Saturn Is Spawning Another Moon

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Saturn Is Spawning Another Moon

Our solar system is expecting another body very soon, as mass from Saturn's rings clump together into a new moon.

With all our research into the distant reaches of space, it's easy to forget that there's still interesting astronomical activity going on right on our doorstep. Saturn, a planet that could already have its own episode on Cosmic Hoarders with 62 moons, is working on number 63 at this very moment. Recent findings from NASA detected a bulge in Saturn's outermost ring, which seems to be the early stages of moon creation.

Saturn's rings are composed of a whole lot of rock and ice, so it's got quite a bit of mass. The new moon (which hasn't been directly seen yet) is the result of this matter slowly accreting, gaining mass and increasing its gravitational pull to gain more mass. At this point it's large enough for us to detect, but still relatively tiny, measuring only half a mile in diameter. It's still growing, though, and it has plenty of time to collect more mass before it eventually drifts out of the rings.

The moon hasn't been formally classified, so the very serious scientists at NASA have given it a very serious nickname: Peggy. Once little Peggy finishes growing up and leaves the nest, it'll get a more official (and probably less adorable) name.

Scientists speculate that Peggy may be the last moon Saturn ever forms, keeping the total number just short of a nice even 64. There's only so much matter in the rings, and while they aren't in any danger of disappearing, it's unlikely that any more moons will be able to form from what's left after Peggy leaves.

Source: TIME [http://time.com/63356/saturn-new-moon/]

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
This reads somewhat like a gossip magazine discussing a celebrity baby. And that's okay with me.

"Peggy: Boy or Girl?" and "Is Jupiter the father AGAIN?" spring to mind.

ADDENDUM: It's still cool to think something as dynamic as a moon forming is happening in my lifetime. Space. Is cool!

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Interesting. They should take the opportunity to make a documentary on how moons are formed.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
We must designate this moon as an ENEMY PLANET. The Ring Peoples of Saturnalia require our swift assistance. The Fate of the F ring DEPENDS ON YOU. Will you stand with the Saturnalians against Moonhicular Genocide?

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Good luck, Penny. We're all counting on you.

Seriously, how cool is this to see a moon forming in our lifetimes? I'd love to know when this last happened to any of the planets. I'll have to go look that up.

EDIT - The answer isn't readily available. If I turn up anything, I'll post it here for any fellow astronomy geeks. ;)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I'm curious why they think this is the last moon Saturn will form. Is "Peggy" going to devour the entire mass of the rings, or is there some critical mass of rings necessary to start moon accretion?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
I'm curious why they think this is the last moon Saturn will form. Is "Peggy" going to devour the entire mass of the rings, or is there some critical mass of rings necessary to start moon accretion?
I believe 'Peggy' is forming on the last place a ring-formed moon can form, the inner part is too close to Saturn itself and the outer areas either already have moons which would eat any new formation.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know, between the blood moon last night and the formation of a new moon near Saturn, I and every other Dead Space fan would like to say the following, "AAAAHHHHH!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! EVERYBODY, RUN FOR YOUR PATHETIC, WORHTLESS, FUCKING LIVES!!!" *proceeds to run away screaming while flapping his arms like an idiot*

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I wonder how long it'll take before it stops picking up new material? A few million years?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So wait, is this something that could actually occur in our lifetimes? I'm not entirely sure what the timescale for this sort of thing is.

Madner Kami

Jan 14, 2013
Olas said:
So wait, is this something that could actually occur in our lifetimes? I'm not entirely sure what the timescale for this sort of thing is.
It currently is occuring and probably occured since quite a time now and will, of course, continue to occure for a "couple" more years than your life is realistically going to be. None of us will see "Peggy" in it's final stages, though it will slowly grow while you and I are watching.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Porygon-2000 said:
This reads somewhat like a gossip magazine discussing a celebrity baby. And that's okay with me.
Well, what are planets if not wannabe stars?

thiosk said:
We must designate this moon as an ENEMY PLANET. The Ring Peoples of Saturnalia require our swift assistance. The Fate of the F ring DEPENDS ON YOU. Will you stand with the Saturnalians against Moonhicular Genocide?
Do the ring people have any resource we can exploit?

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
How is Moony Formed?
How is Moony Formed? How palnet get moon rokc?

Olas said:
Given the amount of time it takes for any sort of cosmological event to happen, I doubt any of us will live to see this body attain a distinct orbit of its own, let alone finish accreting matter.

Still... Cool!

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So this will be the 63rd moon, eh? It should be given a name that can be either masculine or feminine then, as per the rule. (If I really have to tell you which rule, then I am VERY disappointed in you.)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Idsertian said:
TheSYLOH said:
How is Moony Formed?
How is Moony Formed? How palnet get moon rokc?
They need to do way instain palnet, who krill their moony!

In all seriousness, Its such an exiting opportunity to observe accretion in an analog system reflecting planet formation.