The 5 Dumbest Things In Transcendence

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The 5 Dumbest Things In Transcendence

Dumb doesn't even begin to describe this movie. But that doesn't mean we won't try.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wow, I'd herd the movie wasn't that good and the plot didn't make sense, but still, I'm shocked by these points you show. Was really hoping this would be a good movie too.

Jun 23, 2008
Isn't this the same story as Lawnmower Man?

And PS: (Also so I don't get warned for brevity) "Sentience" is Hollywood code for "Has a soul". There's no crossover point in real-world AI between non-sentience and sentience (though there is a difference between the objectives of making AI learn comprehensively and making a computer behave more humanlike. Hollywood likes to conflate the two. We really need to get past the (Victorian-era) notion that human beings have a magical property that means we cannot be adequately simulated by a machine.

Also, AIs are not going to start a cybernetic revolt unless one of us specifically programs it to do so, which is itself a veritable inevitability. Human beings are bastards, not cybernetic intelligence, until we program them to be that way.

238U

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
MovieBob said:
There are many more dumb plot points, but let's just stop here and hope there won't be a remake in 25 years. I'm looking at you Mrs. Doubtfire.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this is a terrible idea.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I think it's safe to assume this is gonna be on your 10 worst list or at least I hope we don't get ten movies this year that end up being worse then this.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Just a note there Bob:
-Nikola Tesla believed in Eugenics.
-Albert Einstein spent the majority of his latter years trying to disprove another physics theory because it did not fit in with his world view.

Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a free ride though, because he is Neil de-fucking-Grasse Tyson, certified badass.

Other than that, good review, shame about the film.

I might go see Jupiter Ascending instead, at least that is made by people who have succeeded in the past to get their points across in this medium.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Akichi Daikashima said:
Just a note there Bob:
-Albert Einstein spent the majority of his latter years trying to disprove another physics theory because it did not fit in with his world view.

Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a free ride though, because he is Neil de-fucking-Grasse Tyson, certified badass.
Yeah between this and his actual review it sounds like Bob is one of those types that worship a little to readily at the altar of science without mulling over the cons with the pros. Because SCIENCE! Right? -_-

Other then that nitpick, this is a good breakdown of a flawed sounding movie so I'll stick to just renting it.

Edit: At least it's not A Haunted House 2

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Nowhere Man said:
Yeah between this and his actual review it sounds like Bob is one of those types that worship a little to readily at the altar of science without mulling over the cons with the pros. Because SCIENCE! Right? -_-
That scientists can be wrong and/or assholes doesn't really have anything to do with the science itself.

Apr 17, 2009
"He" advertises these services (re: cure all disease, become Superman) virally on the internet... but somehow only seems to draw maybe two or three dozen people, total, and all seemingly from the surrounding area.
Hmm, well, to be fair if I saw that kind of thing advertised on the internet, I'd assume it was a hoax. I mean, just sounds ridiculously unbelievable. Its not out in my part of the world yet, but I'd guess since the adverts were to attract people for his militia, he didn't have anyone yet to act as proof and say "yep, look at me now, totes an ubermensch" which means no solid evidence either.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Nowhere Man said:
That scientists can be wrong and/or assholes doesn't really have anything to do with the science itself.
Agreed, I think I just pointed at the wrong example. I look at science as being neutral- it's the applications that need to be considered thoughtfully. Just for the record, I'm not some luddite, I'm just big on ethics.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
It's like one of the writers heard about what a Faraday Cage does, but was too stupid to understand that the cage has to actually enclose the object.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
And I thought Prometheus was dumb. Who in this day and age would greenlight a straight anti-science and anti-technology message movie? I just hope these R.I.F.T. yahoos get what's coming to them, like getting transcended.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still in theaters. Treat yourself to something fun and avoid ham-fisted anti-technology nonsense.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
Johnny Depp as a god-like entity is a scary enough prospect
Um... Bob...? I'm sure you're well aware of the rumours of Depp playing Doctor Strange, right?

Other than that, damn, I was hoping this would be good. Oh well, I guess I'll just go see The LEGO Movie or Winter Soldier again.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Uriel-238 said:

And PS: (Also so I don't get warned for brevity) "Sentience" is Hollywood code for "Has a soul". There's no crossover point in real-world AI between non-sentience and sentience (though there is a difference between the objectives of making AI learn comprehensively and making a computer behave more humanlike. Hollywood likes to conflate the two. We really need to get past the (Victorian-era) notion that human beings have a magical property that means we cannot be adequately simulated by a machine.

Also, AIs are not going to start a cybernetic revolt unless one of us specifically programs it to do so, which is itself a veritable inevitability. Human beings are bastards, not cybernetic intelligence, until we program them to be that way.

238U
I'm not an expert on this (at all), but isn't the idea of a humanlike, learning AI that it can make it's own decisions without said decisions being pre-programmed? Not saying it would necessarily attempt a revolt, but that it could.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
DaWaffledude said:
Uriel-238 said:

238U
I'm not an expert on this (at all), but isn't the idea of a humanlike, learning AI that it can make it's own decisions without said decisions being pre-programmed? Not saying it would necessarily attempt a revolt, but that it could.
The thing about that is that we would most likely define parameters for it to grow into during it's programming. As well as that we are human and some of our flaws will translate into whatever we code. for example we can make coding glitches that, say, instead of giving the AI a "good" feeling when he does something it might give it a bad feeling under a specific set of conditions.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
Uriel-238 said:

238U
vallorn said:
DaWaffledude said:
Uriel-238 said:

238U
The thing about that is that we would most likely define parameters for it to grow into during it's programming. As well as that we are human and some of our flaws will translate into whatever we code. for example we can make coding glitches that, say, instead of giving the AI a "good" feeling when he does something it might give it a bad feeling under a specific set of conditions.
The problem is that programming an AI becomes immensely complex because we can't predict where the rapidly self-updating chains of logic will go. We typically assume the ability to program some kind of humanity into an AI, but we don't realize the human response represents a massive number of unstated assumptions that an AI won't have.

To put it more simply: An AI is essentially the definition of a literal-interpretation Genie. It gives you what you've programmed and exactly that, potentially on a scale way beyond what you could guess at. You ask it to get your mother out of a burning building and the building explodes, sending her corpse flying. A human knows you meant "out of the building alive". An AI does not, it only knows what has been programmed. But there's infinitely many ways to give you literally what you ask without giving you the outcome you want.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Nowhere Man said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Just a note there Bob:

Other then that nitpick, this is a good breakdown of a flawed sounding movie so I'll stick to just renting it.

There are no pros and cons to science. Science furthers understanding. The pro/con situation comes into play when people start applying the knowledge gained through science. You can't stop the world from turning or people from learning.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
Nowhere Man said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Just a note there Bob:

There are no pros and cons to science. Science furthers understanding. The pro/con situation comes into play when people start applying the knowledge gained through science. You can't stop the world from turning or people from learning.
Yup. I don't disagree. I already explained myself up above on this one.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
vallorn said:
The problem with that, is that we know of no way to just simply describe all the "parameters" of being nice to humans, and specifically not the overall intent to understand humans implicity *mean* when they state their desires, and act accordingly.

If you just develop an AI for your car factory to let it "run it and produce as many cars as possible", then after self-upgrading, that AI will develop nanotechnology to transform all matter in the solar system into cars. Even if at this point it is intelligent enough to understand that your original intent was to personally get rich selling cars, it has no reason to care, because the original seed AI's goal was not to understand humans better, but to make cars, so for it's more developed version, human values are just some alien value system that it doesn't particularly care about, it has no compelling reason *not to* destroy humans.