PS3 Firmware Update Coming in September

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
PS3 Firmware Update Coming in September

Version 3.0 of the PlayStation 3's firmware update will make its debut on September 1, and while it doesn't drastically change the way the system works, it brings a few new features to the table.

Sony certainly isn't reinventing the wheel when it comes to the 3.0 firmware update for the PS3. This is far from a total rehaul for the system in the fashion of Microsoft's New Xbox Experience - it's just a few tweaks and additions that should hopefully make the experience more enjoyable and elegant.

"First, you'll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar)," Sony's Eric Lempel said. "We've enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it's easier and even more intuitive to use. We've also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience."

New features include a "What's New" section that replaces the Information Board with a stylish interactive display of PlayStation-related content, a Status Indicator that shows you basic info (friends online, messages, etc) on the top right of the screen, a redesigned Friends List, new ways to display Trophies and the arrival of "dynamic custom themes and avatars," which will come in normal and premium varieties.

Premium, huh? That sounds expensive. In the demo [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/18/playstation-3-firmware-v3-00-update/] Lempel gives over at the PlayStation blog, he shows off a neat LittleBigPlanet premium theme that replaces all the XMB icons with LBP-style ones and has a Sackboy running in the background. It looked nice, and it would be nice if this kind of thing was free, but it's probably not.

"It's kind of another category within premium things, so it's another level," Lempel told G4TV [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/698429/PSNs-New-Premium-Avatars-And-Dynamic-Themes----What-Are-They.html]. "We've got some themes today that can do some limited functionality, these gives the developer a great deal of tools to make them really exciting and do a lot with them."

Same goes for premium avatars, though they probably won't have any real "premium" functionality. Instead, some avatars will cost money depending on whether or it's attached to an IP or it cost money to make, so, like, a Nathan Drake avatar might be a premium and require you to pay. It doesn't seem like it's totally set in stone yet, but paying for a Nathan Drake user icon? I think I'll pass.

3.0 will hit on September 1, the same date as the PS3 Slim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93974-Sony-Reveals-PS3-Slim-Drops-PS3-Prices-to-299].

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Since when did business become about copying what everyone else is doing? It looks basically the same as the NXE.

No wonder the Wii is owning this generation.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Some of that sounds nice, like the friends list redesign etc. I am, however, always wary of the phrase " more intuitive" from a big company. I really don't have that much of a problem with the way the UI is right now, so I hope they don't change it too much.

Mister Ash

Aug 19, 2008
I'm not sure about this whole 'premium' idea.... how much does it actually cost to make an avatar? not much I'm guessing, but they'll probably still charge something daft like £0.99...

Themes I can understand a bit more work going into, with animation and all that, but again, I can envisage them being stupidly overpriced.

and the store idea, while making it easier to find what you're looking for (which isn't really hard, even now), makes it all a bit more cluttered.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Joshimodo said:
It looks basically the same as the NXE.
actually it would be the other way around, since the XMB came out first and secondly that looks nothing like the nxe at all

i think some of the features in it are darn cool, like showing what DLC is available for the game you have selected, and of course the animated premium themes, i'd actually pay for those instead of the ones they have now

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Onmi said:
... It's not that big of a change, they just moved the bar to the side. Seriously.
actually no that's the PSN link on your XMB, i'm pretty sure it still goes across the middle

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
that looks nothing like the nxe at all
Except for:
cleverlymadeup said:
i think some of the features in it are darn cool, like showing what DLC is available for the game you have selected, and of course the animated premium themes, i'd actually pay for those instead of the ones they have now
Since NXE doesn't have that...Oh, wait.

Not to mention they flipped the XMB (so it's now like the NXE), then added chunky, rounded boxes.

Sony and Microsoft are like the bickering boy and girl in school who copy each other due to having a crush on each other.

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
If only they'd add something I'm interested in...like a good PS2 emulator >.>

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
What the hell is a Xross and how are you supposed to pronounce it? Zross? Exross? Crossross?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Onmi said:
dommyuk said:
*Grabs headphones and wraps them around your neck squeezing* Personally I would prefer a voice chat feature rather let them perfect PS2 emulation so that I don't have to go "how do I shot web?"
Hey you have to go with that you're given, and in this case you were given *snerks* text chat.

Also as much as you can keep counter-raging about it the fact remains that some people really do want total backwards compatibility like the PS2 had with the PS1. When you remove a highly lauded feature from one generation to the next, people tend to be put out just a tad.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Oh good, we haven't had an update for a while, and hmmm... new trophy displays, this could be a good thing.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Onmi said:
AceDiamond said:
Onmi said:
dommyuk said:
*Grabs headphones and wraps them around your neck squeezing* Personally I would prefer a voice chat feature rather let them perfect PS2 emulation so that I don't have to go "how do I shot web?"
Hey you have to go with that you're given, and in this case you were given *snerks* text chat.
Well we have it IN-Game I just want it ALL THE TIME (Voice Chat I mean) Although I got a keyboard for ease of use, I wonder how many Keyboards my 360 can use *Intermission* alright none. It is however great for cooking steak!

Ace don't make me punch you in the ovaries.
Wait... there is a voice chat feature, i have talked to my friend with video chat, BTW if u dont hav a camera, it is just voice chat with a blank background, And my 60g playes ps2 games fine

Even if u have some special problem with the video chat option without video, i have played flash games on the browser with a keyboard, im sure you could just go through a website with mikes, or just talk on a private ingame room. I dont see the problem you have here

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Cross Game chat is what I want. It's the only cookie that MS dangles over Sony users with a malicious grin on their face. It's the best thing to happen to gaming since the analog stick.... okay, maybe it's not THAT good, but it is nice. It's about the only reason I subscribe to XBL.

ps2 emulation would be nice too, but I own a 60gb, so it's no sweat off my ass.