Benedict Cumberbatch Rules out Dr. Who & Star Wars: Episode VII Roles

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Benedict Cumberbatch Rules out Dr. Who & Star Wars: Episode VII Roles

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
This is only good news for me. Maybe I've watched the wrong things, but I've yet to see anything to suggest he has any sort of range. Also, throwing old horse-face into Episode VII just to appeal to his shrieking fanbase wouldn't fill me with confidence in the project. Did anyone see Into Darkness?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
That's a shame. Benedict Cumberbatch would have made a great Grand Admiral Thrawn.

And yes, I know Thrawn was most relevant five years after Episode VI and that Episode VII will take place thirty years after that movie, but I also know that Disney is not going to stick to the established timeline of the expanded universe. That's not a gripe, it's just a fact.

Don't believe me? Three words: Death Star conception.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
debtcollector said:
This is only good news for me. Maybe I've watched the wrong things, but I've yet to see anything to suggest he has any sort of range. Also, throwing old horse-face into Episode VII just to appeal to his shrieking fanbase wouldn't fill me with confidence in the project. Did anyone see Into Darkness?
I personally liked him in Into Darkness. xD

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Alex Co said:
debtcollector said:
Oh he wasn't the problem with Into Darkness, but I don't think he really helped the movie either. It seemed too much like they threw him in there just because his name would fill seats.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
debtcollector said:
Alex Co said:
debtcollector said:
Oh he wasn't the problem with Into Darkness, but I don't think he really helped the movie either. It seemed too much like they threw him in there just because his name would fill seats.
really? because i never who he was until Into Darkness...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Too bad. I just finished watching Sherlock recently and I think he'd have made an interesting Doctor.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'm more upset about his lack of involvement in star wars than doctor who. i think capaldi will do a great job as the doctor, and i don't want him to leave any time soon. but i think cumberbatch has the voice for darker characters, i thought he was pretty decent in into darkness and his smaug voice was fantastic, so he could have been worked into star wars fair easily. although he only mentioned not being invoved in epsisode VII, so there's room for the later ones i guess

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
templar1138a said:
That's a shame. Benedict Cumberbatch would have made a great Grand Admiral Thrawn.

And yes, I know Thrawn was most relevant five years after Episode VI and that Episode VII will take place thirty years after that movie, but I also know that Disney is not going to stick to the established timeline of the expanded universe. That's not a gripe, it's just a fact.

Don't believe me? Three words: Death Star conception.
I prefer Michael Fassbender for Thrawn. Cumberbatch would make a better Talon Karrde, I think.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
templar1138a said:
I was thinking the same thing. If he does find a role in any of the new Star Wars films, no doubt will he be playing an officer in the Imperial remnant.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I like him from into darkness and sherlock, the dude can give do dialogs like no other. He would make an interesting James Bond too.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
To hell withj him playing the Doctor, after the great voice work he did with Smaug and Sauron I want him to play the Master.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Alex Co said:
With Sherlock creator Mark Gatiss also being the showrunner for the BBC's Dr. Who TV series...
Umm, that's Steven Moffat you're thinking of there.

Kinda disappointed, but I guess it makes sense, in a way. Though, there's been a Doctor Who and Star Trek crossover comic, so there could be hope? Maybe?

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
redisforever said:
Alex Co said:
With Sherlock creator Mark Gatiss also being the showrunner for the BBC's Dr. Who TV series...
Umm, that's Steven Moffat you're thinking of there.

Kinda disappointed, but I guess it makes sense, in a way. Though, there's been a Doctor Who and Star Trek crossover comic, so there could be hope? Maybe?
Frick! Thanks for the correction! Changed it. =)

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Cumberbatch should make his own sci-fantasy series, with blackjack, and hookers. Seriously, if it was just him wandering around the universe issuing parking tickets or something equally mundane, I'd watch it.

Hmm... are they making a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series anytime soon?

Oct 20, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Too bad. I just finished watching Sherlock recently and I think he'd have made an interesting Doctor.
I can agree with that, but I would prefer more Sherlock. I like Him a lot, and I am happy to not get over-saturated.
I am also glad to hear that SOMEBODY involved with Trek and Wars understands that what these two franchised DON"T need is to share the same actors as well as the same Director. J.J. loves star wars, great. He already made two good star wars movies with Kirk and Spock, let him have the real Wars Universe, more power to him.

If we start getting the same actors though, you can kiss one of the franchises goodbye. I'd bet it's Trek, because Disney can pump enough money into Star Wars to feed Africa for a decade. Maybe we can get a feature length Sherlock Holmes movie with Sherlock Holmes in it, instead of "The Adventures of Tony Stark in the 19th Century," complete with machine-pistols and explosions. Those were fun movies, but Sherlock Holmes they were NOT.

I'm all for MoAr Cumberbatch, but he can't be ALL the peoples.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Fine by me, I think Cumberbatch is one of the most overrated actors of this era. He's great in Sherlock... and not much else. Yeah, he's sexy, so is his voice, and I've heard he's a fun, quirky person in real life, but I really don't think the guy has much for stage presence. Frankly, the only movie I've seen where I enjoyed his acting was The Hobbit. I wouldn't object to him getting more voice-work, as I think that's where he works best.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I think that's a good thing. Given how well known Cumberbatch is now it wold seem a bit like stunt casting to have him take on the role of the Doctor in a kind of "look who we've got playing the Doctor now! It's Sherlock! How awesome is that!?" Plus, our new Doctor has not even made his first full appearance yet so it really is a bit soon to be talking about who would play him next.