Mario Kart 8 Review - What More Do You Want?

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
VinLAURiA said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Wait... there were Mario Karts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?!! I remember the "Gameboy MarioKart" screenshots, but I thought that was an April Fool's joke. After that, nothing.

I know I'm not a console gamer, but I didn't think I was THIS out-of-touch. I feel as though I've missed a huge cultural paradigm now. :(
This isn't a slight at you, but I'm baffled that there are people out there who seriously don't know this stuff. I mean... It's Mario Kart. They've only had one for pretty much every single system since the Super Nintendo.

1 - Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992)
2 - Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1996)
3 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA, 2001)
4 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GameCube, 2003)
5 - Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
6 - Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)
7 - Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 2011)
8 - Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, 2014)

You might wanna pick up a Nintendo system or two. Even so, I didn't know it was possible to be a gamer and still be insulated enough from Nintendo happenings to not even know there was more than one Mario Kart game. Again, not insulting you, but... wow. That's about two decades behind the curve, man.
Evidently! My one exposure to Nintendo in the last fifteen years or so is "Wii Bowling". (Which, to be fair, is a lot of fun.) I'm just not the kind of gamer who sits with his family in the living room. As far as I've done any console gaming at all, it's been with my friends in someone's living room.

In my defence, "Gameboy Mario Kart" was indeed an April Fool's joke!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't really played mario kart since the original back on the snes, looks like its time to dive back into the series, just wish Birdo was still in the game, I've got a bit of a weakness for the weird lil guy/girl.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This looks like a vast improvement despite being "the same game". Then again the last time I played Mario Kart was on the N64.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Nintendo is really good at recycling. Still so many Mario games and he's one of the most boring, personality-lacking characters there is in gaming.
Mario Kart sure is fun with friends, so I guess this iteration is, too.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
While I am disappointed to hear that about battle mode, I'm gonna admit that it's not really something I'd spend that much time on anyway. It sort of wears thin for me after a few rounds compared to the races.

I hope they punched a lot of new roads into the existing tracks for that mode though, because driving around the entire track to hunt down one person sounds tedious.

Dec 16, 2009
i knew there were other MK's, didn't realise until the Wii U version was announced, that there were 8 of them. It's milked, but atleast its one per device and not one per yer.

I was getting this anyway, i'd been toying with the idea of getting it, and i've been curious to try Wonderful 101, the announcemet sealed the deal for me. least I now know the game will tick all the right boxes
EDIT: hang on, wasn't there an arcade version of MK too?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
mindfaQ said:
Nintendo is really good at recycling. Still so many Mario games and he's one of the most boring, personality-lacking characters there is in gaming.
Mario Kart sure is fun with friends, so I guess this iteration is, too.
2 words, Level Design.
So much this, I remember a few years ago when people wqere crying recycling over Mario Galaxy 2, having clearly never played what was an utter master piece of creative and ingenius 3D platforming design.

Nintendo are excellent at making the gameplay simple, engaging, challenging and well designed and structured.