TMNT Art Book Reveals New Splinter & Shredder

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
TMNT Art Book Reveals New Splinter & Shredder

TMNT's villain and mentor are revealed in new retrospective of franchise history.

The redesigns of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the new Michael Bay-produced live-action feature adaptation have met with mixed reactions from longtime fans; but thus far the film's other two (known) major characters, the evil Shredder and wise Master Splinter, have only been seen in fleeting glimpses.

Not anymore. Toy blog Idle Hands has an early look [http://idlehands1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/bea-2014-insight-into-teenage-mutant.html] at the upcoming art book TMNT: The Ultimate Visual History, which covers the evolution of the franchise from its beginnings to the present in unprecedented detail. From its pages they've culled the first good looks at the characters as they'll appear in the new movie (no official publicity stills have yet been released).

Of the two, Splinter will likely look the most familiar: A human-sized bipedal rat with gray/brown fur wearing a red-ish robe (the colors in the photo are a bit washed-out), he looks very close to his design from the first animated series. Shredder is a more dramatic overhaul, but still recognizable, with bulkier armor and larger blades than previous incarnations and a cape that appears to be itself made of razors. Tony Shalhoub is voicing Splinter, while William Fichtner is playing Erich Sachs - a nefarious businessman who becomes this iteration's version of The Shredder.

Source: Idle Hands [http://idlehands1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/bea-2014-insight-into-teenage-mutant.html]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I like how a show about freaking Ninja Turtles has been turned into this, at least from a visual design perspective.

I am so sick of this *gritty* aesthetic, why is having fun seen as so wrong? Why do things have to be turned into *gritty reboots* that make them absolutely awful to watch unless you are the stereotypical 15 year old male teenager?

What it looks like to me:

UUUUUUUGH SO GRITTY, UGH, FUCK YOU DAD!

[a href=http://alphabetofmanliness.com/images/aom_cover_1280x1024_main.jpg]*masculinity*[/a]

The funny thing is, the picture I linked to is more upbeat than those character designs.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
That left... hand.. gauntlet.. whatever the hell it is looks ridiculous. It's like he's replaced his arm with some hydraulic claw like the dude from Cursed Earth in first Judge Dredd movie. The helm, looks alright, doesn't really invoke the shogun/warlord thing the original did though - but I guess he isn't japanese this time, so fits I guess... dun know what to say about that choice. Splinter still looks awesome though.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm scared that if I get too close to Splinter, I'll catch the bubonic plaque or rabies. Shredder looks like a bunch of fucking metal just collided together and made a human. Anyway, both are pretty lame.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Splinter looks like a Power Rangers villain, and Splint looks fine to me.

Then again, I never really liked TMNT thought for some reason I liked Splinter.
I won't watch this film, but I'm glad at least I don't hate that design of Splinter.

How are they going to explain Splinter's existence if the TNMT were deliberately made? And WHY make Superheroes out of turtles? Why not... Sharks... ;)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Splinter looks like a Sumatran rat monkey.

Anyone who knows what I'm talking about knows that this is not a good thing.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Well Splinter looks like splinter now, and much better than he did as that derpy toy we saw a few months ago. Shredder looks like a transformer. That armor has to weigh a couple hundred pounds.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Of the two, Splinter will likely look the most familiar: A human-sized bipedal rat with gray/brown fur wearing a red-ish robe (the colors in the photo are a bit washed-out,) he looks very close to his design from the first animated series
Actually he's a dead ringer for his design in the second (and best) animated series.
Casual Shinji said:

ZINGAYA!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Both these designs look fine to me.

Doesn't change the fact that the movie is probably going to suck...

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Shredder looks way too overdesigned for me to like, but Splinter seems to fit the aesthetic well enough[footnote]Doesn't mean the aesthetic is any good however. Looks like they've all been vomited out.[/footnote].

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Hey, Splinter looks pretty much exactly how he did in the 2003 cartoon; so they've got at least one thing spot on.
Shredder looks, uh. Like some sort of pointy MK I Iron Man.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

Hey, if this film featured a kung fu fighting New Zealand priest, all sins would be forgiven.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Splinter look alright, Shredder on the other hand look too bulky for my taste. How is he suppose to fight in that?

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
At least Splinter looks good. 1/6 aint bad in a Bay film.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Well Splinter looks like splinter now, and much better than he did as that derpy toy we saw a few months ago. Shredder looks like a transformer. That armor has to weigh a couple hundred pounds.
Yeah, I was thinking Shredder looked like he was wearing one of the heavy armor sets from Dark Souls. A cape of razor blades? You've got to be f'ing kidding me.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I don't believe it. There's no way the designers of those turtles could make a splinter this subdued. I'll believe it when I see it in a trailer.

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
Splinter looks good. Wow I'm actually praising this movie for something.
Shredder on the other hand... the helmet looks good. The cape and body armor are fine I guess. But that gauntlet... I can't even tell what it is.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, as far as CGI stuff goes... everything looks "fine," so far. Splinter, especially. Don't particularly get the turtle hate, but what the heck.

Mar 26, 2008
What's with the new Shredder? He looks half man - half powerloader. I always thought of him as a long lost cousin of the ninjas in Mortal Kombat; at least that's how he looked in the comics.