Saturn Is Spawning Another Moon

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
So this will be the 63rd moon, eh? It should be given a name that can be either masculine or feminine then, as per the rule. (If I really have to tell you which rule, then I am VERY disappointed in you.)
That... is actually genius. Consider my hat tipped in your general direction, sir.

thiosk said:
They need to do way instain palnet, who krill their moony!

In all seriousness, Its such an exiting opportunity to observe accretion in an analog system reflecting planet formation.
Because there moony cant frigth back?!

And yes, it is pretty cool to know that the solar system is still busy making things, billions of years after its formation.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
That can happen!?

You know, space is neat.
You've heard about the coffee grinds in space thing, right? Even random little bits of matter will start to swirl around other things in accordance to size and orientation, clumping and achieving its own kind of orbits. It's really neat and...I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
FalloutJack said:
-Dragmire- said:
That can happen!?

You know, space is neat.
You've heard about the coffee grinds in space thing, right? Even random little bits of matter will start to swirl around other things in accordance to size and orientation, clumping and achieving its own kind of orbits. It's really neat and...I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
My knowledge of astronomy is quite limited. While I do find it interesting, it wasn't something I actively looked into. With that in mind, my initial thoughts on Saturn's rings was that the debris was almost unchanging, locked in orbit.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
FalloutJack said:
-Dragmire- said:
That can happen!?

You know, space is neat.
My knowledge of astronomy is quite limited. While I do find it interesting, it wasn't something I actively looked into. With that in mind, my initial thoughts on Saturn's rings was that the debris was almost unchanging, locked in orbit.
Perfectly understandable. As it happens, though, there's always some sort of influence to account for. We push satellites into orbit and they need the occasional adjustment and refueling. So, if they're not locked and the moon does change its orbit here and there, this would hold true for other worlds. Saturn attracts debris and sometimes has debris fall in it, and I guess in this case some of the debris that was heavy enough got close enough to each other (They're actually separated a relatively large space apart.) to pull together.