272: The Devil and the Game Designer

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
I'm glad someone already brought up SMT, given it's heavy use of the more classical (and, I would argue, superior) Order-versus-Chaos axis of cosmic morality.

It's a shame the article didn't go into the "ghosts" part of that trinity a bit more. Our relationship with the dead is more interesting than the old "Good Spirits, Bad Spirits".

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Come to think of it, I believe Diablo had something to do with devils somewhere in one of the games...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Gralian said:
lomylithruldor said:
I see what you say and i will admit i have never played any MegaTen games beyond the Persona series (3 and 4) which didn't really deal with concepts of heaven and hell in such a way. However i was more responding to the article when it talks about the creatures that we shoot at on screen. I don't mean in terms of plot and story because the author of this article does not deal with that. "Your conscious mind might not immediately associate those Grunts and Brutes with imps and demons". This is what i mean. It is in character design and symbolism not an in depth plot based around the concept. It's "oh, these aliens look demonic and are the 'evil' ones, therefore they are agents of the devil" not "here is a plot about *actual* demons causing a ruckus, humans in the middle, and angels trying to set everything right". I am arguing with the author that you can't just say "Oh look at (generic alien or enemy) it must be an agent of the devil because it's represented as such metaphorically". Beside the MegaTen games though, could you think of another series of games that deals with such themes as heaven and hell in a serious and literal way? Chances are no, and if you can, they would certainly be in the minority - in a 'niche' category.
The closest things I can think of to those SMT games would be the previously mentioned Diablo series, and at least some of the Ultima series. Ultima did not do it in a way that was as direct as the other two, however it did have a large collection of morality, demons, and a few ghosts. I still find the conversations with the Will o' wisps in Ultima VI kind of odd.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Congrats, you can apply one set of literary analysis to a work of art. Now go do the same where you read everything as being about communists, homosexuality, animal rights or your personal daddy/mommy issues. It's neato if you've never thought about it before but you can put a morality template onto anything.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
No wonder I dont like the Halo franchise.

However I am looking forward to kicking zombies in the arse soon! :D

EDIT: Also, I dont know why everyone seems to be acting like dicks about the article... sorry about that.

civver

May 15, 2009
I suppose there are demons and angels in every game. If you define "angel" as "good guy with powers or abilities" and "devil" as the same, with "good" replaced by "bad".

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Great ^~^! Now I wonder if a game based on angels fighting demons (and vice versa) would sell better than games with implied demons and angels?

Feb 14, 2008
I like having monsters to shoot at.

Especially when those monsters are not the usual monsters.

Such as, say, angels.

Or people, forced against their will.