Call of Duty Loser Sends SWAT Team To Victor's House

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty Loser Sends SWAT Team To Victor's House

A victorious Call of Duty player was rewarded for his effort with a visit from the local SWAT team after the loser reported that he'd murdered his mother.

Shortly after Rafael Castillo of Long Beach, New York dropped the hammer in an online match of Call of Duty earlier this week, he received a visit from the police. And not just any police: It was the Nassau County SWAT team come a-calling, backed by regular officers - more than 60 in total.

They were responding to a call that purportedly came from Castillo himself, in which he claimed to have killed his mother and was gearing up to go on a rampage. But when they showed up, mom was actually in the kitchen. It turns out that he was a victim of "Swatting" - calling in a fake report of such seriousness that special operations forces are brought in to handle it.

"I thought there was a fire at my house. I ran up and saw my mom running out, I didn't know what was going on," Rafael's brother, Jose, told the New York Post. "Then one of the police officers said somebody called and said that the mother and brother of somebody in this house was killed. I said, 'How is that possible if she's right there and I'm right here?'"

It took police about 20 minutes to make contact with Rafael because he was still inside, playing video games with his headphones on. After confirming that it was a false alarm, police said it was likely that whoever placed the call traced Castillo's IP address to find out where he lives.

"It was probably just an evil little kid," an officer said. "It sucked up a lot of resources, caused traffic problems. It turned out to be a hoax."

My sympathy for the police is diminished somewhat by the fact that even though they acknowledged it was a prank, they took Castillo's computer anyway and presumably went over it with a fine-tooth comb, violating his digital privacy in just about every way imaginable. At the same time, sending a SWAT team on a wild goose chase like this is just beyond stupid; these guys go in hard and have a way of shooting at things that twitch the wrong way. Fun is fun, but sending in a paramilitary squad armed with automatic weapons is way over the line - which makes it even more alarming that it happens often enough to have its own name.

Police said they're still trying to track down the actual caller.

Source: New York Post [http://nypost.com/2014/04/22/call-of-duty-loser-calls-in-swat-team-hoax-on-kid-who-beat-him/]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
"traced the IP to find out where he lives" its like people don't even how the internet works. No geolocation service is that accurate. The kid had to give out his name, or some sort of personal information. Most likely something with facebook. The idea that "traced his IP" is absurd.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I really dislike the use of "no-life" as an insult, but holy crap - how empty must your life be that this seems like a reasonable thing to do to someone you've never met?

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I say find the caller and put his ass in jail. There's being a kid and doing stupid shit that you don't understand how much touble you'll get in for... And then there's DELIBERATELY ENDANGERING SOMEONE AND RISKING THEM GETTING KILLED BECAUSE YOU'RE BUTTHURT ABOUT LOSING A VIDEO GAME.

Nothing (sans maybe killing said caller) is too harsh here, maximum punishment, fuck him for being that stupid and angry and pointlessly vengeful.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
My sympathy for the police is diminished somewhat by the fact that even though they acknowledged it was a prank, they took Castillo's computer anyway and presumably went over it with a fine-tooth comb, violating his digital privacy in just about every way imaginable.
Only "somewhat"? The victim is effectively getting punished for the crime of someone who they knew wasn't even there. As for identifying the culprit, there was not likely any relevant information on that PC they couldn't have gotten by other means.

Gee, why do so many people distrust cops?

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
That guy's lucky SWAT didn't kill him, those trigger happy bastards have been known to shoot first and ask questions never if you look at them funny when they bust into your house.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
The way standard procedure works in a case like this (having cops/SWAT sent in under false pretenses) the taking of the computer is a voluntary thing. Specifically the police need permission to borrow the computer (which I am assuming what the game was one). Assuming they get it, they take it to the station for the purposes of having their IT people go over the hard-drive specifically to get information about the person that sent the false report (again, they would be informed of this during the time they ask for permission).
While I don't dispute any of this, if I'm a videogame-playing teenager and I'm suddenly faced by an entire squad of armed police officers, I don't think I'd be in any fit state to deny any "requests" that they may have.

And I'd also echo Scrump here and ask how they know this was done by a rival CoD player? Seriously, if tracing someone's address through a gaming account is THAT easy, I think I'm giving up online gaming for good.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
EiMitch said:
My sympathy for the police is diminished somewhat by the fact that even though they acknowledged it was a prank, they took Castillo's computer anyway and presumably went over it with a fine-tooth comb, violating his digital privacy in just about every way imaginable.
Only "somewhat"? The victim is effectively getting punished for the crime of someone who they knew wasn't even there. As for identifying the culprit, there was not likely any relevant information on that PC they couldn't have gotten by other means.

Gee, why do so many people distrust cops?
I figured they took the computer in order to trace the IP address back to the original douchebag.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
synobal said:
"traced the IP to find out where he lives" its like people don't even how the internet works. No geolocation service is that accurate. The kid had to give out his name, or some sort of personal information. Most likely something with facebook. The idea that "traced his IP" is absurd.
I really hope they got the Cyber Police in on this one.

Seriously, playing eeny, meeny, miny, moe with a phonebook would net better results than finding out someone's IP address.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zeren said:
Welcome to Police State America.
We'll make sure to take you off the list of "People To Assist When A Psychopath Reportedly Enters Their Home".

OT: I hope they track down the prankster and fine him for every penny he has.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Zeren said:
We'll make sure to take you off the list of "People To Assist When A Psychopath Reportedly Enters Their Home".

The police here have a 22 minute response time. Either I or the intruder would be dead by then.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Jesus! This is a thing now?!?!

What lunatic could ever possibly think this is a clever way to get back at someone?!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zeren said:
lacktheknack said:
Zeren said:

The police here have a 22 minute response time. Either I or the intruder would be dead by then.
Ergo, you don't want any police intervention.

...k.