Star Wars Episode VII: Is Oxford Student Ben Kenobi's Descendant?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Star Wars Episode VII: Is Oxford Student Ben Kenobi's Descendant?

If so, this will be the first time on the big screen for Maisie Richardson-Sellers.

Star Wars Episode VII has started filming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133429-Report-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-May-Return-to-Tatooine], and while most of the cast have been chosen - not officially confirmed, mind you, but Disney has a secret file locked away in its deepest dungeon guarded by Pluto himself with all the details - not every part has been filled yet. Among the missing is Ben Kenobi's descendant, who's meant to meet Luke, Han and Leia's kids and (presumably) save the universe together. But if Hollywood can be believed, the most likely candidate for this role is Oxford student Maisie Richardson-Sellers. If she gets it, this will be her big screen debut.

She's a stage actress, appearing at the Oxford Playhouse for the most part, with side trips to the co-founded [http://edfringereview.com/e/TxlINCQkS_ukGWW8XDx6yg] a theatre company of her own; if you happen to have lived in London in the past couple years, you may have seen her Footprint Company in action.

This is all speculation at the moment, just like pretty much everything else to do with Star Wars Episode VII. However it'd be interesting to see it happen; a virtual unknown could have a lot of fun with a major role like this, particularly since it'd carry on for the next few movies in the franchise. Abrams does have a history of casting unknowns, and he's the one who wrote the script. It's certainly a career maker, if she can pull it off.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-vii-speculation-693268]

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Ben Kenobi's descendant? Has this been confirmed?

That's pretty much pissing on his grave. After all that "living the way of the Jedi" and not allowing romantic feelings, how the f did ben end up with a kid?

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
She is clearly descendant from Lando Calrissian, he is the only black guy in the galaxy far far away.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Well to be fair she could as easily be a sister's grandkid, or something along those lines. It's not very clear. Nothing about this entire song-and-dance has been very clear, which is almost certainly part of its marketing strategy.

Incidentally for those of you out there thinking 'Sellers? Any relation to Peter?' the answer's no, at least as far as I can tell.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hawkeye21 said:
She is clearly descendant from Lando Calrissian, he is the only black guy in the galaxy far far away.
Maybe Lando and Kenobi had a romantic encounter, Star Wars has some weird shit so two guys having a baby is probably not too crazy. Maybe she's some sort of weird clone that he had commissioned when he was in that cloning place, although it would spoil my head-canon where the prequels never happened.

It seems weird that he would have a direct descendant though so maybe she is a niece and we are to believe that Kenobi had a sibling he didn't talk about or DUN DUN DUUUUN he thought was dead. And they are Khan.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That. Is. Bullshit. I mean, the idea is bullshit. Even if old Ben Kenobi had family, he would not know who they were. He was taken as a baby, just like the rest of the Jedi of the period. He had no contact with his family after that. He wouldn't even know who they are.

Such a stupid idea if it's true. I agree with Hawkeye 21 on this. Clearly it's Lando's git.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
NLS said:

That's pretty much pissing on his grave. After all that "living the way of the Jedi" and not allowing romantic feelings, how the f did ben end up with a kid?
That's pretty much the first thing I thought of when I read "Ben Kenobi's Descendant."

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
She certainly looks like a strong confident person in that picture of her, rather than cutesy damsel in distress, so that's something to look forward to.

My ideal situation would be to see her kick Solo in the balls for calling her toots or something.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
That's got to be a mistake. I don't even think Lucas himself could come up with an idea that bad...

*rewatches Attack of the Clones*

... well probably not again anyway...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing maybe a distance descendant like maybe she is link from Kenobi relative, not directly from Kenobi himself?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
NLS said:

Well if Wookiepedia is to believed Obi-Wan did have several romantic or nearly-romantic relationships, and also descendant doesn't necessarily mean *direct* descendant. We're also talking about a universe where cloning is a thing. That all said, I think it's generally pretty weak writing when every character needs to be linked to another.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Maybe Lando and Kenobi had a romantic encounter, Star Wars has some weird shit so two guys having a baby is probably not too crazy. Maybe she's some sort of weird clone that he had commissioned when he was in that cloning place, although it would spoil my head-canon where the prequels never happened.

