All-New TMNT Gets All-New Ninja Rap

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I haven't listened to the song yet. I'm not sure I dare to. Not because I watched any of the original TMNT movies as a kid, but because those lyrics you showed made me cringe so hard that I must've broken a few bones in my nose. I don't really want to hear the rest.

Really, the movie might be bad or it might be good, but those lyrics are genuinely laughably awful.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
just one more reason to avoid the movie ...

The 2012 Shell Shock is better.

Ninja Rap is better.

This? -.- This is about what I expected from letting Michel Bay near the IP, a brown, tightly coiled downward spiral

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
You say rap, I say raped. As in, my childhood is getting raped by this movie. This movie is officially a pedophile

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I knew it would be shit the second I saw Wiz's name. He wasted a perfectly good beat (Black and Yellow) and he's never been good at what he does.

For the record, I really liked the new theme song rap that Nickelodean has/had. Oh well, not like this movie was something to look forwards to anyway.

EDIT: Just listened to it, Lamborghini should have been shortened to Lambo for one thing. Second, while they completely missed the point of the song, at least Juicy J had the decency to make turtle references.

Also whoever mixed the woman's voice in the chorus needs to be fired. It's drowned in either a filter or some kind bass tweak that fucks it up so badly I have no idea what she's saying in the end.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I'm surprised of all the negativity, I actually kind of liked it

Doesn't mean the TMNT movie is going to be any good but I try to separate the soundtrack from the source material

Eryc Duhart

Mar 14, 2010
vid87 said:
The biggest problem with the whole thing is that it sounds serious, like this would somehow garner respect. I can't say for sure that the other 90's film soundtracks didn't also see their dopey songs as "legit," but they at least were of an era that was full of enough ridiculous stuff that they can be enjoyed as cheesy and fun. For now, this is just embarrassing - the only way it would "work" is if it were originally meant to go to Weird Al Yankovic.
To be fair, you have to take the source material and it's universe seriously first. Then apply your lyrical chops to making that sound as cool as possible. My favorite hip hop songs are the ones that aren't about general rap fare. It's things like the Anarchy Reigns soundtrack or stuff from MC Lars. Hell, get MegaRan to do a song about TMNT and I'm pretty sure it would've been hella dope.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Eryc Duhart said:
vid87 said:
The biggest problem with the whole thing is that it sounds serious, like this would somehow garner respect. I can't say for sure that the other 90's film soundtracks didn't also see their dopey songs as "legit," but they at least were of an era that was full of enough ridiculous stuff that they can be enjoyed as cheesy and fun. For now, this is just embarrassing - the only way it would "work" is if it were originally meant to go to Weird Al Yankovic.
To be fair, you have to take the source material and it's universe seriously first. Then apply your lyrical chops to making that sound as cool as possible.
It's kind've a conundrum when one tries to take this "seriously", similar to Power Rangers - does taking it seriously "ruin" the cheesy charm that made it popular and suck the fun out? I will say that I'd be interested if finding a balance - fun yet believable - were possible, but we are in fact talking about, among so many other things, reptiles ingesting baked bread, cheese, and tomato sauce; if their anatomy is still somewhat reptilian, is doing that on a regular basis wrecking havoc on their digestive system (I'm not an animal expert but I'd imagine it'd still cause some problems)? In any case, I think the whole "brothers" thing is about the most meaningful subject the series has to offer so it's nice the song at least touched on it.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Bailos said:
Oh god, this is just another case of marketing going get some guys to do that rap-hop thing all the kids are into!

With these assholes is easy to see why no one on the outside respects the genre. For once I wish there were good rappers handling these projects, Lupe Fiasco, Ab-Soul, hell, Hopsin if he could tone it down for something marketable.
I used to be neutral about rap. Then all my rock stations got replaced by them with the announcement as to why being "everyone hates rock music". All that's left is indie hipster crap that tries to replicate Radiohead. That's why I'm npot keen on it.
Really? That's kind of odd, considering that there's a whole lot of pop stations selling themselves entirely on not playing rap and cutting rappers out of songs. I haven't actually listened to real radio stations in years, though, so what do I know?
PsychicTaco115 said:
I'm surprised of all the negativity, I actually kind of liked it

Doesn't mean the TMNT movie is going to be any good but I try to separate the soundtrack from the source material
Same here. I thought it was okay. It's catchy enough, and at least mentions TMNT things in the song. I'm amazed nobody but me has brought up the Chris Brown/Lil-Wayne tie-in song for Transformers 1 (see my above post). "I Can Transform Ya" was a genuinely awful, unlistenable song, and was even worse as a Transformers theme (since the lyrics were all about how Wayne and Brown buy you things and then you dispense sex).