Tumblr Convention "Disaster" Unfolds at Illinois' DashCon

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Tumblr Convention "Disaster" Unfolds at Illinois' DashCon

Mismanagement, cancellations, confusion and accusations of fraud fly at gathering of Tumblr users

DashCon, a startup fandom convention that aimed to be "the largest gathering of Tumblr users to date" took place over the weekend at a hotel in Schaumburg, Illinois... and has been widely described as "a complete disaster" with social media having been flooded since Friday night (July 11th) with reports of organizational ineptitude, poor planning, chaotic crowd behavior and shady, possibly fraudulent, financial doings.

Late Friday night, blogs and videos from attendees began hitting the web describing the dissolution of committees, disorganized (or nonexistant) panels, nearly-empty event rooms and alleging that minors were being admitted to sexually-explicit 18+ events. In addition, the convention's most prominent celebrity guests, the Welcome to Night Vale podcast, canceled their appearance [http://happierman.tumblr.com/post/91567505339/apologies-to-fans-in-northern-illinois] after discovering that DashCon's organizers were unable to pay them as had been agreed. The convention staff offered to compensate those who had reserved seats for Night Vale with entry into a raffle and "an extra hour with the ball pit." (Ball pit pictured above.)

At one point, panicked attendees were informed that the hotel hosting the event was demanding an additional $17,000 (owing to a supposed misunderstanding over whether DashCon would be required to pay before or after the weekend) or the con would be immediately shut down. An "emergency" fundraising drive was organized largely via PayPal (meaning that the money would not actually have been immediately available), the funds from which were for a time (and may still be) unaccounted for - as the hotel staff apparently denied having asked for it. (Blogs listing various other purchases and/or causes that $17k could've gone to instead appeared immediately. [http://thingsyoucouldbuywithdashcon17k.tumblr.com/])

Meanwhile, as the fundraiser debacle was unfolding, there were reports (and scattered video record) of confused/upset attendees having turned their ire on the hotel and its staff... by "protest-singing" songs from Les Miserables, flashing "Homestuck gang-signs" and throwing up the Mockingjay Salute from The Hunger Games.

The hotel has not issued any sort of public statement. DashCon's organizers have begun issuing statements, [http://dashcon.tumblr.com/post/91532419341/the-explanation] though the situation appears to still be unfolding.

Sources: ONTD [http://observationdeck.io9.com/when-fandom-falls-apart-dashcon-edition-1604303148]

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Whut? All understood is that a bunch of random people showed up and made a mess of a hotel.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
A WHOLE HOUR IN THE BALL PIT?! That's like way better than a whole year in Disneyland!

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
The ball pit is hilarious! :D Imagine spending 60+ dollars on your ticket, expecting to see the Welcome to Night Vale crew and being offered an extra hour in the ball pit after WtNV canceled their performance. Totally worth it? Money well spent!

EDIT: I just want to point out that this wasn't an official Tumblr convention. The site is in no way affiliated with this event.

EDIT2: This also wasn't a "SJW con". It was a con for different fandoms, like Sherlock, Dr. Who, Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries, MLP etc.

Feb 9, 2011
Hdawger said:
A WHOLE HOUR IN THE BALL PIT?! That's like way better than a whole year in Disneyland!
I hear your convention was a disaster. No worries, we got a coupon for a free hour in the ball pit. :D

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I know it's going to be done to hell in this thread, but I don't care, it needs to be said:

This seems pretty much appropriate for a Tumblr convention. Tumblr is really the only (popular) social media site that I have genuine problems with. The site is crawling with disingenuous hypocrites, each engaged in a constant uphill battle to prove they're more "unique", more "socially aware", and more "quirky" than every other Tumblr user.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Uhura said:
The ball pit is hilarious! :D Imagine spending 60+ dollars on your ticket, expecting to see the Welcome to Night Vale crew and being offered an extra hour in the ball pit after WtNV canceled their performance. Totally worth it? Money well spent!
You know, if it turned out that this whole thing was an elaborate prank ogranised by someone from /b/ or wherelse, I wouldn't even blink. I mean for fuck's sake, a ball pit!?

I wonder what a MTG draft there would be like....

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
OMG Trigger warning guys. Do not read if you are offended by terminal stupidity...

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Besides the mandatory "sounds exactly like a Tumblr convention". I kinda ask myself who had this brilliant idea? I mean I'm not into any of this but it sounds to me as stupid as a "We use FB, we might as well have a Con"

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Ninjamedic said:
You know, if it turned out that this whole thing was an elaborate prank ogranised by someone from /b/ or wherelse, I wouldn't even blink. I mean for fuck's sake, a ball pit!?
Yeah, I know what you mean. The whole thing sounds absurd. It makes a bit more sense if you consider that a lot of the people involved organizing the event were apparently teens and the two co-owners of the DashCon LLP were a 32-year-old novelist (or "novelist") and a 20-year-old uni student. It doesn't sound like that either of them had any IRL experience in organizing an event like this. In that sense I'm not that surprised that the event turned out to be such a trainwreck.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Super Not Cosmo said:
The only upside to all this was that it was in Schaumburg IL and there's a Medieval Times there. Worse to worse they could have went and ate some really small chickens with their hands and got shit faced watching dudes on horseback do this and that. Maybe buy a replica sword on your way out and call it a night.
Wished I'd have known about that, I ain't that far from IL right now, and that actually sounds like an experience...

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Redlin5 said:
The ball pit is the best part about all of this.

Hey Escapist, can we have a ball pit for expo?
Someone needs to come up with ball pit con. No guests, no panels, just room after room of ball pits.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ashley Blalock said:
Redlin5 said:
The ball pit is the best part about all of this.

Hey Escapist, can we have a ball pit for expo?
Someone needs to come up with ball pit con. No guests, no panels, just room after room of ball pits.
And then follow it with a bleach and decontamination convention.