It seems weird that he would have a direct descendant though so maybe she is a niece and we are to believe that Kenobi had a sibling he didn't talk about or DUN DUN DUUUUN he thought was dead. And they are Khan.
Well, that still makes a lot more sense than the prequel trilogy

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Baresark said:
That. Is. Bullshit. I mean, the idea is bullshit. Even if old Ben Kenobi had family, he would not know who they were. He was taken as a baby, just like the rest of the Jedi of the period. He had no contact with his family after that. He wouldn't even know who they are.

Such a stupid idea if it's true. I agree with Hawkeye 21 on this. Clearly it's Lando's git.
But thank goodness they've gone down the route of 'let's just shoehorn every previous character into the new movie in some form of reference'

Lord knows what would happen if they actually tried to come up with new original characters on their own independent journeys through the mythical galaxy. Next thing you know they'll be leaving Tatooine to visit other planets, or using a named spaceship besides the Millenium Falcon, or (Heaven forbid) having new alien characters that are more than single scene appearances to handwave a plot point and then are forgotten about forever.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
...Eh? He had...children? No he didn't.

...Did he? I fear this does not make any sense. I don't see why they'd choose to add a character with such a tenuous and bewildering origin story. Doesn't it make sense to have her be...almost anybody else?

Mahorfeus said:
So all of that KenobixVentress fanfiction has some merit?
I hadn't realized that sort of thing existed. It's looking like a whisky day today.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It better not be a direct decendant, it's not canon that Obi Wan had any kids, and it'd be totally out of his character because he was so damn "Old Order" Jedi he shat Yodas. (And yes, you're now picturing Old Ben Kenobi with Yodas flying out of his ass giving that little laugh of his). No way would he have screwed a female on the side.

Aside from it being out of character to have a kid, this reeks of throwing in a character for name recognition to get asses in seats. Abrams did all that shit in Star Trek... ("Tribbles and Green girls, they'll remember those, let's put em in!")

Disney also has a nasty habit of targeting demographics for Maximum Moichanising [http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/1526_3.jpg], and they're milking their existing princess stable for all they're worth, eager to add more.

Disney and Abrams are a danger to the franchise as much as Lucas, but in a different way, all the characters could be "supercharged and screaming" like in Star Trek. Hopefully, all the people they're bringing in from the original movies can tell them "No" when they need to hear it as they did during IV to VI.

CardinalPiggles said:
She certainly looks like a strong confident person in that picture of her, rather than cutesy damsel in distress, so that's something to look forward to.

My ideal situation would be to see her kick Solo in the balls for calling her toots or something.
That was Leia in the originals, but the sarcastic smart-ass tough girl character is such an overused trope it's really painful to see if they aren't written correctly, but Abrams isn't subtle about character traits at all.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Well it's JJ Abrams so breaking canon is kind of what he does. Well okay only for Star Trek so far but why not screw up Star Wars too? A lot of people will still see it. I'll still see it. I probably won't see it until it shows up on Netflix, but i'll still watch it at some point.

Now what i'd pay to see is a prequel for Knights of the Old Republic where they track down Revan. Written by the guys who wrote Knights of the Old Republic. That would get many of my dollars.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Oh good, "According to sources" none of which are named "she is in line to grab an undisclosed role" okay so we have no idea who she's going to play even if the sources are correct. "one of the roles yet to be filled is a descendant of Obi wan" So a completely unrelated role that we have no way of knowing if she is going to play.

Okay so to make things clear, Unknown sources are saying that this girl is going to play an unknown role. But there is a role for Obi Wan's descendent and that gets fans angry so lets connect all these unsubstantial threads together so we can get clicks without any real evidence, cause that's how movie news works.