fuck alone?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I'm sick and tired of reboots especially when the original were damn fine and doesn't need one. How about taking the series in a new direction but without pretending all the previous movies never happened?

We could have a story about John Connor fighting a losing war and realize he needs to adopt a new strategy. One day he reflect on all that's happened to him, the time he spend with the first terminator that saved him and the new one that give him the heart that beats within him now.

He then realized that the terminators and AI got potential to be good, they programming were just flawed and instead of fighting them on the hardware side (shooting them) he assemble a team of tech and scientist to fight then on the software side, capturing and reprogramming terminators to fight for them.

We can have the storyline about him teaching the terminator about humanity and coexistance like in terminator 2.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I think one of the books (going back a long time since I read them so I'm probably wrong) went through the issues Skyney had with stopping infection due to yhe flesh not being part of an immune system. So in that cannon its not that outrageous.

The T800 with its Model 101 skin is made for infiltration, it wouldn't behard (for me) to believe that there are variations on this model to help with this. 101 Young, 101 Old, 101 Aging etc
i figure after nailing down sentient AI and TIME TRAVEL, they might have the technology to handle anti-aging robot flesh. i've never read a terminator book (honestly, this is the first i've heard of such things) but this all still kinda avoids my original point that including arnold at all seems stupid to me. if i were someone of power within the making of this, i wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

but, maybe someone disagrees.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
How about not doing a reboot? The movie is fine as it is. Let's be, I don't know, creative and create a new franchise?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
StewShearer said:
starred in three of the four existing films
He's been in all four.

OT: Why do people feel the need to 'reboot' great movies all the time? The original is a classic, leave it be.
It's a way to gull the gullible.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Neta said:
If it doesn't have Shirley Manson playing the T-1001 Catherine Weaver, then I'm not going to be interested.
It's funny you should mention the t.v series. According to the timeline of the franchise, all the movies that happen after T2 doesn't actually take place or happen.

bunnielovekins

Mar 1, 2013
Why? Why is this necessary? Not going to see this in a million years.

Then again, it kind of makes sense.
Terminator was hilariously 80s, with the style and the hair and the bad animatronics.
Terminator 2 was hilariously 90s, with the sassy 90s kid and the badass female.
Terminator 3 was hilariously 00s, with its washed-out aesthetic and bad self-referential humour.
(Not going to mention salvation)

This new one would be perfectly indicative of the age, just like its predecessors; we are in the age of reboots, this is a reboot. Studios are trying as hard as they can to leverage recognisable names for a little more security, and we have arnie crow-barred in at all costs.

So maybe we're just getting the terminator we deserve.