Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Sequel Teased

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Sequel Teased

Some promotional art showing Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2 has gotten out, featuring bipedal robots fighting aliens (in Vietnam).

The original Blood Dragon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10317-Far-Cry-3-Blood-Dragon-Review-Unapologetically-80s] was announced last year on April Fools Day, so it's only fitting that some info has "leaked" some information regarding a sequel this year. Jason Eisener, friend of Blood Dragon's creative director Dean Evans, posted a Tweet, announcing that the "Blood Dragon soundtrack by Power Glove coming soon!" Eisner's Tweet was accompanied by the image you'll see to the right, and while the soundtrack itself certainly looks very interesting, what is even more interesting is the image on the computer in the background, showing a wallpaper for Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2.

Fans of Blood Dragon will remember that the Vietnam War 2 is an event mentioned, although never shown, in the original game, and while it clearly says Blood Dragon 3 and not the more logical Blood Dragon 2, well, skipping number 2 and going straight to 3 wouldn't be the strangest thing in Blood Dragon.

Evans himself then followed up with sick artwork [https://twitter.com/SpleenZilla/statuses/450879922068664320] of the Vietnam War 2, featuring a giant bipedal robot fighting off the Xenomorphs from Aliens and the bugs of Starship Troopers. "This would be a killer game/movie/comic/revolution," he said, adding the #vietnamwar2 hashtag.

While ordinarily, a logo and some artwork are far from confirmation, the very nature of Blood Dragon means we should probably keep an eye on this one, to see if it develops into anything.

Source: Game Informer [https://twitter.com/SpleenZilla/status/450879922068664320/photo/1]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ditching the Farcry 3 prefix?

I wonder if this will be a good as the first game, being a separate development instead of a 'breather project' by some devs.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Do we need this? Didn't Blood Dragon work precisely BECAUSE it was a fairly short one-off spoof? Wouldn't this be like taking a perfectly good joke that made everyone laugh and drawing it out, telling it over and over again, adding more lines and needlessly complicating it, in hopes that it'll make people laugh for longer, and in the end results in one bad joke?

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
With the previous one, it was kind of a shame that everyone already knew it existed before it was announced (it leaked to some torrent site, I believe).

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
OH MY GOD, I WANT THAT RECORD SO BAD! Here's hoping it'll be at my local Record Store Day!

OT: I'm down with another Blood Dragon. The first one was excellent, if a bit drawn out at times. If they can pull off the same humor and vibe while filing down some of the rougher edges, it should be great.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Portal 2 wasn't as good as Portal 1, but they were both still fun games and I in no way regret either purchase. I'm suspicious that in the same way as with Portal, Blood Dragon's sequel (whatever its insane naming convention ends up being) wont be quite as groundbreaking or tightly paced as the original, but that it also doesn't need to be. It just has to be cheesy, fun, and worth my time and money.

General suggestion: wait for real reviews to come out before you buy it (the objective ones tend to start showing up about a day or two after the official release date) instead of pre-ordering it, and if you end up not wanting it after all, don't get mad at the devs. Video game production is weird. If you do still want it at that point, then you're probably got an awesome game on your hands. Simple, right?

Long story short: I hope this is real, but I'm not going to assume it's the second coming until people whose opinions I trust have actually played the thing and said stuff about it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm not sure if the pacing was really that tight for Blood Dragon (besides taking the skill allocation and just crunching it down into a one way progression path) because after they let you hit the open world there's almost zero cues as to which objectives you should aim for next as opposed to which ones are way too difficult to try before the others, but somehow a joke spinoff of FC3 became significantly better balanced in terms of difficulty compared to FC3 by removing most of the cheap tricks like being able to attack entire bases from dense stealth cover, and having extremely powerful gear with silencers that could take down heavy units.

There wasn't any sufficient explanation for one thing, though: since they exchanged knife steal takedowns with shuriken takedowns, it implied that you were just carrying an unlimited amount of shurikens around all the time and only chose to use their instakilling powers in a situation where it would look extremely cool, as opposed to just beaning every target with them from a distance.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
I'm guessing the writer's never seen Robocop to recognise ED-209 when he says "Giant bipedal robot"

Can't wait for this to be real, hopefully it'll capture the spark of insanity that made the first game work.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
As long as it retains the 80's future cheesiness and the fact that it does not even slightly take itself seriously that made the first game great then I will happily buy it

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
This could work if they keep it as a short game, and perhaps focusing the jokes on new archetypes (like a new kind of protagonist).

If it doesn't work on the "joke" department, at the very least I can say that FarCry gameplay with lots and lots of neon is kind of awesome by default.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Does Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2 just sound like an absurd football score to anyone else?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, I would have preffered if they took some other Ubisoft franchise and made a quick ridiculous spin-off re-using its assets. Even Blood Dragon got a bit tiring by the end of it and it was a very short game.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
i kind of like what Ubisoft is doing recently with the ridiculous spinoffs. anyone want to see a splinter cell game in which you get to kill Hitler? and maybe they could make an actual splinter cell game instead of whatever the hell blacklist was

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Dinosorcerer said:
i kind of like what Ubisoft is doing recently with the ridiculous spinoffs. anyone want to see a splinter cell game in which you get to kill Hitler? and maybe they could make an actual splinter cell game instead of whatever the hell blacklist was
Screw that, I want a blaxploitation Assassin's Creed that takes place in 1970's Harlem, New York, where you play as an Assassin who's also a member of the Black Panthers, complete with 70's funk and soul soundtrack and the theme song to it being "Am I Black Enough For You?" by Billy Paul and the character being voiced by none other than Fred Williamson. You do the leap of faith into dumpsters and assassinate those evil crackas from the Templars for trying to hold your soul brothas down.

...or maybe I'm just extremely weird like that.

But to get back on topic, I look forward to Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2, and hope it continues the traditions built in Blood Dragon.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
weirdee said:
There wasn't any sufficient explanation for one thing, though: since they exchanged knife steal takedowns with shuriken takedowns, it implied that you were just carrying an unlimited amount of shurikens around all the time and only chose to use their instakilling powers in a situation where it would look extremely cool, as opposed to just beaning every target with them from a distance.
Surely that's the point though? Like how I apparently could carry as many hearts as I wanted, I must have been carrying round a backpack full of the fucking things

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Me55enger said:
Does Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2 just sound like an absurd football score to anyone else?
Oh, great. Now every time I see that title I'm going to read it in the voice of the guy who does (or did) the classifieds on BBC.

"And now, the Ubisoft Conference Premier:

Blood Dragon: 3 - Vietnam War: 2"