Call of Duty Loser Sends SWAT Team To Victor's House

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Zeren said:
lacktheknack said:
Zeren said:
Welcome to Police State America.
We'll make sure to take you off the list of "People To Assist When A Psychopath Reportedly Enters Their Home".

OT: I hope they track down the prankster and fine him for every penny he has.
The police here have a 22 minute response time. Either I or the intruder would be dead by then.
Ergo, you don't want any police intervention.

...k.
Damn right I don't.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Police said they're still trying to track down the actual caller.
Confused Panda is confused. Doesn't the emergency services computers automatically trace the call, just in case the caller is interrupted?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ickorus said:
synobal said:
"traced the IP to find out where he lives" its like people don't even how the internet works. No geolocation service is that accurate. The kid had to give out his name, or some sort of personal information. Most likely something with facebook. The idea that "traced his IP" is absurd.
I really hope they got the Cyber Police in on this one.

Seriously, playing eeny, meeny, miny, moe with a phonebook would net better results than finding out someone's IP address.
It is what annoys me the most about this story. I've seen it all over the place now and no one even questions the assumption it was "a disgruntled COD player" who called the swat team. I'm seriously dubious about that. Maybe if he was playing Eve Online, I could believe that, eve players don't fuck around but COD players? come on.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
CriticKitten said:
....that's extremely dangerous for a number of reasons, but most importantly because it ties up police resources that need to be spent on other things.

The child who made that call should be arrested and charged with a felony. Teach the little shit a lesson.
Ya I kind of agree. Irrespective of that kids age. The victim or half his family could have been shot by a police team who are trained to a very high degree of readiness.

There are pranks and pranks.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Now hold on.... if someone who lost a CoD game did in fact call in the SWAT team on the victim's actual address, that would mean that either the caller knew the victim personally (in which case, why wasn't the caller immediately identified by the victim?) or the victim willingly gave his personal and address info to the caller (very unlikely).

No way that he could have traced the victim's IP address through a multiplayer CoD game - they are both connected to a server and the server doesn't share players' IP addresses with each other.

Sounds like the far more likely scenario is that the "victim" actually made the call himself as stupid prank, and then tried to shift the blame to "some sore loser who traced my IP with hacking magic on the internets!"

Sorry, this story smells. And I'm sure the cops were thinking exactly the same thing, and we're probably going to see a followup to the story confirming this.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Driving home last night, I passed by two Channel 7 News Vans. Turned the corner, drove half a block, and got out and walked into my house.

Yeah this happened less than a block from my home. Suffice to say, hearing about this on the news surprised me.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
XMark said:
Now hold on.... if someone who lost a CoD game did in fact call in the SWAT team on the victim's actual address, that would mean that either the caller knew the victim personally (in which case, why wasn't the caller immediately identified by the victim?) or the victim willingly gave his personal and address info to the caller (very unlikely).

No way that he could have traced the victim's IP address through a multiplayer CoD game - they are both connected to a server and the server doesn't share players' IP addresses with each other.

Sounds like the far more likely scenario is that the "victim" actually made the call himself as stupid prank, and then tried to shift the blame to "some sore loser who traced my IP with hacking magic on the internets!"

Sorry, this story smells. And I'm sure the cops were thinking exactly the same thing, and we're probably going to see a followup to the story confirming this.
Or maybe the info was obtained from his Steam profile or a link to his Facebook page was on it.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
008Zulu said:
Andy Chalk said:
Police said they're still trying to track down the actual caller.
Confused Panda is confused. Doesn't the emergency services computers automatically trace the call, just in case the caller is interrupted?
He did it over skype. And I imagine if he were able to find this guy's IP address, he will have at least used some kind of protection to hide his tracks.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
EndlessSporadic said:
This is why I hate the fps community. Full of 2 year old twats.
This is why I hate sweeping generalisations. Because everyone who plays shooters are children, of course. I don't play many shooters anymore, but the communities they have are no worse than what you'll find on mmos or mobas.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Happiness Assassin said:
He did it over skype. And I imagine if he were able to find this guy's IP address, he will have at least used some kind of protection to hide his tracks.
http://www.skype.com/en/legal/emergency-calling/

Not supported in the U.S, calling in from another country requires the purchase of call credits, which is easier to trace than automatic caller I.D used by emergency services.

So, maybe the cops should be a little less jack-booted and more computer savvy.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Truly CoD players are the worst. MOBA psychos at the very least have decency to kill someone mano-o-mano.

Just in case: That was a joke.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
synobal said:
"traced the IP to find out where he lives" its like people don't even how the internet works. No geolocation service is that accurate. The kid had to give out his name, or some sort of personal information. Most likely something with facebook. The idea that "traced his IP" is absurd.
No a simple IP trace does not give a mail address, but your ISP always keeps a log of IP's tied to accounts that used them and those accounts do have billing names and addresses, does take a lot of extra work but the information is attainable.
Another possibility is that your ISP is insanely dumb and their DNS provides partial information on your location, had this at uni where all their IP's would resolve to a web address which included your dorm, floor and room number ... pure fucking madness.

But I agree that the average disgruntled player will go no further then check peoples profile info and I'm betting the victim proudly put all his personal shit right in there, because no one takes protection of privacy seriously until something happens.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I agree with the notion of making the shitbag pay for this. And he will. My question is...will there be an 'accidental discharge' in the process?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Maybe Live/PSN could help. I know they keep chat logs. There HAD to have been some dialog between the prank caller and the victim.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Wait. Doesn't add up.

"A call of duty player called swat!"

"We don't know who called swat."

What? This article sounds fake to me.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
XMark said:

Most people maintain a significant presence online tied to their typical user name. This makes it incredibly easy to figure out personal information if your google-fu is strong and the mark is not careful about their online presence. You can find out all sorts of important information in less time than it takes to load a lol game, including name, address, nick name, age, what school they go to, what their job is, names of friends, etc. I know this because I have a friend who uses this to troll people on LoL games. He would claim to be someone they know, backed up by his knowledge of their real life, and pretend to be offended when they don't remember him. It is pretty hilarious, and it takes most people the entire game to realize what is going on.

The police probably just said "traced his IP" because it was something to say so they didn't sound clueless. Though I am not sure why we have any reason to believe that this is related to his COD playing.