All-New TMNT Gets All-New Ninja Rap

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
All-New TMNT Gets All-New Ninja Rap

Is it a no ninja no ninja no?

For good or ill, one of the most memorable contributions to popular culture spinning out of the live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies was "Ninja Rap," [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_K6971WmAs] a track by (then) momentarily-hot hip-hop artist Vanilla Ice that appeared on the soundtrack to TMNT II: The Secret of The Ooze.

As it turns out, this tradition will continue into the 21st Century. The soundtrack (from Atlantic Records) to the new Michael Bay-produced TMNT reboot from director Jonathan Liebesman prominently features "Shell Shocked," [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss1EHSuT1A] an all-new TMNT-themed track by Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa & Ty Dolla $ign (featuring Kill Tha Noise & Madsonik.)

Sample lyrics:
"All my brothers try'na get some cheddah
We all want our cut like the Shredder
Me and my bros
Come together for the dough
Bought the orange Lamborghini
Call it Michelangelo"

The original "Ninja Rap" (recently revived, along with Ice himself, for a improvises a song in their honor [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-lT1oOU7b4] on the spot; allowing the Turtles the extra time needed to neutralize evil mutants Tokka and Rahzar with retromutagen, doubtlessly saving the lives of dozens of innocent club attendees - if not the entirety of New York City.

Source: Atlantic Records [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss1EHSuT1A]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh for the love of cock-goblins, come the fuck on! The original was cheesy but fun... now its just one more reason why I probably won't enjoy this movie.

CAPTCHA: worth overdoing

No, no Captcha it definitely is not.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Never thought there'd come a day when I pick the Vanilla Ice version of ANYTHING over 'legitimate' rappers.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
unbeliever64 said:
I... think I'll stick with "Go ninja go ninja go!"

YEESH...
Likewise, I'm sticking with "Go ninja go ninja go!" as well. By the Emperor that's just awful....

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Those lyrics make me think of this:

Also, the names of those artists are just a WTF moment within themselves.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Burnouts3s3 said:
Never thought there'd come a day when I pick the Vanilla Ice version of ANYTHING over 'legitimate' rappers.
'Legitimate' is kind of subject to change. The rappers they got to do each TMNT Rap were definitely products of their time. It's just that early 90s hip hop was more conducive to cheesy, upbeat stuff (this was also the era where MC Hammer and Biz Markie had big hits) that fit in well with the Ninja Turtles. Current mainstream hip hop, by contrast, is generally characterized by it's dark beats, lyrics bragging about having sex, money, and drugs, and trying your absolute hardest to be Lil Wayne (or any other big name from Young Money).

Vanilla Ice sucked, but Wiz Khalifa sucks just as much. Juicy J sucks a bit less, at least on this song. I've never even heard of the third guy, but he sounds unbelievably generic. In fact, this song in general sounds really generic. It's listenable if nothing else. I've certainly heard much worse, less catchy rap songs in the past year that had some truly awful, abysmal lyrics. As a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme, though? It's a little too loud and the beat sounds a bit too dark for the source material, but I guess I can see it kind of fitting. It could be much, much, MUCH worse. Like the last time a Micheal Bay produced movie based on a popular cartoon and toyline had a tie-in rap song.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Mark this day, for today we witnessed the birth of the Giga Palm. It is for when your failure is so epic, the entire world smacks their foreheads in unison.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
I was honestly expecting it to be dubstep 'music'.
How hilariously witty. You put the word music in little quote marks, signifying that it isn't really music. How wonderfully original an observation. When are you performing a comedy arena tour, I'd really like a ticket.

Bailos

The Apostate
Sep 26, 2009
Oh god, this is just another case of marketing going get some guys to do that rap-hop thing all the kids are into!

With these assholes is easy to see why no one on the outside respects the genre. For once I wish there were good rappers handling these projects, Lupe Fiasco, Ab-Soul, hell, Hopsin if he could tone it down for something marketable.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Here's an idea. When writing a song themed around the Ninja Turtles, make it about how badass the Turtles are not about yourself being gangsta. You putz. Dear god, you just got schooled by Vanilla Ice! Oh my god, it's worse, you're actually trying to build off Vanilla Ice's fame to boost your own. You sad sad fool.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
ITT: We reminisce the good old days back when rap music was good. But yeah, this song is nothing special.
razer17 said:
VoidWanderer said:
I was honestly expecting it to be dubstep 'music'.
How hilariously witty. You put the word music in little quote marks, signifying that it isn't really music. How wonderfully original an observation. When are you performing a comedy arena tour, I'd really like a ticket.
It's not worth the salt brah.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bailos said:
Oh god, this is just another case of marketing going get some guys to do that rap-hop thing all the kids are into!

With these assholes is easy to see why no one on the outside respects the genre. For once I wish there were good rappers handling these projects, Lupe Fiasco, Ab-Soul, hell, Hopsin if he could tone it down for something marketable.
I used to be neutral about rap. Then all my rock stations got replaced by them with the announcement as to why being "everyone hates rock music". All that's left is indie hipster crap that tries to replicate Radiohead. That's why I'm npot keen on it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Those lyrics make me think of this:
(HURDY HUURRR RAP! video)
...seriously though that jokes getting old...

Bailos said:
you know I used to be like "the only GOOD rap is "socially consious rap"

then I realised I was looking at the genre far to narrowly, my point is why try and appeal to people whos opinion shouldnt matter in the first place? and now I cringe whenever I listen to Sage Francis

this track is ok....

Nouw said:
ITT: We reminisce the good old days back when rap music was good. .
Vanilla Ice...."good"........Vanilla Ice..."good" XD

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Vault101 said:
Vanilla Ice...."good"........Vanilla Ice..."good" XD
I don't really get Vanilla Ice. Beastie Boys got me into hiphop and Macklemore can be pretty good but Vanilla Ice just feels soulless, especially his hit 'Ice Ice Baby.'

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nouw said:
I don't really get Vanilla Ice.
NOBODY gets Vanilla Ice...he was an anomaly

[quote/]Beastie Boys got me into hiphop and Macklemore can be pretty good but Vanilla Ice just feels soulless, especially his hit 'Ice Ice Baby.'[/quote]
I hsd only ever vaugly heard of the beastie boys...I assumed for some reason being white and having a "boy band" sounding name they were just that and not actually respected in the rap genre...which they are aparently

Macklemore is ok...he comes across as cheesy somtimes though

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Wiz Khalifa? Really?

Do the turtles smoke weed in the movie? Because that's the only reason I can see for having that ridiculously talentless "rapper" on the OST.

So basically, the newest reiteration of the turtles is going to suck at every level. Gotcha.