Mario Kart 8 Review - What More Do You Want?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Mario Kart 8 Review - What More Do You Want?

Karting at its finest.

Read Full Article

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Double Dash had you recover faster from being hit too, and it was a big reason why I still prefer Mario Kart 64. I found it more satisfying when your actions had more impact, and that included timing the skidding and grinding as well, which they also lessened in DD somehow I remember. Though I haven't seen barely any thing of MK8 yet so won't judge till I see it for myself. I'll be very surprised if it tops MK64 game play.

Thanks for the details

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
if you found battle mode to be a key component of your Mario Kart experience then you'll probably find MK8's to be pretty disappointing. Instead of arenas, battle now takes place on the game's regular courses, with players being able to drive in either direction. It's a far cry from the interesting design of open arenas in previous games

Oh my God, this is happening: Nintendo is starting to learn how to use the internet and soon, they'll start selling arenas as DLCs for two bucks each, then they'll release the previous game's arenas as DLC as well, and before you know it, you'll have spent 20 bucks on a feature that should have been here from the get go.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Does it have a go go scooter?

Cuz if I can't make my brother cry while Yoshi is riding a go go scooter then I don't know why I should bother.

Besides the everything else of course.

Shayman

Mar 6, 2014
Not out til the 31st here in Australia :( Glad it will be worth the wait though!

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Wait... there were Mario Karts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?!! I remember the "Gameboy MarioKart" screenshots, but I thought that was an April Fool's joke. After that, nothing.

I know I'm not a console gamer, but I didn't think I was THIS out-of-touch. I feel as though I've missed a huge cultural paradigm now. :(

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
So good gameplay and a free game with it? Sounds good to me. Shame about the lack of arenas though...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Wait... there were Mario Karts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?!! I remember the "Gameboy MarioKart" screenshots, but I thought that was an April Fool's joke. After that, nothing.

I know I'm not a console gamer, but I didn't think I was THIS out-of-touch. I feel as though I've missed a huge cultural paradigm now. :(
In fairness, the only one that was actually numbered previously was Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS.

There was Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, and then Mario Kart 7.

But yeah, it's not exactly a small franchise, so beyond that I dunno what to say.

OT: I'm really iffy on spending $60 for Mario Kart, especially since the choice of free game that comes with it here in America is pretty limited and the one I would actually want is the one I already got a Wii U for anyway.

On the other hand, Nintendo never reduces the prices of their Mario and Zelda titles, so it might be worth jumping on now anyway considering that getting it for $40 in two years isn't really much of a difference...

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Does it still allow 2 players in split screen to play online? That was my favorite feature in Mariokart wii.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
DaViller said:
Does it still allow 2 players in split screen to play online? That was my favorite feature in Mariokart wii.
It does, and the servers were quite stable pre-launch. Ace feature.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
JonB said:
DaViller said:
It does, and the servers were quite stable pre-launch. Ace feature.
Yes thank you, this sounds nothing but awesome so far.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

In fairness, the only one that was actually numbered previously was Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS.

There was Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, and then Mario Kart 7.
Don't forget the original, Super Mario Kart! That game was a cornerstone of my childhood.

OT: Considering the new Wii U/Mario Kart 8 bundle, and the giveaway of a downloadable game with a MK8 purchase (or so I've heard), I may consider buying a Wii U later.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
marioandsonic said:
shrekfan246 said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

Don't forget the original, Super Mario Kart! That game was a cornerstone of my childhood.
Well of course not, I simply didn't mention it because the person I quoted was expressing amazement at all of the Mario Karts after Super Mario Kart. At least, I assume they knew of the existence of the original. At the very least maybe they thought Mario Kart 64 was the original? Oh well.

I do wonder why they decided to just switch over to numbering, but then when Mario Kart Double Dash had the most original name of the franchise I feel like it's not really that much of a step down as far as creativity is concerned.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I skipped MK7 because I got bored with the formula. Enough time's passed and now I'm itching for more kart racing. Plus I'm going to get Wind Waker HD for registering it. The end of May can't come soon enough.

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
To be honest, I'm not surprised they haven't changed anything major. I am exited though. I think I'll pick this up when I get the WiiU this Winter along with SSB4.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Last time I owned a Mario Kart was for the Nintendo 64, this one I've already pre-ordered, 15 days to go. I'm very excited about this. The MarioKart Direct was something that made my mind about this one, seems absolutely awesome!

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I feel like I've taken a long enough break from Nintendo games. I'm ready to get back into them again, and Mario Kart 8 seems like just the game to get a Wii U into my house.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

This isn't a slight at you, but I'm baffled that there are people out there who seriously don't know this stuff. I mean... It's Mario Kart. They've only had one for pretty much every single system since the Super Nintendo.

1 - Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992)
2 - Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1996)
3 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA, 2001)
4 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GameCube, 2003)
5 - Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
6 - Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)
7 - Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 2011)
8 - Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, 2014)

You might wanna pick up a Nintendo system or two. Even so, I didn't know it was possible to be a gamer and still be insulated enough from Nintendo happenings to not even know there was more than one Mario Kart game. Again, not insulting you, but... wow. That's about two decades behind the curve, man.